dr oz 3 day detox cleanse

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

And if Dr. Oz promotes it, you know it's a scam.

^ This. Dr. Oz is a quack.

Only in terms of his Oprah/weightloss stuff. He's still one of the world's preeminent heart surgeons.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So you don't need to get rid of crap?? I know almost every natural health page talks about how we need detoxies.

And I bet those pages are selling something.

Detoxes are making making scams aimed at people who want a miracle solution.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Detox diets: A seemingly infinite array of diets is available for detoxifying the whole body. However, studies have shown that fasting and extremely low calorie intake — common elements of detox diets — cause a slowdown of metabolism and an increase in weight after the dieter returns to normal eating.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/detox-diets-procedures-generally-dont-promote-health

The body’s own detox system

We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/The-dubious-practice-of-detox.shtml
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/17/dr-oz-detox_n_4615601.html
    Dr. Oz advice controversy

Dr. Oz -- who is the vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University, as well as the host of the popular Dr. Oz Show -- markets his 48-hour cleanse as “the ultimate detox solution,” which promises to “revitalize you from the inside out“ and boost liver and kidney function. Dr. Oz does not charge money for the cleanse recipes; they are based on ingredients you can buy at the grocery store.

A group of sorority sisters from Western University volunteered to help Marketplace test the cleanse. Half of the group participated in the Dr. Oz cleanse, which required that the students observe a strict diet and refrain from alcohol and caffeine, and not eat any food after 7 p.m. They also drank detoxifying teas and took soothing baths as prescribed by the diet, while the other students ate and drank normally.

To test the efficacy of the cleanse, all students had their liver and kidney functions tested both before and after the 48-hour period. At the end of the 48-hour period, however, Dr. Dresser was unable to detect any physiological benefit at all, or even tell which students had participated in the cleanse.
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is a good thing to do. Yes your kidneys, liver, and skin are detoxifying organs but the reason for a detox is to give these organs a break and not have to focus on anything else but the impurities already in your body. Detoxing is even more necessary if you have had a history of bad eating and have medical conditions such as being over weight or even the common cold.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    So you don't need to get rid of crap?? I know almost every natural health page talks about how we need detoxies.
    Most natural health pages spew nonsense about toxins so that they can sell you a product. "Create" a problem so that something can be sold to cure it. It's called "creative sales techniques".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vjohn04
    Options
    Detoxing is a good thing to do. Yes your kidneys, liver, and skin are detoxifying organs but the reason for a detox is to give these organs a break and not have to focus on anything else but the impurities already in your body. Detoxing is even more necessary if you have had a history of bad eating and have medical conditions such as being over weight or even the common cold.

No.

There is no proof to support your claim. Stop spreading false information.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Strong first post.

In this case "strong" = "nonsense"
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

tumblr_mgztqjkqsm1qh2o7zo1_r1_500.gif
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

False...there are no giving you body organs a "break"...that would lead to other failures in your body...then ultimately death. And every major medical hospital in the nation: Mayo, Harvard, Cleveland, Hopkins, they all agree that you can not cure the cold only treat the symptoms. You can't "detox" a common cold out of your body.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But medical and scientific journals show no evidence that detoxing with foods/drinks exists. And really being overweight is about overconsumption and the common cold is a virus which is NOT affected by foods but whom you share your indoor time with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hlopez_
    Options
    No proof? Let's not get started on what some medical journals are willing to publish versus not. I've seen first hand what detoxing and proper dieting do to people with stomach issues, obesity, women health, etc. I don't say this because I've heard it, I say it because I've seen it.
  • hlopez_
    Options
    I don't mean a literal break. I meant to "lighten the load" of their work. Don't take things to literal if they don't make logical sense it makes you sound a little obsessive.

False...there are no giving you body organs a "break"...that would lead to other failures in your body...then ultimately death. And every major medical hospital in the nation: Mayo, Harvard, Cleveland, Hopkins, they all agree that you can not cure the cold only treat the symptoms. You can't "detox" a common cold out of your body.
  • vjohn04
    Options
    No proof? Let's not get started on what some medical journals are willing to publish versus not. I've seen first hand what detoxing and proper dieting do to people with stomach issues, obesity, women health, etc. I don't say this because I've heard it, I say it because I've seen it.

LOL.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

LOL.

x2
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Riiiiiigggggghhhhhhhttttt. Your personal experience trumps years of rigorous study and research.

38274367.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Peer reviewed clinical studies are subject to refutation by the scientific community at large. You're speaking from an anecdotal point of view. And anecdotes aren't evidence.
    There are lots of people who claim to have seen UFO's, Vampires, Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, etc. According to your view, these people's word should be taken as absolute truth.