ahem**** ladies?? this way please!!

Options
right help me!!
i am due on, and seem to have no self control. i just want to eat anything that is not nailed down..anyone know any tips? and vits or herbal remidies that might help the hormonal stupidness?

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not really, sorry! Try chewing gum or munching on carrots, broccoli or something else low fat and calorie.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Take a walk!
  • untamedheart
    Options
    eat more protein! it helps to make you feel full without being detrimental to your diet. When i get a craving for something sweet I have some jello snacks in my fridge that are sugar free, low fat and lo calorie...creme brulee is the best so far
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    my weakness is my dove dark chocolate promises. I keep a bag in my drawer at work and allow myself a couple a day, counting every calorie.
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    right help me!!
    i am due on, and seem to have no self control. i just want to eat anything that is not nailed down..anyone know any tips? and vits or herbal remidies that might help the hormonal stupidness?

Sometimes the only way to get through days like those are tons of water, high fiber foods, and whatever you do make sure you don't hang out near the kitchen stay busy busy busy!
  • baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The real question is why? Are you obsessed with food? Eating out of bordem? Emotional eating? Find the root of the problem and then figure out the answer :-)
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The ONLY way I can resist the chocolate and sweets is to simply not allow it in the house. My husband knows if he brings it home he damn well better finish it before I get home because despite his best attempts I can sniff out chocolate a mile away! lol. No candy, no ice cream, no chocolate, NO NO NO, none allowed in the house until I feel more secure in my ability to say no.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I walk through the grocery store thinking that I can't eat 90% of what is in there. (well I could in moderation) But I also find strength in walking away and knowing I made a good choice. And one good choice frequently leads to another.
  • bbrown140
    Options
    someone posted this and it really opened my eyes, maybe it will help you...

Weight Loss Tips - How to Stop Binge Eating
    April 01, 2010 12:42 PM EDT (Updated: April 05, 2010 01:47 PM EDT)
    views: 1814
    (Welcome to my Weight Loss Tips Series! I lost 115 pounds through diet and exercise and have kept it off for seven years. Now I share my vast weight loss expertise with you! My articles are ideal for anyone with a lot of weight to lose, and can also be helpful if you're just looking to shed a few pesky pounds. Enjoy!)

We've all been there. It's late at night, everyone's gone to bed. There's a cheesecake in the fridge with your name on it. That leads to a bowl of cereal, which leads to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and before you know it, you've eaten a day's worth of calories all after 12am. You feel bloated and awful.

Binge Eating. Having once been very overweight myself, binge eating was my main problem. I didn't tend to starve myself like many binge eaters do before consuming a calorically gigantic meal - I did eat really poorly all day long (fast food three meals a day, anyone?) and then I let myself eat whatever I could get my hands on in the evening.

I weighed 265 pounds by the time I was 21 years old. I had high cholesterol, back pain, leg pain. And I was miserable.

When someone is obese, they probably live a lifestyle that supports their weight problem. Many people with weight problems are Binge Eaters. In fact, binge eating is the most common eating disorder in the U.S.

If this is your issue, you are NOT alone.

Here are some things to keep in mind when combating Binge Eating.

It's NOT About the Food: The key to understanding binge eating, as with all eating disorders, is to realize that it's not a weight management problem. It's an emotional issue. I used to think I just really loved food, that it was my weakness. I thought I was a bad person because I couldn't stay away from the stuff. But nothing could have been further from the truth. My issues were all emotional.

An article in this month's Oprah Magazine called "What Are You Hungry For? Hint: It's Not Food," highlights a new book called "Women, Food and God," by Geneen Roth. Roth believes that we choose to overeat based on deeply held negative beliefs about ourselves, that our relationship with food mirrors our relationships to ourselves, our feelings about our bodies, lives and what we think we deserve. I really think she's on to something with that concept.

Consider Helping Yourself: Dealing with the emotional issues of binge eating isn't always easy. The best treatments can sometimes be expensive and time consuming. However, a new study by Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, reports CNN.com, found that self-help treatment for binge eating can be just as, if not more affective than traditional treatment methods. Patients followed a 12-week, self-guided program from a book called "Overcoming Binge Eating." (CNN notes that the author of the book was in no way affiliated with the study.) 63% of that group was able to stop binge eating. Those are amazing odds.

Grab a Notebook: In the Kaiser study, patients kept food diaries and jotted down triggers that caused their binging behavior. Sometimes it can feel tedious to write down everything you eat, but once you commit to doing it for at least a week, you can learn a lot (maybe more than you ever wanted to know!) about your habits and patterns. It's also a very helpful tool to write down how you're feeling when you sit down to eat.

Keep it Simple. This Isn't Rocket Science: Clinical psychologist and Kaiser study co-author Lynn DeBar notes that some of the simplest suggestions outlined in the self-help program made the biggest difference. Suggestions like not waiting too long between meals seemed to make a big difference for many people.

Eat Breakfast!: Do like your mama told you and EAT SOMETHING IN THE MORNING. I just cannot stress enough how important this is. When I first began to conquer my binge eating, having even a light breakfast made all the difference in the world. Select a food from this list of filling foods, or choose something nutritious that you enjoy. It can set the tone for your whole day.

Choose Foods You Love: Just because you're not binging anymore doesn't mean you're not EATING anymore! Reach for foods you adore that are packed with flavor, food that will make you feel thrilled to have taste buds. Chances are, if you've eaten something you really enjoy, you'll feel more satiated.

Read Up: Binge eating is a emotional illness, to put it bluntly. But just like many emotional issues, therapy and medication are not the only options. There are tons of fantastic books on the market that speak directly to binge eaters and work to address the problem from the inside out.

These two of the books that really helped me on my journey to overcoming binge eating:

"Fit from Within," by Victoria Moran. Moran encourages us to focus on living a quality life, enjoy each morsel of our food, and most importantly, listen to our bodies. Best of all? Very short chapters!

"Stop Stuffing Yourself: 7 Steps to Conquering Overeating" This book was put out by the Weight Watchers corporation. It has a ton of great tips for how to quiet the impulse to overeat. It offers realistic, reasonable suggestions for how to work to overcome your food issues.
  • maffu00
    Options
    I'm not a lady, but I can give you a tip that really helped me. Water. Water. Water. And some more water. Every meal, drink water. Between meals, sip on water. It doesn't have to be plain water either, I use those little packets you add to water, I start my days off with a bottle of water with a packet of peach mango green tea for metabolism. It doesn't taste the greatest to me, but thats a good thing, it helps me to eat the serving size and feel full. Water is your best friend for weight loss :)
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    I just go with the flow....hahahaa..sorry. If I need to eat junk then I eat it. I just don't go piggy on it.
  • kirstindr
    Options
    Try vitex, 400mg/ day...it regulates your bodies hormones and reduces all symptoms of pms.
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i think i may have been a big vague, i dont mean cravings for specific food, or a daily battle. but specifically, 3 or 4 days before i come on my period, i am ravenous constantly. not for a specific thing, ie sweets or carbs, but generally. it is the only way i know i am going to come on, my only 'symptom' of the monthlies. but it is ever month. i wondered if there was something i can take to reduce the hormal effects on my body, and so dilute the feeling!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just go with the flow....hahahaa..sorry. If I need to eat junk then I eat it. I just don't go piggy on it.

i'd listen to her, look how much weight she's lost (that and it's my TOM and i want chocolate so i'm justifying it :laugh: )
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about, as I have that same trouble. I just want to eat constantly. I don't have any particular tips or tricks, really. I usually only experience this for a day or two. I just try to recognize what is going on, and keep small things I can snack on handy so I don't go buy chips or whatever. And I just accept that sometimes I'll go over and get back on the bus after it passes.

Nuts, soup, apple with cheese, popcorn, tasty veggies [I'm not partial to carrots, the quintessential "diet" food], high fiber crackers like Triscuit hint of salt.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am the same way - absolutely famished those few PMS days. Last night, I went nearly 1000 calories over my limit. It was good, healthy food, just way too much of it! I found that this was somewhat better when I was on the pill, since my horomones didn't fluctuate so much, but there were other nasty side effects to that!
  • mum23
    Options
  • mum23
    Options
    I am the same way - absolutely famished those few PMS days. Last night, I went nearly 1000 calories over my limit. It was good, healthy food, just way too much of it! I found that this was somewhat better when I was on the pill, since my horomones didn't fluctuate so much, but there were other nasty side effects to that!

i try to keep the meals i have smaller and more regular so there is no real sugar dip, but it just seems like my body goes a bit insane. i feel fine after about 2 or 3 days.
  • thebamboophoenix
    thebamboophoenix Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I take a high strength supplement of evening primrose oil and starflower oil - it comes in a capsule.
    It gives hormonal balance throughout the menstrual cycle. I started taking it more for extremely painful tenderness in my breasts & mood swings that happened the week before, and I guess cravings too but they were not the reason for taking it.
    I can honestly say that since taking the supplements, all the above symptoms have gone most months. If they do reappear, they are very mild so are totally manageable. If I didn't have such a regular cycle, I probably wouldn't even know when I was due now.
    Each to their own, but I would definitely recommend.