The 500 calorie deficit myth

Options
Hi All -

http://charlotteord.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-500-calorie-deficit-myth.html

I saw the below blog and became very disencouraged.. can you all shed some light on your experiences to keep me going.. i dont want to believe this is true?

The 500 calorie deficit myth
A few days ago I wrote about why the widely accepted belief that a pound of fat equals 3500 calories is actually a real estimate, and consequently flaws 99% of modern day diet protocols, given that they are based steadfastedly on this belief and calculated down to the last calorie.

Today I'm going to expand on that and explain why, subsequently, the notion that if you create a daily 500 calorie deficit (either through reduced calorie intake or increased energy expenditure through exercise) you'll lose a pound of fat a week, is also incorrect, and not only that, but will actually set you up for GAINING weight long term.

Firstly, the 500kcal a day deficit is based on the assumption that 3500kcals equals 1lb of fat, which we've already established is a dodgy formula to say the least.

The 500kcal deficit myth suggests that weight loss is a linear affair and that, if you cut calories by x amount each day, you will experience x weight loss, in a linear fashion. Anyone who has ever been on any kind of calorie restricting diet will know already that this is absolutely not true. And yet we blindly choose to follow the protocol over and over again, assuming that for some reason, our bodies will respond differently this time.

The theory suggests that, if I were to cut my calories by 500kcals per day, say from 2000 to 1500kcal (more than what most modern day diets recommend), I would lose 1lb (of pure fat) per week. If I did that for 1 year I would have lost 52lbs, which is nearly 4 stone. I can categorically tell you that if I ate 1500kcals per day for the next year I would not end up weighing in at around 5 stone. So why do we still believe that this is the way to lose fat?

The reason why fat loss isn't linear is that there is more going on within the body than a simple calories in vs. calories out exchange. The body is exceptionally good at self preservation and, when faced with a large deficit, will shut down any non essential functions in order to protect itself. For example, loss of menstruation occurs in women (amenorrhea) because reproduction is non-essential. In fact everything slows down.

The body also recognises that lean muscle tissue requires 3 times as many calories as fat just to maintain itself, and so starts to utilise lean tissue as fuel instead, which has a knock on effect on basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories you burn at complete rest). This is obviously counterproductive for fat loss.

How the 500kcal deficit myth is even still around is puzzling. One of the most important studies ever conducted for obesity categorically proved it does not work.

In 1944, in the midst of World War II, an American doctor, Ancel Keys, set out to find out what happened to men who faced prolonged rationing, and subsequently starvation, during the war. The study was intended to determine the most effective method of refeeding men who had been on very low calorie diets, but turned into one of the most important studies for weight management ever.

36 healthy men took part in the study, which began with a 12 week control period to determine each man's daily calorie intake requirement to maintain their weight whilst doing around 45-60mins walking a day (approx 3120).

Following this the men took part in a 12 week starvation period, where they ate a diet of around 1500kcals a day (note they still ate 1500kcals per day - more than most modern day diets recommend!) with the same amount of walking.

The men were then split into 4 groups (each consuming a different refeeding strategy to test various strategies) for 12 week, known as the restricted rehabilitation phase.

And finally they completed an 8 week unrestricted phase where they could eat what they liked.

What Keys found was incredible.

The men, who were required to keep diaries throughout the study, reported extreme depression, self-harm (possibly as a distraction from hunger pain), muscle wastage, loss of libido, irritability, dizziness, loss of motivation, reduced coordination and hair loss. They became obsessed with food and anything to do with it, displaying characteristics not dissimilar to those of an anorexic. In fact, they lost interest in anything other than food (such is the human drive to overcome hunger).

They found themselves having to resist overwhelming urges to binge, and the couple who did succumb to the urge to do so reported feeling intense feelings of guilt and shame.

Weight wise, the men lost an average of 37lbs during the starvation period (1.5lbs per week), less than half of what they should have lost if the 500kcal a day deficit theory actually worked. Indeed, in order to keep the men losing weight throughout the starvation period, Keys had to keep on reducing their calorie intake week after week, indicating that the less you eat, the less you must continue to eat in order to keep on losing weight. Amazingly, one man actually recorded a weight GAIN in the final week of the starvation period. The body really will do anything it can to avoid the effects of starvation and dieting!

Equally interesting was what happened to the men once they entered the unrestricted phase of the experiment.

They overrate.

They binged.

They would eat over 10,000 calories a day.

Even when they were full to bursting they carried on eating.

They all gained all the weight back that they had lost and an average of 10% MORE than the weight they started at.

They started to 'feel fat' and report negative body images despite having never thought that way before.

Sound familiar?

What happened in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment was exactly what happens when people follow calorie restricted diets.

They eat less, get really hungry, the body slows metabolism down and increases the desire to eat, willpower caves in, they overeat, gain weight, and the whole cycle starts over again.

There's a lot more to be said on this but for now the take home advice is this:

When you go on a calorie restricted diet and you end up, weeks or months later, weighing more than you did initially, this is not you defying science. Nor is it you being weak-willed. When it comes to weight loss, your body is trying to look out for you, and will try and keep you alive as best it can. If you deny it calories it will shut everything down and get rid of the one thing that keeps you lean, your muscle tissue.

Counting calories does not work, and we need to understand that before we really commit to what will (more on that to follow!).

References

Harcombe, Z (2010) The Obesity Epidemic. Comlumbus Publishing Ltd.

Tucker, Todd (2006). The Great Starvation Experiment: Ancel Keys and the Men Who Starved for Science. New York: Free Press.

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    TL;DR but want in.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The men in this experiment were already at a healthy weight which is why the results don't really work when applied to over weight or obese people
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    The men in this experiment were already at a healthy weight which is why the results don't really work when applied to over weight or obese people

im not sure if i have understood correctly but if i am at a healthy weight but am just trying to loose a stuborn 5kg then does that mean that 500 deficit wont work for me and its a matter of eating healthier foods??
  • CatBird128
    CatBird128 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think the big lesson from ALL the studies is that no one can really know what any one person's metabolism is doing. They can look at overall average numbers from large groups of people to try to predict the outcome - but when it's you on your own diet/fitness plan, you don't know whether you're exactly average, or leaning towards one end or the other of the spectrum - ESPECIALLY when you consider that your own metabolism will change as your body adjusts to the diet, so even that isn't ever 100% known at any time either.

The only thing you can do is choose a healthy diet/fitness plan that works for you, and stick with it long enough to ascertain whether it is working, and then make adjustments in physical activity and calories to correct your metabolism, which will change as your diet does.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think the big lesson from ALL the studies is that no one can really know what any one person's metabolism is doing. They can look at overall average numbers from large groups of people to try to predict the outcome - but when it's you on your own diet/fitness plan, you don't know whether you're exactly average, or leaning towards one end or the other of the spectrum - ESPECIALLY when you consider that your own metabolism will change as your body adjusts to the diet, so even that isn't ever 100% known at any time either.

The only thing you can do is choose a healthy diet/fitness plan that works for you, and stick with it long enough to ascertain whether it is working, and then make adjustments in physical activity and calories to correct your metabolism, which will change as your diet does.

I like this post. :)

Having said that, I become to believe there are more than food in/energy out theory, besides the metabolism, our hormones, genes all play big part in the show...they are even harder to track. :( I wish it was as clean as "calorie in, calorie out"....
  • CourtDines1
    Options

Thanks for the advise! im going to try cleaning up my calories abit as in the nutrition im getting. i always have high sugar levels when the dr takes my bloods and really need to control that. i think that can play a big part in stopping me from loosing as the first thing the body burns is glucose. it also effects my hormones massivley!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

im not sure if i have understood correctly but if i am at a healthy weight but am just trying to loose a stuborn 5kg then does that mean that 500 deficit wont work for me and its a matter of eating healthier foods??

If a 500 calorie deficit is above your BMR and you get enough protein (and fats and carbs, but particulary protein) AND do some form of weight-bearing exercise, you should be totally fine. Well, if your goal is healthy. Trying to become underweight is a different story in terms of what goes on.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I ate at a 500 cal deficit and lost 50 lbs in my first 52 weeks.

Stop worrying about what a BLOG is saying. Worry about what you're doing, instead.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a misreading of things to me. Counting calories does work, many people here who not only took off the weight, but keep it off are a testament to this. Notably there is a decided lack of reference cited.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I got to the second line and stopped. Who is this blogger and why should I care about their opinion on anything? Anyone can make a blog and write a post. I have my food diary and a scale showing that a 500 calorie deficit is clearly working. I'm content to not mess with a good thing.
  • CourtDines1
    Options

If a 500 calorie deficit is above your BMR and you get enough protein (and fats and carbs, but particulary protein) AND do some form of weight-bearing exercise, you should be totally fine. Well, if your goal is healthy. Trying to become underweight is a different story in terms of what goes on.

thanks - so i may be doing this wrong in that case.. i do strength training 3 time a week my weight is 62kg im 170 cm my BMR is 1400 and TDEE is 1800 and i aim to eat 1200 calories a day... should i up my calories my 100?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    None of this was particularly earth shattering. We have long known that the body doesn't lose 100% fat while in a calorie deficit, so that is just misleading. The Minnesota Starvation study was done on healthy weight subjects. It's interesting, but doesn't prove anything except that prolonged extreme calorie deficit is bad. We also already know that. This is why MFP recommends a REASONABLE calorie deficit and calorie counting (which DOES, in fact, work). 500 calories may not be a reasonable deficit for many people, but it may be for others. It depends on how much you have to lose in the first place. It's all about maximizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss by eating your macros and exercising. And yes, for each individual, it IS calories in, calories out. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight, and vise versa. This article just perpetuates some myths while repeating half truths.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Thanks for the advise! im going to try cleaning up my calories abit as in the nutrition im getting. i always have high sugar levels when the dr takes my bloods and really need to control that. i think that can play a big part in stopping me from loosing as the first thing the body burns is glucose. it also effects my hormones massivley!

Your metabolism does not change as you lose weight, except that a smaller body requires fewer calories at rest than a larger one. That is why it is important to keep updating your weight in your profile, so MFP can adjust.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    It's a crap article written by a 'fitness coach' who, if you go to her main page, wants you to download and buy e-books that probably tell you she knows better than what's out there and that her way is the best. Maintaining a caloric deficit will result in weight loss - I and many others are proof of that.

Now, go forth and kick some *kitten* OP.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

thanks - so i may be doing this wrong in that case.. i do strength training 3 time a week my weight is 62kg im 170 cm my BMR is 1400 and TDEE is 1800 and i aim to eat 1200 calories a day... should i up my calories my 100?

If you only have a few lbs to lose, you should aim to lose 0.5 lbs per week or less. I would not eat less than your BMR.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    IN
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    <Looks at page of waffle>
    <Looks at year of consistent 1lb per week weight loss>
    <Looks at year of consistent 500 Calorie daily deficit>
    <Dismisses article offhand>

Look, truth is that Calorie counting is an estimate, yes. And there are other factors that have an impact, yes. But ultimately Calories in vs. Calories out are such a large part of it that you can get everything else wrong, but the Calorie equation right, and still lose weight.

So focus on getting Calories right first, and count everything else as secondary.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    "Counting calories does not work, and we need to understand that before we really commit to what will (more on that to follow!). "

Yes, the world waits with bated breath for the new break through! Could it involve some new product or book?
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
    If anyone undereats to the point of starvation, they are going to experience negative consequences like self-harming thoughts, binging, intense guilt, depression, etc. If you are at a healthy weight, cut your calories by 25% for purposes outside intentional weightloss, then allow yourself to eat whatever after an arbitrary amount of time, you will gain weight.

However. If you cut your calories by a reasonable amount, maintain a healthy mindset and keep a change in diet for the rest of your life (a lifestyle change) you will lose weight and keep it off. Fad dieters regain weight because they eat 600 calories a day for four weeks, achieve a dress size, then go back to eating 4000 calories of fried chicken and corn dogs.

In before "where's your studies," in before "the internet says," in before "meal timing/source of calories is irrelevant/starvation mode."