Cheat Day?

Options
I'm just curious of how many of you do days where you don't log? I am thinking about one day a week of no logging and maybe changing that day around to incorporate special days/holidays. Thoughts?

Replies

• cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i think its a good idea just as long as you get right back or at lease try to exercise on that day:bigsmile:
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I log everyday, low calorie day or high calorie day, it doesn't matter. You don't get an accurate view of what you eat if you don't log it all. It's quite easy to eat your weekly calorie deficit back in one day. If you don't log it, you won't realize how much you are actually eating on that day.

I, personally, don't consider any foods off limits, so, I have no need for cheat days.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    As long as you generally stay within your calorie goals and don't go berserk when you do "cheat" it shouldn't be a problem. Keep an eye on your weight over time and let that be your guide. We all need mental breaks.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to log everything, even when I have a cheat days. Because sometimes you can eat something little, but very high on calorie. So even if I'm over my calorie limit (like yesterday) I log it, just to know how much I've over eaten.
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    If you believe you can resume your healthy eating patterns again the next day then I would say go for it. I personally cannot do cheat days since every single time I have tried they turn into cheat weeks or months. I would still log everything you eat though.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I give myself Saturdays to cheat. Sometimes I'll log but most of the time not and I won't go way over. I keep a mental tally so I know when it's getting out of control. The only time I don't care is my birthday, thanksgiving, Christmas, anniversary, etc.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I log everyday, low calorie day or high calorie day, it doesn't matter. You don't get an accurate view of what you eat if you don't log it all. It's quite easy to eat your weekly calorie deficit back in one day. If you don't log it, you won't realize how much you are actually eating on that day.

I, personally, don't consider any foods off limits, so, I have no need for cheat days.

Me, too.

Also, I want the data on what I'm eating so I can track my TDEE as my weight falls.
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I log every day, no matter how many calories. We celebrated my husband's birthday yesterday. I told myself I was going to "celebrate without worrying about it". But, seeing those numbers helps keep me accountable. I have found I lose more consistently and quicker when I log. I lost a little over 30 pounds last year then had a bit of a stressful time in my life. I told myself I "just wont log just for today" That led to a "what's the point," "just one wont hurt," etc mentality. I gained it all back plus 12 pounds. Now I'm back to lose it again & do what works, "log every meal, every day!"
  • binniesmart
    Options
    I only just started logging weekends, to give me my weekly averages. Used to just do mon-fri. Usually well over on Saturday and Sunday, but find that logging it has shown I'm generally hovering around my TDEE on those days, so overall a decent deficit with exercise through the week. I don't meal plan at weekends, so that's why I go over, but you've got to relax a bit sometimes, otherwise it all becomes too intense. Also, it motivates me through the week if I know I can loosen up at the weekends, particularly if there's a special occasion/eating out involved :-)
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    I just started back on after being away for 6 months. I was told by two personal trainer friends that one cheat day per week is acceptable. I just completed my first cheat day with no tracking or logging on...which turned into cheat day X 2. Not cool! I think for me personally, cheat days are too hard to keep as one cheat day, especially when it comes to alcohol. I believe it also depends on what you consider a cheat day...is it going to McDonald's? Or going to the pub and downing multiple alcoholic beverages with your wings? Or is it having that gigantic piece of cheesecake at the end of your meal?

If you are like me and are just starting out (again), try a cheat day. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Its important for you to figure out what works for you. Good luck and I wish you all the best! :smile:
  • 10x1014
    10x1014 Posts: 18
    Options
    Well, I decided that I would let today be a trial run for non logging and I don't like it very much. I kind of feel out of sorts. So, I think even if I have a cheat day I'll log it as well. Thanks for the advice!
  • Needtostart797
    Options
    Every time I have a "cheat day" I am one day further behind where I could of been...
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I log every day but I do have days, usually holidays or special occassions, that I don't log. I don't "cheat" i try to eat like I've learned to, as in watch portion sizes, stop when I'm full etc. I don't have any off limits foods so I don't feel deprived during the normal course of life. The reason I don't log holidays is because trying to keep track of every bite or estimating what other people have made feels stressful and can make those special days less enjoyable. So for my mental health I don't log those days. Has been working well.