Ground Turkey

Options
frankysgurl
frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
Looking for a variety of ground turkey recipes. I always purchase but seem to make the same thing. Thank you ;)

Replies

• knharris494
    Options
    I normally just use ground turkey in any recipe that I would normally use ground beef in. My favorite thing to make with it is one I found on Kraft's website: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/fiesta-chicken-pasta-95071.aspx I tweak it a bit and use whole wheat rotini noodles, low-fat shredded cheese, and fat free sour cream.
  • dallshouse0363
    Options
    We use ground turkey in any recipe that we would use beef in too. Our favs are sphagetthi with turkey, turkey meatloaf, turkey fajitas, turkey tacos. It is very easy to make the switch and I like the taste better too.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of soup recipes I've created. They are really good! By the way, olive oil isn't in the nutritional calculations, since I have a really great non-stick stock pot & don't need to use it. If you use olive, you'll need to add that to the nutritional info provided.

Turkey & White Bean Chili:

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 cup Onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    20 ounces Lean Ground Turkey - 93% fat free (may use extra lean if desired)
    3 cups Chicken Broth, Low Sodium (33%)
    1 can Bush's Great Northern White Beans, thoroughly rinsed
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 tsp Chili Powder
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Oregano
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    1/8 tsp Black Pepper
    1/8 tsp Sea Salt

Per 2 Cup Serving: calories 412 / fat 16 grams/ carbs 27 grams/ protein 39 grams/ fiber 8 grams

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil until translucent, then add meat & brown. Add remainder of ingredients & simmer for 30-60 minutes. Remove bay leaf prior to serving.

Italian Turkey & Cheese Tortellini Soup:

20 oz package Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey (93% fat free)
    20 oz package Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey (99% fat free) 1-1/2 cups Onion, chopped
    4 tsp Garlic, chopped
    4 oz Baby Carrots, diced
    48 oz Swanson Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    2 cups water
    10 oz can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, Mild – add juice too
    3-1/2 TBSP Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    2 tsp Granulated Roasted Garlic (Spice Hunter brand)
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    1 tsp Fennel Seeds, crushed
    1 tsp Dried Basil
    2 tsp Oregano
    1 tsp Sea Salt
    20 oz package Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini (fresh)

Saute turkey in a small amount of olive oil until browned, then add onions, garlic and carrots, sauté until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth, water, Rotel tomatoes & spices, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add tortellini & simmer until tortellini is tender, about 7-9 minutes. Makes 10 - 2 cup servings. Add 3 TBSP Kraft Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese to each bowl when serving.

Per 2 cup serving: calories 448 / fat 16 gram / carbs 32 grams / protein 43 grams / fiber 4 grams

The Italian Turkey & Cheese Tortellini soup I made for family over the holidays. I made such a big batch that I had to transfer it to a pasta pot due to lack of room. My family devoted it, not a single drop left in the pan. My nephew ate 3 bowls & wanted more, LOL!!!
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My housemate likes to take ground turkey and mix it with onion, garlic, spinach plus whatever she feels like at the time and makes them into equal size balls and bakes them in cupcake tins. She usually puts these on top of salad or along size some veggies. I haven't tried this yet but I plan to sometime next week, they look delicious and are super convenient!
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I just made cajun turkey burgers last night.
    http://www.hy-vee.com/seasons/recipe.aspx?r=9014
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I made Ground turkey sauerkraut soup last night- I LOVE this recipe-

1 pound ground turkey breast
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion (a large onion)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 14-ounce cans chicken broth (I use low sodium veggie broth)
    1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
    1 14-ounce can sauerkraut with juice
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or 1 – 2 tablespoons dried parsley
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    fresh ground black pepper, to taste
    1 cup water, if needed (taste it to see if it's too strong for your liking)

Cook the ground turkey in the olive oil with the chopped onions & garlic until done. Meanwhile, combine broth, tomatoes, sauerkraut and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Once it's simmering add the spices. Add in cooked ground turkey and bring to a boil and simmer for 10 more minutes. Taste to see if you want to add water to weaken the flavors.
    I like to mix in a scoop of nonfat greek yogurt when I eat. Yummyyy :smile:
  • jadetigereyes
    jadetigereyes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my go-to dishes for ground turkey:

- Stuffed bell peppers with seasoned ground turkey and chopped veggies
    - Mapo tofu with turkey instead of pork
    - Bunless turkey burgers with a sweet potato or veggies

There are plenty of healthy recipes online for these dishes.

Happy eating!
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Spinach Feta Turkey burgers:

1 pound ground turkey
    10 oz shredded spinach (I use the frozen packs for convenience)
    1 container feta cheese
    2 eggs

Mix everything together, form into 4-5 burger patties, and cook. I usually broil mine, or use my George Foreman, but you can grill them as well :)
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey Picadillo - also works great as a sloppy joe type sandwich

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
    1 medium onion, diced
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1/3 cup golden raisins
    1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives, plus 2 tablespoons olive juice
    Sliced avocado, for garnish (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cumin, chili powder and allspice; toast 1 to 2 minutes. Add the turkey, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Cook about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat.

Add the tomato paste and stir until brick red, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups water, the raisins, olives and olive juice. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. I like to top with a little chopped olives and raisins.

Below is a cooking light recipe that I used ground turkey rather than shredded turkey. Shredded turkey works great tho...

Turkey Posole Casserole with Cornmeal Biscuit Topping

1 cup unsalted chicken stock
    1 pound tomatillos, husks removed and quartered
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 (15-ounce) cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
    2 tablespoons finely ground yellow cornmeal
    3 cups +/- ground turkey
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Cooking spray

Topping:
    5.63 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
    2/3 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
    3 ounces pepper-Jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
    1 1/4 cups fat-free buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400°.
    To prepare filling, place chicken stock and tomatillos in a blender; process until smooth. Set aside.
    Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, and poblano; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in cumin; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add stock mixture, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and hominy; bring to a simmer. Stir in 2 tablespoons cornmeal; simmer 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in turkey and cilantro. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    To prepare topping, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon salt) in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chopped green onions and pepper-Jack cheese. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined. Drop batter by 2 tablespoonfuls evenly over filling. Bake at 400° for 28 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband loves these. Can make as a meatloaf or in a muffin tin as well. Quite easy and yummy

Turkey Parmesan Meatball Poppers

Ingredients

1 lb ground turkey
    ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs
    1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
    3 garlic cloves, pressed
    ½ small onion, grated
    2 Tbsp + 1 cup marinara sauce (divided)
    ½ Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
    2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
    2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
    ½ tsp kosher salt
    ½ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 cup shredded Italian blend shredded cheese

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
    Set aside 1 cup marinara and shredded Italian cheese.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients.
    Mix well, do not over mix or you will have tough meatballs.
    Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, portion out meat mixture and place on baking sheet.
    After all meatballs have been scooped onto tray, roll into balls.
    TIP: If you lightly wet your hands the meatballs will form better and crack less.
    Bake for 16-18 minutes until lightly browned.

Turn oven to broil.
    Drizzle a spoonful of marinara over each meatball. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
    Broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

Makes 48 poppers.
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump for sure! These sound amazing!
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I like to brown a little and as I am doing that I sautee whichever veggies I have (asparagus, water chestnuts, summer squash, zuchini, spinach, mushrooms, corn) in coconut or avacdo oil (I used to use olive oil but heard that it turns to a trans fat once it reaches a certain temp). Then I throw it together and mix with a little hoisen sauce (sp?). I'll eat it plain, with quinoa, with eggs and potatoes, as a lettuce wrap, whatever is clever.
  • frankysgurl
    frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow ~ these all sound awesome! Going to definitely be cooking up some ground turkey this week! Thank you
  • dubyugh
    dubyugh Posts: 19
    Options
    Tastes great substituting for taco meat! But, we also use ground turkey in anything that calls for beef.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I usually mix it with spinach and fat free feta cheese, then stuff that into mushrooms and bake them for a bit till the mushrooms get soft. It's quick, easy and tastes great. Almost makes you feel like you're having appetizers for dinner! Another thing I do is mix the ground turkey into tomato sauce/can of diced tomatoes (so it's like a meat sauce), cook that, then put it over spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute.
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites.

CrockPot Recipe for Sweet and Spicy Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew with Coconut Milk:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/10/crockpot-recipe-for-sweet-and-spicy.html#more

Turkey Meatloaf with Sundried Tomatoes (you can skip the extra frying step if you want; it's good right out of the oven):
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/twice-cooked-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html

Crockpot Italian Turkey Meatballs:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/11/crock-pot-italian-turkey-meatballs.html

Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burgers:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/07/naked-turkey-bruschetta-burger.html#more

Turkey Mini Meatball Lettuce Wraps:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/10/recipe-for-thai-inspired-turkey-mini.html
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump for great recipes!

I usually make burgers with it.
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Bump