Work same area, or different on different days???

Options
Im torn......Ive had two PT's in the past and one of them has done a programme for me which works all areas on the same day, and the other did a programme where I work certain areas on certain days. Im not sure what is best. Any advice?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Depends what time you have. You can do compound moves and workout 3 days a week (to allow for recovery) and if you to a split you could work out 4-6 days, I think?
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am only able to get to the gym on wednesdays and fridays due to childcare. Mondays I do an exercise class so cardio is sorted. Im kinda new to this lifting malarky, so dont understand splits etc lol
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am only able to get to the gym on wednesdays and fridays due to childcare. Mondays I do an exercise class so cardio is sorted. Im kinda new to this lifting malarky, so dont understand splits etc lol

Then stick to two days a week of full body using compound lifts.
    Look into Stronglifts 5x5
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Shortly after my daughter was born and I was given the green light to work out, I was only able to get to the gym twice a week (sitter scheduling) and I did total body those days. Now that my LO is old enough for daycare, I split up my strength training since I go to the gym 5-6 days out of the week. I think, if you only have the ability to get there W + F and you're starting strength training, you want to work your whole body instead of breaking it up and only working each muscle group once a week.

That's just my opinion, maybe you'll get some more advice from people with more experience. Good luck regardless!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    I'd go with the compound moves then :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your exact programming and your goals.

I'd buy the book Starting Strength; it will give you a good baseline education about quality strength training. And it only has two workouts. Do one of them each day you can go, switching off each time. It's not exactly the way the program is designed, but it should work well enough for you.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think I may have to work on compound moves then, and google what these are. It will be a year in April that I started lifting and did see a big difference by the July so may stick with it, even though my thighs are mullered after each session lol.
    Thanks guys
  • 3laine75
    Options
    I second reading starting strength - it's a great read and gives great tips on form if you don't have access to a trainer. However, you said PTs have made routines for you in the past so you could look into Stronglifts 5x5 (very similarity programme) on the interwebs for free and maybe get a trainer to run you through the moves so you've got your form down. I think this would be ideal if you can only go twice a week.