Exercise biking at home.

Options
I've had my exercise bike since Monday and am looking for Mfp stationary bikers to share . I'm gradually building myself up to an hour but am looking to share routines and motivation.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical for cardio workouts, but the boredom management issues are similar. I like to wear an HRM and keep my heart rate within a target zone of 140-155, which means I have to sprint every few minutes for 20 seconds to keep my heart rate there. I also watch catch up TV on a phone app to counteract the boredom. I don't normally watch TV, which makes it kind of a treat.

I normally do an hour most days, but maybe up to 90 minutes on the weekends to generate extra calories for social eating and drinking.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Hi fellow biker!

During the winter I bike with my stationary cycle out of necessity. The Winters here are far too long, cold, and snowy to take a break. I also need it to keep fit and healthy. Stationary cycling can definitely be a drag. I have found that watching youtube biking videos, especially those with some type of interval training, are the best way to keep me motivated. I started a thread a while back to get some new ideas. Not many responders but maybe it will help. I am looking forward to other people's responses on this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1168179-favourite-bike-training-videos-on-youtube

Another video I didn't mention that I also enjoy is this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3BAzSFE7g

Please feel free to friend me if you would like a "biking buddy".
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    Someone on Friend List mentioned the existence of virtual reality programs, where you could bike along coastal Californian roads while listening to the Prodigy. Sounded pretty cool. Maybe try googling for VR programs.
  • brig_1_g
    brig_1_g Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've had my stationary bike for a year now. I got one with a desk on top so that I can have my laptop right in front of me. I love it because it helps alleviate the boredom.
  • eldazzio
    eldazzio Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm new to stationary biking too doing about an hour a night. I play fifa14 on my ps3 while doing it and I don't even know I'm exercising! A decent heart rate monitor is REALLY handy to have also... good luck!
  • josimone1980
    Options
    Hi ive been using a bike at home too for a while now. I tend to do it at night once kids are in bed and other half is downstairs. I make it my time when i catch up on my tv which ive recorded or watch a film i fancy. I find that ive worked out longer as i get into what im watching rather than thinking how much the seat hurts my bottom lol x good luck to you all
  • skyfall91
    Options
    I use mine too. Even my kids love to watch and they let me get on with it. I go for about 60mins then add in 3 days of c25k on the treadmill and bike 3-4 days a week. Im ordering a hrm tomorow after my old one broke so Il have a better idea of how im doing then. home gym equiptment is so handy when you are in the home alot and cant get out much
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i find that stationary cycling can be really boring unless you have a workout plan, i,e intervals at high Hr to probably 80% or higher for given periods and then recovery periods. 5 min on 2 min off (5 sets)

the fact you have to concentrate getting over the burning sensation in you legs and breathing effectively takes away any boredom.

i find that working at 60-70% hr is so boring i give up after 10 mins as i have no targets to hit during my workout...

Plan plan plan...

if you can concentrate on playing a computer or reading a book you aren't working out to your full potential

monitor your wattage if you have the read out and try to always beat the previous average wattage, or distance v`s time

don`t look at calories that just makes it even more fruitless (15-20 mins = mars bar)
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a stationary bike, but got bored with it in time:/ That's just me, though. I needed a little change, so I used my elliptical and put on my favorite tv shows or tunes. I find that I do more at the gym. I take spin classes; you don't have time to be bored:) It's an hour long class. On days I don't do spin, I do the elliptical at the gym; sometimes for a half hour, other times I do an hour to mix things up. I wish you much luck on your journey:)
  • JCLondonUK
    Options
    I don't get bored on my stationary bike. I put on some good music, concentrate on my breathing as it gets harder, and zone out. I do 40 minutes most mornings (after that my bum hurts!), then jump in the shower and head off to work feeling saintly. :smile:
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I don't get bored on my stationary bike. I put on some good music, concentrate on my breathing as it gets harder, and zone out. I do 40 minutes most mornings (after that my bum hurts!), then jump in the shower and head off to work feeling saintly. :smile:

Feeling "saintly"--love it! Padded biking shorts really help with the sore bum. I couldn't manage without them :smile:
  • claudiucdt
    claudiucdt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started using a stationary bike (an ergometer) about a month ago. Since it's my first attempt to actually exercise, I used the bike's computer fitness test and then the program it offered me (24 workouts of one hour, using a HRM). I'm halfway through the first set of workouts. Not really bored, because I'm watching tv while using the bike. The only problems so far: my bum hurts by the end of the one hour exercise (even though the seat is adjustable on height, front/back, and inclination) and sometimes, when the program keeps me at around 100 watts, my knees start hurting a bit. I hope the knee part will go away at some point because I don't want to force them more than I am at the moment.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I have my road bike set up on a turbo, rather than using a stationary bike. The ride position is far more suited to doing an intense session, I always find that the position on a stationery is a bit too relaxed for me.

I'd suggest googling for some Spin class audio, that'll give you some variety and the potential for some good sessions.

I'm always struck that watching something probably means that one isn't putting the level of effort into the session that it could have.
  • JCLondonUK
    Options

Feeling "saintly"--love it! Padded biking shorts really help with the sore bum. I couldn't manage without them :smile:

Aha ... good thinking! I'll look into getting some. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The only problems so far: my bum hurts by the end of the one hour exercise (even though the seat is adjustable on height, front/back, and inclination) and sometimes, when the program keeps me at around 100 watts, my knees start hurting a bit.

Personally I find a narrow low profile saddle far more comfortable than the ones on most stationary bikes. The width of the seat makes it quite awkward for me.

As far as your knees are concerned, it might be worth just checking your extension at the bottom of the downstroke, alternatively check how your feet are clipped in, if at all.

Your knee should have a little more distance that it can go, you may be at full extension which will hurt. If you're clipped in it's best to leave yourself a little left/ right float, to allow the knee to track. Very few people can deal with no float at the pedal.
  • toovodz
    toovodz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone thanks for all the responses...some great tips and info.
  • jadejo63
    jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i want to go on my exercise bike and go on my ipad or something, is it really important to hold onto the bike handles though? i feel like im leaning too far forward even though im not and it gets uncomfy!