Weightloss Possible?

Options
So, I love seeing everyone's transformations from 200 or 300lbs down to 130 or 140. It is truly remarkable. Obviously none of you on here know me or my body, but do you think it is possible for everyone to slim down that much? The reason I ask is when I was in the Army at 18yrs old I was 148lbs a size 8 and by Army measurements "overweight". (After they taped my measurements I was fine, but based on weight alone I was overweight). I'm 5'6 and 37yrs old. I started at 230lbs and today I'm at 194. I keep giving myself a goal that I don't feel I will reach--155lbs. Honestly--I think I will be over the moon at 175--but I want to aim to achieve more. To the people that have lost a significant amount of weight--is this the smallest you have ever been consistently? I guess I'm just worried my body is going to get to a spot and say "Ok you are done". Does this make sense? Basically, I don't want to shoot for a goal that really isn't possible.

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    While you might hit a plateau in your weight loss, particularly as you get closer to goal, your body won't just stop losing weight if it's at a deficit. Log accurately, and prepare for the need to be even more accurate as your weight falls. 155 isn't an impossible goal by any means, though that doesn't mean there won't be times it feels impossible. Just take it one step at a time and know that eventually you'll hit your goals. Your body won't just stop losing weight if you need energy.
  • healthy4three
    Options
    I think it's possible to lose that much weight. But it's also possible your body won't be happy at such a low weight. You'll never know until you try. Right?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Any weight is possible if you maintain a calorie deficit. Whether or not it is sustainable or healthy is individual. You may find, once you hit the lower numbers that the size is fine but you want some fine tuning. This is when the actual scale number is irrelevant. Doing some form of resistance training, which gives you quite a few options exercise-wise would improve those results and will ultimately be a better measurement than the scale (it's a dirty lying thing, anyway!). What you see in the mirror and how you feel is the ultimate factor. Take measurements along the way. Let those things drive you. I, personally, have a love for weight lifting.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    people's bodies definitely have their own set points. yours' may be higher than someone elses'. however, that doesn't mean you can't override the set point if you desire...but it will be a life of constant calorie counting and/or exercise. I would venture to guess your set point may be in the 140's as you weighed in the army. I don't believe anyone's set point is overweight or obese, however.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're asking. Some people believe that the body has a "set point", that there is a weight at which your body is "happy!" I don't know if I believe that or not. But I do think it's possible to get below a set point, get to a healthy weight and stay there. It just takes work, sometimes very hard work. Myself, I started at over 300 at 5'5" (used to be 5'6" until I got old and shrunk :wink: ). I'm hoping to get into the 145-150 range, but may go lower if I can. I just want to regain some health.

I wish you much success!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will always happen for as long as you eat at a deficit. You might have to adjust that deficit with maybe every 15-20 pounds loss and maybe you will want to eat more and be at maintenance. However as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose. This means you will mostly have to practice patience and perseverance, because it is a process that takes time.
    Good Luck !
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible!! Keep working hard and you will get there. Plenty of cardio, and don't leave out the weights!!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just know that people talk about "frames"--and I feel I have a big frame. There is a lot of german in my genes and I just feel like I have never been small. Even in the Army where your food is monitored and you are constantly on the go--I was a size 8. I see girls go from 300lbs and size 20 to a 2. I just don't want to get my hopes up.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I just know that people talk about "frames"--and I feel I have a big frame. There is a lot of german in my genes and I just feel like I have never been small. Even in the Army where your food is monitored and you are constantly on the go--I was a size 8. I see girls go from 300lbs and size 20 to a 2. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

I don't think you have false hopes. Your medium frame will add to a certain amount of weight, but that isn't a big issue. I am guessing in the army you were very muscular than most non-army women. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it is more dense (thus, your measurements were always fine).

I happen to be about your height but extremely small boned...very narrow. My highest weight was 145? May sound low to you, but it was all fat on my tiny frame. I looked overweight. I lost over 45 pounds and have been maintaining for several months. prior to that, I had been maintaining a 35 pound weight loss. now, I am basically concerned with toning my body up.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As you lose, your goals will be adjusted to continue to lose. I personally think you will know when you reach the weight you will be happy with..no matter what anyone else says.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 180 pounds/size 10 clothes. *flexes* everyone's body and muscle mass is different. I have readjusted my "ideal goal" from a number to a shape because of this. :)
  • KarenNFiske
    Options
    In high school I was 155. After I had both of my children I weighed 200 pounds! I now weigh 128 wearing a size 2. I'm 5'5 and originally set the 150 goal for myself too! This is the smallest I have ever been and I'm still loss in measurements and pounds.. Keep pushing because it will happen! It took me 8 1/2 months to come this far!
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Think about it in an extreme way - if you starved yourself completely, would you eventually get below your goal weight?

The answer is yes, of course you would.

Now tone that down to the reasonable level of simply maintaining a calorie defecit until you reach a weight that is healthy & makes you feel good.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Jaycie, anything is possible. Consistency is the key to your success. It may take longer, but it will happen. Like other people said, "cardio, cardio, cardio".
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am 5,8 and 163 pounds, and I do believe I could get lower than that if I just was a little stricter about my diet again. I have a heavy frame, no dainty little girl at all - so yeah, if I can get to this, I am pretty sure you can get to 155. The question is if you want to. It may be you are a lot more comfortable and happier at a somewhat higher weight. That is something you need to make up your mind about when you see how you feel about your habits and your looks.

Good luck!
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi
    i am hypothyroid so became overweight since grade 5
    before that i was underweight
    but it really does is a question for me as well that how can i get to a healthy weight because of a medical condition which made me like this
    so lets try and see
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    The only reason it wouldn't be possible is if you stop doing this.
  • ChristineOlivarri
    ChristineOlivarri Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everything and Anything is possible. I'm 28 and had my 5th child 4 mo. ago, I was always a normal slim weight before kids (130 and I'm 5'5) currently after all these kids I let myself get to 221 lbs but you know what I'm not stopping until I get to the place I want to be. I may have five kids to drag along with me on my two mile walks but you know what I'm dedicated and am not stopping for anyone. You can do anything you put your mind to, you control your weight and how much you want to lose.

I wish you the best !!