Help! Exhausted mom here.

Options
I started about a month ago and have lost 10 pounds (yay!)...but I'm now finding it difficult to find time to exercise. Starting this week, my baby is now staying with my mom during the day (instead of at home with me or my husband). So I now have to get up about an hour and a half earlier to take him there, and I also don't get to see him during lunch time. So after work, my main priority is spending time with him. Truthfully, I'm exhausted. How do working moms do it???? Anyhow, I am staying within my calories and trying to take walks during my breaks and lunch time when time permits. My plan is to definitely work out on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but the weeknights are iffy. I suppose if he's asleep my husband can watch him while I do one of my videos in another room. If he's awake I want to play with him before we both go to bed.

My question is, how do I do this? I already have major feelings of guilt for having to work and not being able to care for my son all day. I know it will get easier as he gets older, but right now I'm finding it majorly difficult. I'm exhausted in every way, and though I haven't strayed from my diet, I feel like I have no energy.

Any tips/ideas?

Replies

• mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    As a working dad... I get up at 5am and excercise in the morning Off to work by 6:45am. Go to bed between 9-10PM.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya in an opposite way.. I've been with mfp for over a year but just recently (last week) started a full time job. I start work at 6, end at 2 get to my daughter (from daycare, that was hard in itself at least you have your mama!!) and home by 3, then b/c she won't sleep there she goes for nap yay... there's chores lol. then dinner, then bath and what not.. now I've been up since 4:45.. 7 oclock I'm ready for bed!

We can use each other for ideas, support and motivation!
  • theaksf
    Options
    I won't pretent to be an authority, but as a working mom of two, I empathize! I find mornings before kids get up is the best time. It wakes me up and gives me the energy to face the day. It is the one time of the day I am still "on schedule"...workouts later in the day always seem to get bumped for something. And the biggie was I had the least guilt about being away from babies because all they were doing was sleeping. I know you're tired, but think of your workout as the one thing you do just for you, as a "break" from momming, a headclearer, if you will. For me and it s became somthing I *wanted* to do and looked forward to! I had been told if going on less than 6 hours sleep (up with babies, etc), then skip the workout and catch the zzz's. Go to bed early!

P.S. At the risk of sounding like a goody-goody, I'll add that as my kids are older and more self-sufficient, I'm not as dedicated to the routine, so feel free to return the peptalk to get me going...
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's hard but remember this is a life-style change for you. Do exercises with your baby. Dance with him, run around, take him for a walk or to the pool. My kids bug me while I exercise and I make them exercise with me when they do (They are older and can fend for themselves so no excuse to but me) Another thing is for you to get up earlier. But always remember that you are better for your children if you are happy and exercise will make you happy
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Melody, I can 100% relate. I had to go back to work when my son was 6 weeks old. At first we had grandparents watch him and then a friend. But now he's in daycare (which is much more reliable) But the guilt you feel is COMPLETELY normal! And you will miss him a lot! Mine is 15 months and talking and (almost) walking, and learning new things daily! I miss him SO MUCH! But this is what we need to do right now financially. I have to think of it as me making an investment in our family's future.

As far as working out goes. I do get up at 6am (5:30 if its raining cuz i drive to the gym) and power walk for 30 minutes. It's not a lot but at least it's something. Then I get home, and if my boy isn't awake and eating yet (thanks to daddy) then I get him up and going. While he eats, I shower. Then we play for like 10 minutes. and he goes down for a "nap" (playing in his bed until it's time to go to 'school') while I get ready.

Honestly best thing is to communicate to your husband that exercise is important to you, but it's difficult for you to juggle so much. If he could help you in the morning so that you can get your work out in for the day, it would really make it easier!!
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    It's so hard isn't it?! I get up at 5:30 to get ready for work. That doesn't include the 2 am feedings. I don't think that mornings are going to work for me...I think I'm going to have to push myself to workout during my lunchtime. Ugh. I know I'm just so sleep deprived. I had the luxury of my husband being home with the baby for the last 6 weeks so he would do all the nighttime feedings. Right now, I need to do what I have time for. I get about 4 or 5 hours of sleep.
  • bkmuush
    Options
    I work at home doing child care but it feels impossible to work out during the week until just recently when my hubby's job schedule changed some. I couldn't wake up at 5 a.m. or so for a long time because any noise in the house woke my son up and then he'd be up for the day and very, very grouchy. We tried day after day - it just didn't work! And then he finally started to sleep better and hubby's schedule changed to where he had to leave for work at 5 - ugh! So, I was back to square 1. I work typically 8-5 and between 6-8 I have to get my daughter up and drive carpool to her middle school. At 5 my family is starving for both food and attention and between 5-9 it's dinner, chores, kids' homework and baths. It feels impossible! Ideally I'd work out at 9 - but c'mon - by that point I'm exhausted and I'm in bed no later then 10 to do it all over again the next day.

So, my helpful tip: just do what you can. Have a little break where the baby is playing on the floor? Lay down there and do a few crunches. A nap on the weekend? Do some jumping jacks. Every little thing you can do - walk with the baby even if it's just up and down your hall way (I don't know where you live but here it's too cold to take a baby out for a walk until about May lol). With my babysitting kids I find really creative ways - dancing with them, even just swaying to music. I know I can't log this intense workout that will impress anyone but I know I've moved as much as I could!!

And remember that as they get older it goes get easier. My son is almost 4 now and will play wii fit with me...it's still no ideal as he wants 3 turns to my 1 and it takes us like 3 hours for me to get 20 minutes in lol but it's a start! Also now that he's 4 on the weekends I can bundle him up and walk with him in the sled.

Creativity and patience :) And be kind to yourself right now, you are going through a huge adjustment in your family - just do the best you can and remember you can't do it all!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel!! It isn't easy either. I either wake up at 5am to workout before everyone else wakes up, or wait until they go to bed. Either way, I'm always tempted to stay/go to bed. Once you get into a routine, you'll find it easier though. Good luck!
  • lisa150
    Options
    I do 8 PM WALKS with a refective vest it feels good just to get out. Buy then the kids are sleeping or at least in bed and dad can help out. plus thats the worst time for my over eating so insted of eating and watching tv and eating am burning calories.
    and i have 2month old 2.5 and 5 year old so i feel your pain. you can do it and work to!!!!
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    HI! I am a mother of a 5 and 1 year olds and I feel like the gym is my time to myself! Evenings are way too busy and I'm way too tired to even think about working out. I go to the gym at lunch time. I aim for 3 times during the week and once on weekends. If I miss one during the week, I go Saturday AND Sunday! If I have a workout planned for lunch and a meeting comes up and I have to cancel, it annoys the *&^^!! outta me :) I'm a much better person at work and at home when I get my workout in!
  • meghan1966
    Options
    Maybe your husband can take him to your Mom's and you pick him up or v/v - that way, you could use that extra time to work out. I get up at 4:50a.m. to walk and run my dog w/a friend, I'm home at 6am then on the days I work, my husband takes the kids and I try to hit the gym at lunch. I pick them up from daycare while he's working out. On my 2 days off/week, I hit the gym for an hour after running my dog and before he leaves for work at 7:20am. When he travels, sometimes I just don't get to work out. If you can take an hour or hour & 15 min lunch break, you could hit a local gym, go for a run or a powerwalk and take a quick shower w/o washing your hair. Or just wash up somehow :>) And some un-asked-for advice - you gotta get over the guilt. Your kid is in good hands all day and you will be a better mom if you always take a few minutes a day for yourself. Good luck!
  • lisa150
    Options
    you can do it. The other way is a treadmill or eliptical bike ect... sometimes i have put the baby in the front pack and nursed while walkin or what ever then he is with me and am exercising at the same time. not my favorite thing but it works.
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I think I just need to relax. Sometimes I feel I take on too much. My husband helps a lot but I always want to do it myself :). Also, I've made some big changes with my eating habits. 10 pounds in a month is nothing to sneeze at. I must be doing something right! I know things will get easier with time. Until then, I need to fit my workouts in when time and conditions permit :)