How can I reduce my sugar?

Hi all, have just used reports on this website and was shocked to see that on all days I'm over on my sugar intake. I don't add sugar to drinks, I don't add it to cereals and haven't had any sugary treats in a long time. How can I reduce? I've done some shopping today and found that my usual cereal choice of bran flakes has got 8g of sugar per 30g serving. Yikes! I thought I was being good with my breakfast choice - especially as I have it with skimmed milk. Any tips? Btw - Re breakfast, I've changed my cereal to mini shreddies as they have 6g per 40g serving. Hope that was a good swap.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Sugar is a carb. Track that number.
    (A medical issue, is the only reason to reduce or eliminate from intake)
  • gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Sugar is a carb. Track that number.
    (A medical issue, is the only reason to reduce or eliminate from intake)

Agree - reduce carb and sugar will reduce itself without any effort
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    you've made the first step which is learning that sugar is in almost everything! I make shopping choices now based on sugar content. I even watch my fruit content

that being said ive been slacking lately. I haven't been logging every day and have been making some bad food choices- and I can TOTALLY tell the difference not only in my weight but also in how I FEEL

that says a lot!
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Also, the number that MFP gives for sugar is pretty low. Unless you've got a medical thing going on, as said previously, you don't really need to worry about sugar specifically.
    I certainly don't. The other day, I had 115g of sugar. It fit in my calories; I think it even fit in my carbs. I regret nothing.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
    Figuring out what's off is half the battle - now you'll be conscious of it. I agree with other posters about carbs, but carbs in moderation are okay. Just make them whole food. In general, eat whole foods, not highly processed, and don't add sugar. Keep away from bottled dressings and sauces - it's super easy to make your own, and then YOU control the sodium and sugar. Yesterday I used regular sugar in my coffee for the first time in a long time (I usually use liquid alcohol-free stevia), and the real sugar tasted too sweet to me.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    As many others have said, you can still lose weight without cutting out sugar. I've cut down on my sugar intake by eating less processed foods, but that is for health reasons. I'm still not too strict about my sugar intake.
  • Thanks folks! It's been a bit of a shock. But I'm glad I know now. I've been concentrating on low fat and completely took my eye off sugar. Pesky sugar is in everything!! Going to restructure my food for the coming week and see how I get on.