Ratios

Options
Hope everyone is doing well on this fine Monday morning.

I am hoping someone can help me with my dilemma. I am currently on Day 21 of Insanity. It is going well, but I am having a hell of a time getting to the 40C/40P/20F ratio that is recommended by the nutrition guide. I sat around for a couple of hours playing with different food combinations in the MFP app last night, and while I got closer, I still couldn't peg it. I know it doesn't have to be exact, but I am hoping one (or some) of you fine people could check my diary and recommend some changes to my food intake. I have had a couple of guilty pleasures this weekend, so don't judge me. Ha!

I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For protein = Whey islolate shakes, cottage cheese, greek yogurt (Danon Light & Fit is the best, the Fage unflavored crap is terrible). Shrimp, steak, chicken, pork, bison, turkey, eggs

Carbs = oatmeal, cereal, rice, potatoes, (If you follow IIFYM like I do, eat pop-tarts and some sweets). Rice cakes.

Fat = cheese, peanut butter, olive oil, sweets.
  • gspeicher
    gspeicher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those things. I just can't get my ratios right.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    They don't have to be 100% exact. If you're short on carbs or protein, or OVER a little bit it's ok. It all comes down to CALORIES for weight loss after all.
  • gspeicher
    Options
    I agree, but I am all over the map. I consistently hit the 50C/30C/20F or 60/20/20. I am in the midst of fine tuning. Any idea what I could sub out of my diet for something else that would even it out a bit? Thanks for the responses, by the way.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good to me.

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums & ignore the rest. But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different opinions. Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    try looking at it from a weekly standpoint. it is nearly impossible to get your ratios perfect every day, and when you do, do you plan on eating the same menu every day for the rest of your life? doubtful.

in the app, it shows the daily/weekly pie chart. keep looking at the weekly for your ratios. then if you have one day that is a little higher in carbs, you make up for it with higher protein the next day.

simple.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    I agree, but I am all over the map. I consistently hit the 50C/30C/20F or 60/20/20. I am in the midst of fine tuning. Any idea what I could sub out of my diet for something else that would even it out a bit? Thanks for the responses, by the way.

Well I'm going to assume your trying to lose weight... so... if you weigh 180lbs.... TRY to get at least 180g of protein. If you weigh 166, get 166G of protein. Get a G of protein per lb. of weight.

Fill in the rest of your calories with what makes you preform at an optimal level. If you find a high carb diet gives you more energy, then take in mostly carbs, but, DO NOT neglect fat either. I think it's recommended to take in 0.4g per lb of body-weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A quick review of your diary - you're having grape nuts AND oats most days, which is pretty carb high. I'd reduce those some and add an egg for the extra protein.

But I would double check all the values - the database is full of errors (and even if it wasn't, all figures are only approximations)

Last Wednesday for instance your calorie total was under, but you were in the red on all 3 of protein, carbs and fats. Something doesn't add up there.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think your problem is that specific macro ratios don't affect everyone's diet in the same way. A 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs is fine for some people, but when you get into higher calorie diets, it doesn't make a ton of sense. I can't think of much reason for someone on a 2500-3000 calorie diet to be shooting for 40% protein unless you're trying to gain a crap ton of muscle (in which case, you would also need to be eating a lot more in general). I also think more fat will help. I would suggest something more along the lines of 45c/30p/25f, assuming your goals with Insanity are to lose fat and retain muscle mass.

But if you really want to shoot for 200+ grams of carbs and protein every day, you need to separate the notion of eating "healthy" food from the notion of following specific macros. You eat a lot of Grape Nuts, oatmeal, and fruit. That is carb city with no protein for miles. Cut back on those things, add some more meat, eggs, Greek yogurt, etc., and you're good to go.
  • gspeicher
    Options
    I really appreciate all of these responses.

The goal is to lose some weight. I've done Insanity before and loved it. Then, I had a daughter and it all went to ****. Just trying to get as much out of this 63 days as possible. I'll pay less attention to the macros on a daily basis and cut back on my carbs a bit.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to focus on one macro and nail that..the others can be nudged after that point. I focus mainly on protein, which tends to bring fat up, and the carbs fall where they may.