Must we gain weight during that time of the month?

Options
Just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to keep form gaining during a women's special time of the month. I retain water and have an insatiable craving for chocolate or anything sweet. The thing is during that time i'm tired, back aches and I just don't seem to have the much will power. However, this time I've reached one of my goals and I don't want to undo that. Any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I just try not to get on the scale. It's temporary. Not fat, just bloat. The cravings I allow a little. Spaghetti is always in order! Just keep the portions in control and the entire box of crackers in the cupboard. I need some carbs or chocolate. Cushy pillows and watching TV in bed or reading a book are non food comforts.
  • pdxscarlett
    pdxscarlett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Drinking extra water helps the water retention but I still battle with cravings like crazy.
  • annapaps
    annapaps Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I give in a little bit to the cravings during that time of the month, and I, too, try not to step on the scale because I don't feel it's an accurate measure of my weight and fitness goals. I think it's important to stay hydrated, and if I am going to indulge in sweeter or fattier foods, I combat that with some extra cardio. The exercise is really the ticket for me for getting through, and it helps with cramps!
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it is one of the 'joys' of being a woman - ho hum !!

I am exactly the same, mine is the week before I get really bad munchies and an apple just doesnt hit the spot lol - whichever magazine, web site or whichever I read on it all says the same to exercise through it - which is obviously written by a man - but I must admit it does help with the backache which I also get I dont exercise as full on as I do for the rest of the month but I do try to keep moving - havent come up with a solution to the eating bit, I personally know that what I eat and the gentle exercise I do the week of dont counteract each other - but it does seem to balance itself out over the month along with losing some along the way too.

No easy answers from me Im sorry, but I can sympathise x x x
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    Stay away from alcohol, caffeine, salt and dairy a week prior to your period. It sounds difficult, but the benefits are worth it. Besides less water retention, you will also experience less of all of the other awful things that come along with mentration, such as cramps, cravings, fatigue, muscle pain etc. Also, get as much rest as your body asks for. This advice came from my doctor and works for me, I hope it works for you too. :)
  • mandy78
    Options
    I am with you, I have got the gravings down, I bought a small bag of fun size chocolates and when that craving hits I have one of those, then chart right away that I ate that, reminds me how many calories are in that treat and helps me from having more. My main trouble is I am sooo sooo sooo tired I have no energy to workout, all I want to do is sleep. I wish I could find the energy to get my butt moving during that time, cause I do now that working out helps with the pain of cramps, but I don't have the energy to do anything...it really makes it hard...UGH
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll for such helpful info. I have been wondering how to keep from retaining so much water during that time of the month. I will try these things out. I normally go to the gym 5 days a week and when that time comes I cant hardly bring myself to just walk from one room to the other much less go exercise. I thought I must be getting LAZY. I guess one or two days off in a month isn't so bad after all. As far as chocolate I dont want to even think about that craving, i have been trying to think of other things that I could have.

2793411.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm going through it right now...I figure one or two days of comforting myself won't kill me, and it hasn't thrown my diet completely off...the best part is when I'm done menstruating i feel like a million bucks, I have more energy and motivation then every before...that's why i give myself one or two days to just feel like @ss and then I get over it and work out again. But since i've started this lifestyle change my period is way out of wack...i'm on birth control, and my period starts before my BC is even finished...so now i get it for three days, it stops for two days and then i get it for another two days...it's weird but it always finishes before I take my pill again...
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Knowing it's coming up, you can always do some extra good time for the extra difficult times. If I know something is coming up I will not avoid I try to be "good" until then to allow for the "bad".
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice guys. Now I don't feel so bad drinking a extra cup of tea to help with my sweet craving and it make me feel better. I'll do my best to stay away from the scale during that time. It's hard to do since that's how I keep myself accountable, but then I won't feel bad. And I'll be sure to keep working out. thanks again, so grateful for the support!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I gained 1.6 pounds today because I started "that time." It's bad enough having it, but feeling fat doesn't help!:-P

Shannon
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I keep a track of when my time of the month is due, and make sure the week before that I work out more than I previously would, and with the example of the past month, I ended up putting on nothing due to water retention. Then to work it off I drank plenty of water throughout the week, and continued my usual work-out routine.