Emergency Surgery & Upcoming Wedding

Options
Hi all,

Hoping for a little assistance.

On Friday, I was rushed in for emergency surgery and, cut a long story short, I am unable to do any exercise except for walking for a month.

The thing is, I lift weights 3-4 times per week, do Pilates and HIIT, as well as eating very well, and have gotten myself in great shape for my upcoming wedding which is 9 weeks away. I have worked extremely hard to get the muscle tone and strength I have now, and being unable to complete any exercise apart from walking is just devastating to me...I feel like I'm going to lose a lot of what I've worked so hard for.

Under regular circumstances, I'd be annoyed but would simply rest and recover and basically start fresh...but it's my wedding in 9 weeks (leaving me with basically a month to restart my normal training once I'm recovered) I don't know what to do. I am extremely disillusioned and disappointed, and sick of hearing 'just let yourself rest and don't worry about it'.

I plan to reduce my calories to accommodate the lack of exercise, and get walking as soon as I'm able, but what else can I do to retain my tone and strength? Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, you didn't say what your surgery was for which might heavily affect what you can do. (Like if it was your ankle a bicep curl probably wouldn't affect you badly.) Honestly I think this is a question better posed to your doctor or nurse. Healing is important, too.
  • Dabank70
    Dabank70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery! I can only imagine how disappointing it must be, but try and put it into perspective. A wedding is just one day... How you look on your wedding day will not dictate how your marriage will turn out. The foundation of your marriage is more likely to be affected by how you and your fiancé approach this "setback". Sometimes you've got to toll with the punches. Hopefully, the people you have invited to your wedding love you and support you and will just be happy to see how happy you are marrying your spouse and NOT critiquing how you look, particularly as you've run into some medical problems! Concentrate on a good, healthy recovery, which includes proper nutrition, and not focus on how you will look on one given day, 9 weeks from now. More important to make a strong recovery :) Follow your dr's instructions, exercise as able and look forward to a long and happy marriage! Good luck!!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    It sucks doesn't it? I had to take 6 weeks off last year. If I were you, I would recommend eating at maintenance (obviously keeping in mind you will be exercising less when you work it out), so you run less risk of losing what you have been working for. Good luck with recovery :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you'll lose much in 5 weeks before you are allowed to work out again and you'll get it back quick when you start again. Take care of yourself and let your body recover.
  • lvarbrew
    Options
    Thanks for the response. It is an annoying setback, and even if I weren't getting married I would be frustrated as it's my lifestyle now and I'd hate to lose that progress!

If there are any fitness gurus out there who have tips on diet or similar that I could incorporate to reduce that risk of losing muscle tone I would really appreciate it (I heard continuing a high protein diet is wise, for example).

In terms of my surgery, by the way, it's not the most pleasant so I won't go on to explain it...however I can assure you (as directed by the surgeon) that I cannot undergo any kind of lifting or toning activities (I was hoping Pilates would be alright, but apparently I'm not allowed to use my abdominal muscles either). As I said, walking is it. I may get away with some light shoulder and arm exercises, but I would have to ask. I just don't want to lose my tone in general, especially around my stomach and legs.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness guru (sorry!), but at the least I agree with a diet in which you're getting adequate protein. If you aren't giving it to your body, it makes sense to think it would try to take it from your muscles. I agree with bicep curls with relatively light weights.

I was recently doing the 30 Day Shred and Jillian Michaels suggested doing punches as a great way to get in cardio for those with lower body injuries. In her case, she's in a kind of squat position, but I imagine that isn't crucial. You'd have to clear it with your doctor, of course, but I happened to think of it.

Congratulations on the wedding! At least know that it isn't that far away, and your body uses a lot of calories to heal. I think it'd be hard to completely undo your progress in that time.

jillian-michaels-30-day-shred-punch.jpg
  • fitnesspro111
    Options
    You make sure you have your surgeon’s/doctor’s OK to start. Explain the exercises you plan to do and ask about any possible limitations.
    It’s also a good idea to visit a physical therapist , want to talk to a physical therapist and a certified personal trainer with your related surgery as ou have not mentioned .
    survivor experience :
    If you have any shortness of breath, pain, or tightness in your chest, stop exercising immediately. Tell your doctor what happened and work with him or her to develop a plan of movements that are right for you.f you’re going to do strength exercises after surgery, it’s best to work out with a certified trainer who has experience designing .
    Whatever you would do ,donot do it without your doctor's advice. get well soon and best wishes!!!!:smile: