Need some help getting started

Options
So I'm trying to eat healthier but my only concept of healthier less calorie eating is to go salads. I know that's far from the truth so could you guys Give me some advice, some recipients, and other things that could help me do better.

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Start off with portion control. Weigh everything so you can log it accurately. Then plan your meals. For me a typical breakfast is a measured bowl of cereal, 1/2 cup of milk, with 1/4 serving of raisins. Pretty boring, I know but usually don't have time to fire up the stove. That holds me until a midmorning snack of a banana and some celery sticks. Lunch could be a variety of sandwiches with a cup of soup, or a stir fry. Again, log accurately. I usually save about 600 cal for my evening meal and can really splurge on that.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's not so much about what you're eating, it's how much of it you're eating. I haven't stopped eating anything, I just eat less of it. Protein at lunch I find really important - a chicken sandwich or a tuna salad - to keep me from being hungry mid-afternoon and eating all the biscuits. But I still have the odd slice of cheesecake, I haven't stopped eating chocolate or drinking the occasional cider - I just fit it into my calorie goals. I have tried to cut down on the amount of processed food I eat as it can be high calorie with not much nutritional value, but that's really the only change I've made to what I eat.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key. There was actually a guy who had mcdonalds consecutively for 90 days, and lost over 35 pounds. To keep things simple: Exercising and keeping macros in check are all that matter for losing weight.
  • Raven2evil
    Raven2evil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My problem with portion control is that I don't get full off of portions anymore not to mention I generally have no idea what a portion of anything is. I eat till I'm full, so how do you portion control and still feel any amount of full if you've never eaten portions in your life.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Invest in a scale (they are like $20)
    If you pre-plan your day, the tracker actually says what a serving size is, and you weigh or measure that.
    If you are eating good foods, like a protein, a grain and two servings of veggies for dinner, you should not be starving on your calorie allotment. If you fill up your calorie allotment with junk you will probably be hungry.

good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat, but weigh and measure all foods, accurately log. Losing weight is about making a lifestyle change by portion control to eat at a calorie deficit.

Losing weight is not about "dieting," in the old sense of the word, where you deprive yourself of certain foods. That's old thinking where certain foods are good or bad, fattening or not fattening.

Yep, think lifestyle change instead. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Invest in a scale (they are like $20)
    If you pre-plan your day, the tracker actually says what a serving size is, and you weigh or measure that.
    If you are eating good foods, like a protein, a grain and two servings of veggies for dinner, you should not be starving on your calorie allotment. If you fill up your calorie allotment with junk you will probably be hungry.

good luck!
    It is true that certain foods are more filling than others, but there really are no good or bad foods.
  • amjester
    amjester Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I started a couple of weeks ago, I Googled "low calorie, high protein foods" and made a list for the grocery store. Protein helps you stay full longer. Measure your food portions as best as you can and try to incorporate some form of exercise to gain calories back to eat if you need more calories. I am using the Couch to 5K app for exercise. Good luck!
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cut out all added sugars, go black in coffee and tea, don't eat bread or as little as possible.
    Eat aprox 7 whole unsalted peanuts they fill you up when combined with water, and give you energy.
    As others have said , instead of two middle cut bacon slices at breakfast, have one, just common sense.
    One hours moderate to vigorous exercise a day will burn off the ibs
    Good luck.