600-900 Calories Daily? Still going over targets.

Options
Is it okay to eat mostly fat free high protein foods with little calories e.g. (*cottage cheese, egg beaters, fish, shrimp, tuna, vegetables). I'm still eating 3-4 times a day and feel full each meal, but in my food dairy the calories don't add up to match the 1800 calories it suggests. Most of the categories I'm going over in except my sugar and daily calories. I want to lose 25 lbs but not all my muscle mass. I know many of you have been on here awhile and I thought I would ask for some advice. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I think it would be helpful if you made your food diary public so we can take a look at what you're consuming and make recommendations based on that....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to eat mostly fat free high protein foods with little calories e.g. (*cottage cheese, egg beaters, fish, shrimp, tuna, vegetables). I'm still eating 3-4 times a day and feel full each meal, but in my food dairy the calories don't add up to match the 1800 calories it suggests. Most of the categories I'm going over in except my sugar and daily calories. I want to lose 25 lbs but not all my muscle mass. I know many of you have been on here awhile and I thought I would ask for some advice. Thanks in advance.

eat the full fat versions not fat free and you will hit your calorie target in no time! fat doesnt make you fat, eating more calories than you need does!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating all of your calories, or you will risk a large % of your weight loss coming from lean muscle.

How much protein do you get?
    Are you weighing solid foods and measuring liquids?
    Are you eating exercise cals burned?
    How are you calculating caloric intake (TDEE or MFP)?
    What is your exercise routine like (Days/type of lifting, how much/type of cardio etc)?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    To accomplish what you're asking, make sure to eat protein AND fat, get to your calorie goal, and lift weights. It's really that simple.

Personally, I eat 40% of calories from carbs, 30% from fat, and 30% from protein, and lift 3-4x a week. It's worked quite well for me.

You'll probably see a lot of responses claiming that this nutrition plan or that nutrition plan are the only way to go. They are wrong. There are several valid nutritional paths to get there. I go with 40/30/30 IIFYM because it works with how I like to eat. Paleo, Vegetarian, low carb, clean eating, and all the rest will get you there too, though. My first sentence in this post is what matters. The rest is just minor details you need to work out for you and how you like to eat.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 without exercise. I've been going to the Y doing swimming laps and eleptical + some strength training. I spend about 90 minutes daily doing all.
    Protein= 90-105
    I do measure my foods.
    I don't know what TDEE or MFP is.
    Thanks.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't know what TDEE is either, but MFP is MyFitnessPal.
  • chrs86
    Options
    Made it public. Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 without exercise. I've been going to the Y doing swimming laps and eleptical + some strength training. I spend about 90 minutes daily doing all.
    Protein= 90-105
    I do measure my foods.
    Thanks.

you're male with only 17lbs to lose... you should not be eating 1200 cals or less!!!!

set MFP to lose 1lb per week and eat back your exercise cals. all you are doing at the moment is encouraging your body to burn muscle instead of fat.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which means how much calories your body burns daily taking in account for activity level. Then you can subtract x amount of calories from that to lose weight.

MFP is My Fitness Pal. They do a calculation for you to lose weight and you are supposed to eat back the calories your burned from exercise.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Protein= 90-105
    I do measure my foods.
    Thanks.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The total number of calories you burn in a day. It is made of of you BMR and all other activities you perform throughout the day, including the thermogenic effect of food. This is the number of calories you need to eat each day to maintain your weight.
    Your BMR is your basal metabolic rate or how many calories your body burns daily simply from existing.

So if you're a couch potato, your tdee will be much lower than if you are an active person.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you eat your fats and proteins. They are required for basic bodily functions.
    Eat regular eggs and such.
  • chrs86
    Options
    Appreciate the advice from everyone. Thanks all.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I went back 2 weeks and you just logged the last few days. I am no expert but my personal opinion is that you are not eating anywhere near enough - especially for a male with so little left to lose. Yes, I know you are impatient and want to reach your goal ASAP but this is not the way to do it and maintain your goal. Please read the above comments as many of them are hitting the nail on the head.

ETA: "fat free" is not a great way to go about weight loss either. If it were then there would not be an obesity epidemic.
  • chrs86
    Options
    I forgot you can update the goals. I did change it to 1lb per week and the targets and such make much more sense. Thank you.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You are severely under eating. Eat full fat foods, eat your carbs and increase your protein. With less than 20#'s to lose your weight loss goal should be between .5-1Lb loss a week. Tryin to do more than that is extremely hard on your body and not condusive to optima fat loss. Please increase your intake to optimal levels for your height, weight, activity level, and amount you have to lose. By doing this you will create a plan that you can stick to and will deliver the results you are looking for.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese for lunch? I think that is where I would start.

That is not enough for anybody.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I forgot you can update the goals. I did change it to 1lb per week and the targets and such make much more sense. Thank you.
    Just remember the protein and fat goals are minimum goals. Please eat at least that many and don't be afraid to eat more in those areas. You can trade in carb cals to make your cal goal.
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1. You know how to eat more than 600 to 900 calories per day or you wouldn't have 17 lbs to lose so I won't advise on that.
    2. Your body can't use stored fat to make vitamins, minerals, protien, or carbohydrates which it needs to maintain function and muscle mass so when your diet doesn't provide these things it will tear down bone and muscle to get them
    3. It is generally suggested that women eat at least 1200 cal per day and men at least 1800 cal per day even when dieting to ensure that you maintain good health and don't sacrifice lean body mass (only exception is medically supervised diets and very small adults)
    4. To lose weight the healthy way eat at least your minimum recommended calories with a focus on making sure you get at least the minimum recommended protien (preferably more) and incorporate excersize including resistance training
    5. For more detailed advice and an excellent primer on some of the terms you saw above go to the stickied posts in the MFP group Eat Train Progress - the stickied posts in the Getting Started section of this forum are also an excellent resource.

Happy Weight Loss
  • Badjelly44
    Options
    I've just stared back after a year off of eating what I wanted and doing no exercise, a switch flicked in my head and now I'm back on it. Have recruited a personal trainer who runs a 'cross fit' gym.. the guys there intelligent, understand about weight loss and body shape and fitness.

I agree with the advice here, ditch the 'fat free'.they're often stacked with sugar - you're better to eat a knob of butter than a 'low fat' substitute. Eat plenty of protein and oily fish... avocado is amazing - keeps you full, tastes great and the 'fat' is a good fat and will, in the long term actually help your weight loss. Even a few nuts are good for you! I'm following as much as a I can a Paolo based lifestyle at the moment... weird that this spud loving, bread monkey hasn't eaten any 'starchy' carbs for over two weeks and is less bloated and not missing them. Protein, good fats, eggs and a FEW nuts will bolster your calorie count and keep you full and healthy.

Cook from scratch if you can - avoid anything processed, or you can't spell or pronounce (check out the sugar content in things and salt too) Keep your fruit intake as low as you can - although fruit is 'healthy' the natural sugars still spike your blood sugar levels and send you running (and not in a good way) for more food.