heavy lifting. my full body routine. is it ok?

Options
ok so for about 3 weeks now dis is wat i do with regards to the whole body.i tried NRFLW but a b it complicated for me.
Brench press, squat, deadlift lat pull down, bicep curls,tricep kickback and skull crushers..
been doing dis progressively for d past 3 weeks.... i prefer a full body to doing it inb its everytime...
am i missing something?
thank u
Awomaame

Replies

• awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump anyone?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There's no set/rep information. Nor is there any progression and recovery information.

If NROL is too complicated for you (and that sounds like a common complaint) why not do one of the gold standard 5x5 routines like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5? Simple, straight-forward, balanced.

I don't want to discourage you from getting started, but designing your own routine as a beginner is fraught with pitfalls. People who go this route normally end up either injured, over-trained or with muscular imbalances.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

I love this idea but what if I can't do pull-ups . . . what could I replace it with?
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Pick an established programme like Stronglifts or Starting strength
  • jimmmer
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

I love this idea but what if I can't do pull-ups . . . what could I replace it with?

Assisted Pull Up machine, Negative Pull Ups, Lat Pull Downs, Band Assisted Pull Ups.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

^ This, you could sub lat pull-downs or rows for the pull-ups if needed. And I would suggest OHP as well.

OP: Take a look at the book starting strength, and the program stronglifts 5x5. You don't need isolation moves for triceps and biceps if you follow either program as they get hit as secondary muscles on a few of those lifts.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

Some other people have given some great answers already but I thought I'd throw inverted rows (aka body rows) in there:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/06/inverted-row-are-you-missing-out-on-this-great-exercise/
  • awomaame25
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

Do you have access to a lat pull machine? Wide grip, palms facing out

Best!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

Yes!
  • jimmmer
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

Whilst this is an impressive line-up of exercises. It still falls foul of the same criteria as the OP's list: It's just a list of exercises.

Without scheduling, sets, reps, etc. it means nothing. That's why the responsible course of action is to point the OP at a recognised, non-retarded beginner's routine that has all aspects of progression and recovery built into it.

Not busting your chops, just highlighting that beginners shouldn't just slap together exercises.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    overhead press...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

Whilst this is an impressive line-up of exercises. It still falls foul of the same criteria as the OP's list: It's just a list of exercises.

Without scheduling, sets, reps, etc. it means nothing. That's why the responsible course of action is to point the OP at a recognised, non-retarded beginner's routine that has all aspects of progression and recovery built into it.

Not busting your chops, just highlighting that beginners shouldn't just slap together exercises.

Agreed...Strong lift and starting strenght have it all laid out

Workout A
    Squat 5x5 start with bar and add 5lbs each workout
    Bench Press 5x5 see above
    Pendlay Rows 5x5 see above

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    OHP 5x5 See above
    Dead lift 1x5 start with 95lbs add 10 each workout

Do workout A, rest day, do work out B rest Day, Do workout A, rest day

I personally do M/W/F take weekends off so my month looks like this

A,B,A week 1
    B,A,B week 2
    A,B,A week 3
    B,A,B week 4
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

Workout A

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    OHP 5x5 See above

A,B,A week 1
    B,A,B week 2
    A,B,A week 3
    B,A,B week 4
    Thank you for sharing this. It's so helpful! do you think using dumbbells instead of a bar would be OK?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Workout A

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    OHP 5x5 See above

A,B,A week 1
    B,A,B week 2
    A,B,A week 3
    B,A,B week 4
    Thank you for sharing this. It's so helpful! do you think using dumbbells instead of a bar would be OK?

Ok, yes. Ideal for strength gains, no. You should get very good results using dumbells this way, but the program was designed to use barbell.

One problem with dumbbells is that they go up in increments of 5 lbs each (10 lbs total) this program, as well as others want you to add 5lbs at a time, not 10, as that increase may be too much when you are nearing your limits.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Workout A

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    OHP 5x5 See above

A,B,A week 1
    B,A,B week 2
    A,B,A week 3
    B,A,B week 4

Ok, yes. Ideal for strength gains, no. You should get very good results using dumbells this way, but the program was designed to use barbell.

One problem with dumbbells is that they go up in increments of 5 lbs each (10 lbs total) this program, as well as others want you to add 5lbs at a time, not 10, as that increase may be too much when you are nearing your limits.

^This
  • awomaame25
    Options
    Ok... Thanks y'all... My sets are 5 of each and 8-10reps, I have been increasing my weights each week.... I started bench pressing at 10kgs den 14kgs now at 20kgs but decreased my set to 4.... But u've all been very helpful
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

thank you for your reply! I actually own adjustable weights, which have 2.5lb increments, so that would work. I just want to start with what I have, you know? I'm tired of thinking about this and not doing much about it.