Healthy and Nutritious Foods

Options
So I thought I would create this so that we could share our food finds with each other. Foods that are healthy and tasty and can assist with a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. This is not a diet. Also share items on menus that make it easier to go out once in a while and not lose sight of our goals. If you need help looking for an item or substitute item then message me:) Happy Losing!

Replies

• sillybeth84
    Options
    For your sweet tooth: Fiber One 90 Calorie line!!! There are chocolate chip cookie, lemon bar, cinnamon roll, and chocolate brownie varieties. They are tasty and contain 20% of the daily fiber value.
  • Alotalove4u
    Alotalove4u Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am all about eating healthy now, So any quick recipes that you may have please share!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to eat things with dip, but dips can be really high in fat and calories. Now, I buy plain greek yogurt, and stir in a packet of dry vegetable dip. It tastes great with crunchy veggies (carrot, celery,cucumber, peppers, snap peas). Or, if you're in the mood for salty, try some pretzels in the dip, yum! One cup of yogurt dip can be portioned out into 4-5 servings with your veggies for the week. Its also a great way to get in a little protein:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For your sweet tooth: Fiber One 90 Calorie line!!! There are chocolate chip cookie, lemon bar, cinnamon roll, and chocolate brownie varieties. They are tasty and contain 20% of the daily fiber value.

Or a piece of fruit...

I assume when you say "healthy" you mean nutrient dense...basically shop the outer areas of your grocery. Take in about 6 actual servings of veg per day and a couple servings of fruit. Plenty of lean proteins like fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, eggs, etc. Healthy fats from things like almonds and other nuts, avocados, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, etc.

As far as recipes go, just get a cook book or get on-line. Cook from scratch using whole ingredients. Remember that nutrition has nothing to do with calories. There are any number of healthy, nutrient dense foods out there that are also calorie dense and plenty of very low calorie foods that have little to no nutritional value...one doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above poster! I usually shop the outside perimeter of my grocery store and find that I can get mostly everything I need. I try to cook everything I can from whole foods. As for a cookbook/recipes, 100 Days of Real Food is a great start. She has a ton of quick and easy recipes using whole, unprocessed foods! www.100daysofrealfood.com. :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doughnuts... knowing that you can have a doughnut every once in a while without the world ending is GREAT for a healthy lifestyle!
  • sillybeth84
    Options
    doughnuts... knowing that you can have a doughnut every once in a while without the world ending is GREAT for a healthy lifestyle!

Agreed! I personally crave cake and brownies. I was one of those moms that made goodies for my kids all the time, then I gained the weight. Having something similar that I can eat without killing my calorie count for the day is a WIN!
  • sillybeth84
    Options
    Starkist Tuna Creations! These are low calorie options when you miss something tasty and tuna. Calories range from 80-110 and they have different flavors like Ranch, Garlic and Herb, and Lemon Pepper. I LOVE them on whole wheat. Great before or after workout snack :)
  • snail666
    Options
    chocolate weetabix bars... 6 grams of fibre and 78 calories each, and yummy
    also ryvitas with light philadelphia. mmmm.
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I prefer healthy over low-calorie most of the time, so one thing I LOVE is flavored peanut butter-type spreads. There are a couple I eat (Dark Chocolate Dreams and White Chocolate Wonderful) that SERIOUSLY drive down my chocolate cravings, and they're made from natural ingredients as far as I'm aware. I find them at Target, but they can also be found online for anyone outside the US/Canada (yes, that's how good they are). They're not SUPER low on calories (180 for 2 tablespoons, but just 1 tablespoon is enough for a slice of toast), but they give me a sweet natural alternative to processed foods (and a few extra grams of protein).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    For my sweet tooth, chocolate. just real chocolate. Since it's not a diet or anything.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Kashi Go lean vanilla graham clusters
    Almond milk
    Veggies with Chobani plain greek yogurt mixed with Hidden Valley ranch seasoning powder
    Berries (low glycemic)
    Greek yogurt
    Unsweetened natural applesauce
    Sweet potatoes
    Chick peas
    Peanut butter on high fiber low carb flatbread/tortilla
  • sillybeth84
    Options
    Olive Garden and Applebees both have low menus. Olive Garden's are under 575 calories and Applebees is under 600. I have tried selections from both and I totally approve. I usually just do research before heading out. You can get most places nutritional info online.
  • sillybeth84
    Options

Or a piece of fruit...

I assume when you say "healthy" you mean nutrient dense...basically shop the outer areas of your grocery. Take in about 6 actual servings of veg per day and a couple servings of fruit. Plenty of lean proteins like fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, eggs, etc. Healthy fats from things like almonds and other nuts, avocados, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, etc.

As far as recipes go, just get a cook book or get on-line. Cook from scratch using whole ingredients. Remember that nutrition has nothing to do with calories. There are any number of healthy, nutrient dense foods out there that are also calorie dense and plenty of very low calorie foods that have little to no nutritional value...one doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other.

Yes, we all know that. And I do most of my shopping on the outer circle too. But some of us have just started and sometimes transition foods help us kick the old, worse habits. Knowing all the rules to eating healthy is NOT the same as being able to do it, especially at the start.