What do you eat? I need ideas

Options
hi everybody, I'm a student and I just moved out for college, it means I have to cook everything by myself. I want to eat healthier foods but I don't have any ideas... I don't have much time (and will) to cook and I'm not very good at it too, can you suggest me some easy to cook meals that are also healthy and tasty? Am i asking too much? :D also I'm not american so I don't think I can find everything you have there in my stores... thanks everybody, this looks like a great community!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Fish and chicken breast are lean and quick cooking. Steam in bag vegetables are also quick and easy.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What about crockpot recipes? It isn't quick cooking, but you throw in the ingredients in the morning and it's ready at dinner!
  • 10x1014
    10x1014 Posts: 18
    Options
    Today for lunch I am having (instead of going out to curb my Mexican food craving) a cup of Progresso Traditional Chicken Cheese Enchilada Flavor soup that I will then shred one Tyson Grilled Ready to eat chicken breast fillet into. Then I will scoop that up or crush over top w/ one serving of Tostitos Scoops. Comes to 420 calories. Instead of the massive amount you will get if you go out. It's also really simple to prepare. You can doctor this up to depending on how many calories you have to play w/ by adding cheese or sour cream. Even salsa.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi, where are you based? That may give us more of an idea as what to suggest to you....

I generally try to eat what I fancy but within my calorie goals....planning is also a good idea.

I have lots of soups & meat & vegetables - and the occasional bad day but then try to get back on track

Good luck!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Buy a steamer. They're about $30 for a cheap one, and that's all you need. I bought mine a year ago and use it every day. I steam meat, fish and veggies. It's easy, you can add spices during the steaming, and it's quick to cook and clean up. It's also healthier. Boiling vegetables takes a lot of the nutrients out of them.

The only meat I don't steam is ground meat (like hamburger).

You can look at my diary, it's open.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My granddaughter is a student. Her breakfasts are usually smoothies. If you can get a bullet blender, they are easy to clean up. She keeps the ingredients on hand and breakfast just takes minutes and she is off with it in a travel mug.
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I make homemade oven chips/fries and they are really easy and healthy.

Just peel a potato and cut into chips, then put them into a sandwich bag with some oil (I use about a teaspoon because its just for me). Rub the bag so the potato gets coated in the oil then tip them onto on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 20 mins at 180 Celsius.

I add garlic, herbs, chilli powder and pepper to mine to give them a bit of extra flavour.
  • bulldogsrule
    bulldogsrule Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Several suggestions:
    --Schedule 1-2 hours per week to go to the grocery to keep yourself stocked up in healthy foods/snacks
    --Look online for things like "healthy snacks under 100 calories" -- spend a little time pre-bagging these items for the whole week so that you can do a grab-n-go on the day of
    --Keep it simple, at least at first - make meals that may not feel like "meals" -- peanut butter with crackers, tune fish in 100 calorie packs, etc...may not feel like a huge meal, but it will be easier at first to get into a meal planning/calorie counting habit
    --Make dinners once a week and then reheat them - steaming meats or baking or cooking in healthier oils like olive oil is best, then simply heat up throughout the week
    --Make/bag up lunches that are healthy and that you can make ahead of time, then simply take with you on the way to classes
    --Make yourself a "standard" grocery list of the items you tend to go back to over and over and the ones that are healthy for you -- this makes grocery shopping so much easier and all you have to do is check the items you need that week, head to store, etc. Done!
    --Keep sandwich bags, lunch bags, microwaveable containers, etc handy -- makes packing meals/snacks easier
    --If you are on Pinterest, look up health eating, foods under 100/200/300 calories, etc and start following their posts...you'll find tons of ideas there to switch it up over time
    --Keep healthy snacks on hand at home so that you aren't tempted, even when you can't cook (no time, etc)...peanut butter, almonds, air popped popcorn, soups, wheat thins, whole wheat tortillas, healthier cereals and 1% milk, etc.
    --Try to eat every 3 hours or so...meal, snack, meal, snack, meal, snack -- keeps energy levels up, and you don't end up binging, causing sugar levels to go up/down...which can lead to lack of energy, extra calories storing as fat, etc.

Good luck!!
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    College classics:

Microwave eggs: Stir 2 eggs in a glass bowl with shredded greens (kale, swiss chard, or spinach) then heat in microwave for 2 minutes. To make an egg sandwich just put the eggs between 2 slices of whole wheat toast.

Soup and salad: Heat a can of organic veggie soup or chili of choice in a nice bowl. Put it on a plate with salad next to it. Healthy, easy, looks like what adults eat :)

Smoothies: 1 cup milk of choice, handful of frozen or fresh fruit (frozen is cheaper), small handful of greens (spinach, kale, mixed salad greens). Add ice to make it thicker or honey if you want it sweeter. The fruit will disguise the greens- great recipe for people who don't like to eat salad much.

1-pot steamed veggies and spaghetti: boil water in a tall pot on the stove to cook whole wheat pasta. Put chopped broccoli and chopped carrots in a metal strainer and put the strainer on top of the boiling pasta like a lid. Then put your pot lid on top of the veggies in the strainer. Your noodles will cook and the steam from the pot will steam your veggies. After about 10 minutes your pasta and veggies should both be done. Drain your noodles, add a jar of pasta sauce, heating one more minute on the stove. Serve up whole wheat spaghetti and steamed veggies and add a side of bag salad for a healthy hot meal!
  • backflip2
    Options
    Thanks for all the useful ideas! I live in Italy if it can help :)