Tofu

Options
prettyfacepeach
prettyfacepeach Posts: 8 Member
So I have a pack of tofu in my fridge. Anybody have any good ideas what to do with it?

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Do you have "firm" tofu? I let it marinate for a few hours with soy sauce, lemon and garlic then I dry fry it. Sometimes I add grilled/dry-fried cubes to my salads. As for silken tofu, I just add some pepper and eat it with a spoon!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    toss it in the trash...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Ma Po Tofu. You can substitute the ground pork with beef or turkey.
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/tof1/r/mapotofu.htm
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Firm tofu: drain, rinse, wrap in towel papers & then in a kitchen towel (the paper one is to avoid lint), and put it between two cutting boards with some weight on top for at least and hour, cut in pieces and marinate or cut in two "steaks" and either marinate or cover with seasoning pressing it so it sticks well(I like zataar, or curry powder, or mixed cracked pepper, for instance). Then dry fry in a hot pan: heat up pan, do not add oil, put steaks in hot pan, do not touch for three-four minutes until golden, then turn and repeat.

Silken tofu: in miso soup, you can make cheesecake too if you want.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to marinade it in garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and Braggs (or soy sauce), then bake it. I usually slice a couple of pieces really thin so that it gets crispy and use it in a "BLT" (or in my case, TLT).

Just halve this recipe.

2 containers firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    3/4 cup water
    1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil

Slice each block of tofu into 4 or 5 slices.
    Whisk together the soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic and sesame oil and pour mixture over tofu in a shallow bowl or pan, and marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees, then rotate the sheet. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until liquid is almost dry.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    toss it in the trash...

If you bought it here in the U.S. then I'm going with this.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    tofu nuggets are soo damn good
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tried this recipe a few days ago and really liked it:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/10/spicy-sriracha-tofu-peanut-butter.html

I served it over sauteed leeks, broccoli, and carrots because that's what I had on hand, but other veggies or rice would be good too.
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Ma Po Tofu. You can substitute the ground pork with beef or turkey.
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/tof1/r/mapotofu.htm

^^ yum. My fav recipe from Mrs. Chiangs Szechwan cookbook sounds pretty much like that. I always liked it best the NEXT day (when it really absorbed all the flavors.) Was the first recipe I had that made me realize 'holy #$#@ tofu can actually be GOOD.'
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I like "to-sghetti."

I press the tofu, cut into strips, spray lightly with olive oil, bake at 400 for 20 mins, flip, bake for 10 more minutes, broil on low for 3 minutes. Serve it over spaghetti noodles or spaghetti squash with whatever sauce you like.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    What type of tofu?

If it's firm or extra firm tofu, bake it. First though, soak it in some flavouring (soy sauce, water, mustard, spices like garlic, onion, etc.) and let it soak for one or two days. Then cut it into pieces and bake it.

Yummm :)

If you have softer tofu, you can always use it to make tofu scramble!
  • prettyfacepeach
    prettyfacepeach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's firm. I'm going to try some of these ideas! Thanks everyone. :)