75lbs since last January

Options
hammondo
hammondo Posts: 43 Member
Hi All,

Just wanted to share really, I went from 15.5 stone to around 10.5 stone in around 7 months last year. Having got through Xmas and maintained my weight, I feel i am now in a position to share!

All I did was have a lifestyle change. I was eating too much, drinking too much and sitting on my backside too much! I used fitness pal (and still do!) to keep a log of my food. I also did Dryathlon last January which was a month off the booze in aid of Cancer Research. Having realised I went for a month and it didn't bother me, and a couple of drinks was 300 calories, I haven't drunk since! Coupled with getting back into running (culminating in a half marathon in under 2 hours first time out and now doing it in about 1h40m and entry into a full marathon in May!) The results came quickly and fingers crossed, have stuck.

I sometimes get told i'm too skinny, but only by people who knew 'fat' me. It took a while for my wife to adjust, but other than that, it's all been good!!

All I would say to anyone looking to lose weight, is use the app, and use it properly. Don't cheat yourself. Weigh your food (I never realised how much potato and pasta I ate thinking I was having a normal portion!), and if you have 75 grams of pasta, log 75 grams of pasta! Make it a lifestyle change too. I failed so many times by doing faddy diets, then piling back on when going back to normal. I continue to use the app, and I don't eat crap. I don't go without, but now when I have a kebab, I have a chicken one, not a Donner. When I go for a curry, I have a shashlik or a biryani. If there is a healthy option, take it!! I don't sit inside eating cracker bread, but I don't tuck into deep pan pizzas anymore! Search online there are loads of great foods that are delicious and low in fat etc. The best purchase I think I have made is a bottle of sunflower fry-light for cooking with. It's awesome!!

Exercise is key too. Although I am running regularly and doing about 20-25 miles a week, just getting out for walks of an evening makes a big difference. Don't get in the car to go local, walk it!!

I don't think I would have lost as much as I have if it weren't for giving up drink, I think I would be a good stone at least heavier than I am, but it suited me giving up, but understand most people wouldn't want to do it!

I would post pics, but don't know how!! - EDIT - NOW ADDED!!

Cheers all

Paul

05c50469-8430-49b1-b9d2-25d921c9ee51_zpsbdef729b.jpg
Sept 2012

fd69dd31-363f-4894-a7e0-bd515f1c8946_zpsa1d109df.jpg
Dec 2013

f5d1f749-8217-4a79-a941-178a375e9c4d_zps73271a66.jpg
Dec 2012

5724ec11-b5f3-4b14-97c9-c77a86f4fc60_zps4f0d5f87.jpg
Dec 2013

Replies

• harrietm127
    harrietm127 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Very inspiring!!
  • Spuggy38
    Spuggy38 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this Paul and good job.:smile::smile:
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Nice job and good advice! Portion sizes really matter.
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    Well done Paul I am 15 1/2 stone also and started Dry January on the 1st this year and happy to say still dry! Hope I can lose half of what you have!
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You look great!! You should be really proud of what you have accomplished! Fantastic work! :drinker:
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good job, keep up the good work. :)
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm a woman and I'm bigger than you guys. I feel so ashamed.:cry:
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! I can relate to the booze... I need to not drink the red wine 'cause It becomes a real slippery slope after a few glasses in the food department!
  • hammondo
    Options
    a very slippery slope in my experience!
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great and what an amazing loss.

Regarding fry light, I love the butter flavoured one too! SOOOO good to stir fry chicken and veggies, YUM!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Congratulations on your success.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Great transformation Paul!

I too get the omg! you can't lose anymore weight . yeah, yeah whatever... I'm not skinny - I'm just right... and so are you!
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am just getting serious about getting healthier - you are an inspiration! Keep up the good work!
  • JesusBiscuits
    Options
    Hot :O
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and the tips...
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    you look awesome!
    well done:drinker:
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    Just fantastic! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Enjoy your success!:drinker:
  • hammondo
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm just glad I've finally worked out that there's no magic formula, just eat right, drink right and get off your backside and once you are where you want to be, just carry it on!!
  • cynrawr
    cynrawr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love how you reenacted the pictures. :P
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Love it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!