Exercises I can do as a stay at home mom?

Options
I've always been overweight but its never bothered me buy six months ago i had a beautiful baby and i want to be better for her.
what are some exercises i can do at home between diapers and bottles and dishes and laundry?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• cameliamam
    Options
    FitnessBlender workout videos are AWESOME!!! they're on youtube or go to their website, there's plenty of great videos you can choose from!!

I'm also a BIG fan of jillian michaels (some of her workouts are also on youtube) and I highly recommend that you try if you haven't already !

Good luck :)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Anything you want really. I lift weights at home, but if you don't want to be buying that much equipment then look at dvds, I would recommend tapout, but you could also look at insanity, or turbofire or many of the others out there.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can walk or run with the stroller, yogadownload.com, or any of the things others have already suggested. Good luck. :)
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Everything. What do you feel like doing? :)
  • Loxibird
    Loxibird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took my daughter out for a long hike several times a week. I wore her in a supportive carrier (like ergo, boba, etc) and we both really enjoyed it. That was the easiest and most enjoyable exercise for me.
  • zahra51
    zahra51 Posts: 10
    Options
    I go on You Tube and do Leslie Sansone. They are walking programs, that turn cardio. There are 1 mile to 5 miles. Just what you have time for. 15 minutes is a 1 mile. 30 min. a 2 mile.
    Also After my daughter was born, I did squats at the sink while doing dishes. Instead of bending for anything, squat instead. There are several things that you can do through the day while even carrying the baby.
  • RedheadMads
    RedheadMads Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. My little one is a handful and doing anything with her needs my full attention. I ended up picking up a a cheap second hand wii and wii fit board/game from a pawn shop. I then picked up a second hand copy of Zumba Fitness and EA Active. Active is great, you get guided through workouts that are targeted to your lifestyle.

All I need to do is find half an hour a day (usually when she naps, or is happy playing) and she often joins in with me as well.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ditto on a lot of what has been said already. Options like FitnessBlender on youtube, Jillian Michaels (free on youtube or like $10 at Walmart), Leslie Sansone on you tube are great starter workouts. Take walks with your baby or go for a hike with your baby strapped on. Also, there are tons of exercise videos available like HipHop Abs, Insanity, T25, and on and on the list goes. Maybe try some of the free things first and see what motivates you and what you will make yourself stick with. I am a stay at home/homeschooling mom of 7. Most of the time I do workout videos after the children are in bed for the night. Others get up early before the children are awake or fit it in at naptime. Where there is a will there is a way. Best Wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Being at home would be awesome.... Look around and think about all of the things you could do. Do you have steps in your house, how about chairs, a 5 x 5 space. You can do squats, lunges, (many variations), pushups (many variations), abs work (to many variations). There is so much you can do; just look up body weight exercise on youtube.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Anything that keeps you near your baby and gets you moving will work. As one poster mentioned, walking with baby gets you both outside and moving when the weather is suitable.

Indoors, you can do fitness videos. If you can connect your computer to your television screen, you can find heaps of workouts on Youtube, Fitness Blender, and other sites.

You might want to try rebounding (walking/running/jumping on a mini-trampoline). It's a lot of fun, you can do it in front of the television and in the same room with the baby. Mini trampolines can be bought on Amazon.com and range in price between $40 and $300. Make sure to get one that has the springs covered; some brands use bands instead of strings. You can get fold-down ones that slide into a closet or under a sofa, or ones that stay in one circle, but you can roll and close into another room when not in use.

If you like exercise equipment, you could invest in a stationary bike, treadmill or other equipment. Make sure there is a safety switch setting, and keep the controls well out of reach when the baby gets to moving around.

My dear friend now exercises with zumba and yoga along with her toddlers at home.

In terms of exercise, it's about what you enjoy doing (that's what you're more likely to stick with).

Enjoy!
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a male with a serious weight problem due to a sedentary job and laziness, at home would recommend an recumbent exercise bike, you can rent them for approx $ 35 per month.
    Most rental companies deliver so no hassles.
    With a recumbent exercise bike, you can pedal whilst holding your baby , working at a computer, changing tV channels, playing a video game, drinking, holding a telephone, reading , writing even.
    I have used one every day for a month, and you seriously lose weight.
    You need to do approx 600 to 1200 calories at a reasonable pace , but it gets easier.
    It is amazing how many minutes can been done, whilst at home.
    Hope this helps.
  • llerelgin
    llerelgin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like my steps "The Firm" CDs. A lot of cardio and weights. I got some Zuma games for the Wii and almost all the Just Dance. I like to sweat with my kids too. We love dancing.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Like others said, dvd's. You can find lots free online, and you can buy them for quite cheap. Jillian Michaels dvds are $6 at Walmart here. Or if you can afford it, you can always find used equipment on classifieds. I got my elliptical for $50.