No progress - will I be stuck forever?

Options
Hey folks,
I'm hoping some of the wisdom from all the great people here can help me with my weight loss efforts, which have become pretty frustrating. I'm a 5'4'' woman, and I weigh 145 lbs. I'm 27 years old.

Some background, for what it's worth: About 3 years ago I had great success losing weight - it was my first attempt as I'd been very thin up until I graduated college. I got myself down to 123 - 125 lbs fairly quickly, but then gained it all back. Between then and now I've been struggling with it on and off. At this time last year I was about 135 lbs, and I spent much of last year trying to lose weight ahead of my wedding, but my efforts would frequently go in 4 to 6 week spurts of eating at a deficit and exercising regularly before I'd check my progress, see I'd made none or virtually none, and quit before picking up again a month or so later. I got pretty much nowhere all year, and after the wedding (September) decided to take a diet break to sort of "reset" before taking another run at weight loss. Between the end of Sept. 2013 and early Nov. 13, I gained 10 lbs to put me at 145 where I am now - my highest weight ever.

Right after the holidays, I started eating at a deficit and resumed working out. I average about 1325 net calories a day, and am doing a mix between Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs and Six Week Six Pack. I managed to stay off the scale until today (since I know in the past it's kinda bummed me out and killed my motivation), but today I figured I'd take a peek. No change whatsoever. I also took measurements, and haven't lost any inches. My clothes fit the same.

So at this point I'm wondering, am I just doomed to stay at this weight forever? I just can't seem to get any traction, and it's really getting depressing. I understand of course that eating more healthfully and exercising are objectively good things for my body even if they don't result in weight loss, but the idea of working so hard indefinitely and never being able to look the way I want to is really depressing.

Does anyone have thoughts, advice, motivation for me, anything?? Just to head off the usual questions:
I own and use a food scale and don't quick-add calories, so the calorie intake that I log is accurate. I log every day.
I use a HRM whenever I exercise so I can enter accurate calorie burns for that as well.
I could stand to drink more water and consume less sodium, but that seems more of a water-weight issue that wouldn't impact measurements so I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Thanks for reading this far, and for any help! :)

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    How did you lose your weight before? The same thing you are doing now?

Why I think your body is not changing is because your body gets tried of losing just to gain it back. But you will not be stuck forever. I would keep doing what you are doing for another month and see if there's any change.

Sorry I don't have a ton of answers for you. Best of luck to you

Linsey
  • arlattim
    arlattim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How did you lose your weight before? The same thing you are doing now?

Why I think your body is not changing is because your body gets tried of losing just to gain it back. But you will not be stuck forever. I would keep doing what you are doing for another month and see if there's any change.

Sorry I don't have a ton of answers for you. Best of luck to you

Linsey

I lost it before doing Weight Watchers and some strength training (2 or 3x a week). At that point I was just trying to get from 135 to 125, since my weight had gone up post-college and seemed to settle at 135. I gained it all back fairly soon after losing it, and since then would keep trying on and off to lose it again, but it never went as quickly or easily. The lowest I ever got again was 131 lbs. Since then, the pattern would be to try to lose it (still with WW) and quit from lack of progress, only to gain back even more than I'd lost. That's pretty much how I ended up here.
  • Charlottie88
    Options
    What time of day did you weigh yourself?
  • arlattim
    Options
    What time of day did you weigh yourself?

First thing in the morning, after using the bathroom. That's the only time I ever weigh myself, for the sake of consistency.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you are logging accurately....

#1) Make sure you are not eating too little! If you don't know then post your stats for some opinions.

#2) Again, assuming you are logging accurately and you are not eating two little... reduce your intake by 10 or 15 percent.

If you are consistent with your eating and you are not losing then you have found your maintenance level. With very few exceptions, this is science.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Rereading and admitting to my stupidity, 1325 is a pretty good number for you :ohwell:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you are following MFP's goals?

Maybe try switching to the TDEE method instead, or for a few weeks, to see if there's change?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • arlattim
    Options

Maybe try switching to the TDEE method instead, or for a few weeks, to see if there's change?

I think I'm sort of halfway between the MFP and TDEE method. MFP initially set me at 1200 calories a day (like it seems to do for every woman ...) but based on my reading the boards, etc., I figured that was probably too low a number. The TDEE - 20% method suggests about 1700 calories a day for me to lose, but that seems rather high and I'm concerned about gaining any more, since whatever I gain I can't ever seem to lose.

So my official calorie goal is set at 1450 net calories a day, which is about my BMR according to a few of the calculators out there. Like I said in my first post though, I've been averaging 1325 because I like to leave some room for the chance I've miscalculated one of my food entries, etc.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I think I'm sort of halfway between the MFP and TDEE method. MFP initially set me at 1200 calories a day (like it seems to do for every woman ...) but based on my reading the boards, etc., I figured that was probably too low a number. The TDEE - 20% method suggests about 1700 calories a day for me to lose, but that seems rather high and I'm concerned about gaining any more, since whatever I gain I can't ever seem to lose.

So my official calorie goal is set at 1450 net calories a day, which is about my BMR according to a few of the calculators out there. Like I said in my first post though, I've been averaging 1325 because I like to leave some room for the chance I've miscalculated one of my food entries, etc.

Well with the TDEE method, you would eat the 1700 calories and not log exercise/eat back exercise calories.
    If you're following MFP, eat your exercise calories back. Since you have a HRM and know your burns, your calorie count should be pretty accurate to eat back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight there is a miscalculation somewhere, unless you have some medical issue such as thyroid. You say you are accurate in your food logging, so what about inaccuracy with your HRM? What type do you use? It is my understanding HRMs with a chest band are more accurate than those without one. Also, is it properly calibrated? If you are doing weight lifting, HRMs are not so good for detecing those calories burns. I put 1 calorie for weight lifting and use my HRM for cardio only because my HRM was overestimating weight lifting burns.
  • arlattim
    Options
    If you are not losing weight there is a miscalculation somewhere, unless you have some medical issue such as thyroid. You say you are accurate in your food logging, so what about inaccuracy with your HRM? What type do you use? It is my understanding HRMs with a chest band are more accurate than those without one. Also, is it properly calibrated? If you are doing weight lifting, HRMs are not so good for detecing those calories burns. I put 1 calorie for weight lifting and use my HRM for cardio only because my HRM was overestimating weight lifting burns.

I use a Polar FT4, which has a chest strap. I only use it for cardio and circuit training videos (i.e. Jillian Michaels), not for weight lifting (since I'm not doing any right now). As far as I know, it's properly calibrated.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It's only been a couple of weeks. You are not 'doomed' to anything. :happy:

Give it some more time. As long as you are accurately logging (using a food scale and measuring cups) and not over estimating your exercise burns, you will see results sooner or later.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give to you is do not give up hope. I did that when I hit a plateau and ended up gaining a lot of weight back. I wish I had just stuck with my plan and stopped worrying about the scale. This time around all my goals are non-scale based, even my trainer thinks that's the best thing for me. We are working on performance goals and not worrying about a number.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I use a Polar FT4, which has a chest strap. I only use it for cardio and circuit training videos (i.e. Jillian Michaels), not for weight lifting (since I'm not doing any right now). As far as I know, it's properly calibrated.
    Hi, I forgot to take this into account:
    Right after the holidays, I started eating at a deficit and resumed working out. I average about 1325 net calories a day, and am doing a mix between Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs and Six Week Six Pack. I managed to stay off the scale until today (since I know in the past it's kinda bummed me out and killed my motivation), but today I figured I'd take a peek. No change whatsoever. I also took measurements, and haven't lost any inches.
    When you first start out, it does take some time. Plus, you seem to have little to lose, so you don't want to lose weight fast. In fact, the smaller you are the harder it is to lose weight. 145 pounds is within the healthy range for your height (I am the same height and weigh about the same, but I have a large frame), so it will take some time.

Be patient and try not to expect fast results. If you are truly eating at a deficit the weight will come off when it's ready.
  • arlattim
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll keep going and try to be patient. The longest I've stuck with it without seeing significant results is 6 weeks or so, so maybe if I can manage to keep pushing after that I'll be able to get somewhere. It's just been hard over the past few years since it almost feels like my weight is a one-way ratchet - only going up, never down. But stopping and restarting exercise & diet obviously isn't helping, so hopefully some long-term consistency will make the difference.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard but try to think of this as a lifestyle change. It might take a long time to see results that you want. I have been at this for almost a year, near daily logging. Really good days and some really bad days. If you have one bad day, don't let it derail you. This is worth sticking with. Don't set your calories for more than 1lb per week to start.
  • arlattim
    Options
    I know it's hard but try to think of this as a lifestyle change. It might take a long time to see results that you want. I have been at this for almost a year, near daily logging. Really good days and some really bad days. If you have one bad day, don't let it derail you. This is worth sticking with. Don't set your calories for more than 1lb per week to start.

Thanks for the encouragement! I see from your ticker that we have roughly similar starting points and goals, so I'm curious what your process has been like? How many calories you've been eating, your workout routine, when you started seeing results, etc. I'm prepared for things to take a while since I theoretically don't have much to lose, I just think it'd be helpful to hear from people who've also lost weight slowly, but ultimately had success.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    What if you set a goal for yourself to log every day (even if you go over your calories) for 90 days? Set some exercise or fitness goals to distract you from the scale. Do this for your health and the improvement in your appearance will be a bonus.

I walk 3-5 miles per day. Thank you fitbit. I do zumba classes and bootcamp 4-5 days per week. I want to eat as much as possible because I love food and drinks and I want to fuel my metabolism. I never set MFP to more than 1lb/week. I ate most of my earned exercise calories. When 1lb/week became to difficult, I decreased my deficit to 0.5lb/week. Now that I'm close to goal, my calories are set to maintenance, but I still opt for a small deficit daily.
    I aim for 100gm/protein a day. I don't stress I go over my macros. Sodium is a tough one for me if we go out to eat a lot.
  • arlattim
    Options
    Bump! I'm back, hoping for some help because unfortunately I still have no progress to report since I first posted. So that's two months now with no weight loss despite (what I assume is) a calorie deficit and plenty of exercise. To update, I continued to keep my calorie average to about 1325 per day, and finished 6 Week 6 Pack and Killer Buns and Thighs in mid-February. According to my measurements, I lost 1.5 inches from each part of my midsection (underbust, natural waist, and bellybutton) and stayed exactly the same everywhere else. Didn't lose a single pound on the scale.

In the past week, I've aimed at doing better with meeting my macros, getting no more than 100g carbs a day and aiming for 100g protein but sometimes falling a little short. [I chose to restrict carbs this way because I have extensive family history of diabetes and my own blood sugar number was cause for a bit of concern at my last doctor's appointment.] I also started New Rules of Lifting for Women about a week and a half ago.

Can anyone help me see what I could possibly be doing wrong here? It's getting very hard to keep the feeling of hopelessness at bay.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary but are you getting enough water and watching your sodium intake? I'm a similar boat to you, I'm 5'5 and weighed myself 2 months ago and was 144, the highest I've ever been. I'm now down to 137 but I cannot seem to break it for the last month I've bounced between 137 and 139 even though I'm doing everything right, it's frustrating but I'm not giving up!