dr oz 3 day detox cleanse

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    No proof? Let's not get started on what some medical journals are willing to publish versus not. I've seen first hand what detoxing and proper dieting do to people with stomach issues, obesity, women health, etc. I don't say this because I've heard it, I say it because I've seen it.

tumblr_lowedjsOHa1qjgnf7o1_500.gif
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No proof? Let's not get started on what some medical journals are willing to publish versus not. I've seen first hand what detoxing and proper dieting do to people with stomach issues, obesity, women health, etc. I don't say this because I've heard it, I say it because I've seen it.

Do you also give your lungs a break by not breathing?

I'm going to go with science over naturopathic nonsense on this one.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Every time someone mentions detox or cleanse, an extremely polarized discussion develops. I believe that a detox or cleanse can have benefit, however. But please read my whole post before you latch on to that and annihilate me.

A detox is nothing more than a short term VLCD. The pushers of detoxes want you to believe that their product or method has some extraordinary properties that will somehow leave your body in a better metabolic state or free of undefined toxins, and this is simply untrue. A trendy detox and a 24-hour fast essentially accomplish the same thing - they deplete glycogen and can have a diuretic effect. They're not fixing anything metabolically or chemically in your body because its unlikely that anything needs fixing. (and if something DOES need fixing, consult your doctor, not the internet)

Contrary to what the vehemently anti-detox crowd will purport, it's not going to harm you either.

Where a detox or cleanse can add value is in the mental game of weight loss. Some people will use a detox to draw a line in the sand, or reap the mental benefit of seeing the scale move a little bit. If this is something that will give you the energy and focus you need to move forward with a sane nutrition plan, it's done some good.

Detoxes and Cleanses are placebos, nothing more. Just don't misinterpret what the detox or cleanse is ACTUALLY accomplishing.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Do you also give your lungs a break by not breathing?

I'm going to go with science over naturopathic nonsense on this one.

Not to mention having to wear a latex body suit with a tube for breathing...so your skin can have a "break."
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    Your body has a liver and kidneys to de-tox. Yes, we overload their capacity with environmental toxins, stress, and all the highly processed food we put in our bodies, which they are not designed to process. So eat real, wholesome food in moderation and move more. Consistency and sanity win the race over fads and quick fixes, every time.
    I agree!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've seen a pin on Pinterest circulating of this honey, lemon, cinnamon Dr OZ cleanse. It claims that you can lose up to 20lbs in 10 days. :laugh: I'm am trying for the life of me to see how any sane person could believe that... :noway:

It doesn't do squat for "detoxing" or weight loss, but it is really tasty. So it has that going for it, I guess.
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

And if Dr. Oz promotes it, you know it's a scam.

^ This. Dr. Oz is a quack.

Only in terms of his Oprah/weightloss stuff. He's still one of the world's preeminent heart surgeons.

I think that's one of the saddest things, that this brilliant, talented surgeon has destroyed his professional reputation by claiming to be an "expert" on things he knows nothing about. But he's raking in the money, so I can't really be too sad.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz; I wouldn't do anything he promotes. He's getting PAID!!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This forum needs a detox of Dr. Oz posts.
  • sullus
    Options
    I've seen a pin on Pinterest circulating of this honey, lemon, cinnamon Dr OZ cleanse. It claims that you can lose up to 20lbs in 10 days. :laugh: I'm am trying for the life of me to see how any sane person could believe that... :noway:

It doesn't do squat for "detoxing" or weight loss, but it is really tasty. So it has that going for it, I guess.
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

And if Dr. Oz promotes it, you know it's a scam.

^ This. Dr. Oz is a quack.

Only in terms of his Oprah/weightloss stuff. He's still one of the world's preeminent heart surgeons.

I think that's one of the saddest things, that this brilliant, talented surgeon has destroyed his professional reputation by claiming to be an "expert" on things he knows nothing about. But he's raking in the money, so I can't really be too sad.

Aye.
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A detox is not a purchased product, it is a time period where one stops their regular diet to let the body begin repairing the issue causing problems. Juicing and fasting allows for the body to receive nutrients and proper rest so it doesn't need to worry about heavy foods needing processing. That's a detox. I don't care for what Dr. Oz is pushing. Go buy greens, vegetables, and fruits then watch how well your body responds.
    Every time someone mentions detox or cleanse, an extremely polarized discussion develops. I believe that a detox or cleanse can have benefit, however. But please read my whole post before you latch on to that and annihilate me.

A detox is nothing more than a short term VLCD. The pushers of detoxes want you to believe that their product or method has some extraordinary properties that will somehow leave your body in a better metabolic state or free of undefined toxins, and this is simply untrue. A trendy detox and a 24-hour fast essentially accomplish the same thing - they deplete glycogen and can have a diuretic effect. They're not fixing anything metabolically or chemically in your body because its unlikely that anything needs fixing. (and if something DOES need fixing, consult your doctor, not the internet)

Contrary to what the vehemently anti-detox crowd will purport, it's not going to harm you either.

Where a detox or cleanse can add value is in the mental game of weight loss. Some people will use a detox to draw a line in the sand, or reap the mental benefit of seeing the scale move a little bit. If this is something that will give you the energy and focus you need to move forward with a sane nutrition plan, it's done some good.

Detoxes and Cleanses are placebos, nothing more. Just don't misinterpret what the detox or cleanse is ACTUALLY accomplishing.
  • rduhlir
    Options

No one has said anything about being dangerous...unless people are looking to do that alcohol enema or anything similar, or extend the said "detox" or "cleanse" and then entering eating disorder areas.

But when your body has it's own ability to clean itself, there is no point in spending and wasting money on the books and materials for the detox when in reality it does nothing.

Further more, the VLCD period in the detox that leads to the rapid weight loss can actually be harmful to the person trying to lose weight, because once they are done and the body puts back on the weight by refilling glycogen, the person is upset because the weight is back. Which that can set them up for just giving up because it can lead to a failure attitude.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    A detox is not a purchased product, it is a time period where one stops their regular diet to let the body begin repairing the issue causing problems. Juicing and fasting allows for the body to receive nutrients and proper rest so it doesn't need to worry about heavy foods needing processing. That's a detox. I don't care for what Dr. Oz is pushing. Go buy greens, vegetables, and fruits then watch how well your body responds.

Provide clinical proof that it gives your organs a rest please. Because you obviously don't know how your body anatomy works.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So you don't need to get rid of crap?? I know almost every natural health page talks about how we need detoxies.

That's because they want to sell your products to "cleanse" and "detox" your body. 21st century snake oil......

Timely.......this was on CBC's Marketplace last week:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013-2014/detox-challenge
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a doctor like I am a brain surgeon.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Skip this and just do coffee enemas. The health perks are the same plus they're way more fun!
  • sullus
    Options

I know. That's why I said pushers, not sellers, and why I said product OR method. Words. They mean things.
  • sullus
    Options

No one has said anything about being dangerous...unless people are looking to do that alcohol enema or anything similar, or extend the said "detox" or "cleanse" and then entering eating disorder areas.

But when your body has it's own ability to clean itself, there is no point in spending and wasting money on the books and materials for the detox when in reality it does nothing.

Further more, the VLCD period in the detox that leads to the rapid weight loss can actually be harmful to the person trying to lose weight, because once they are done and the body puts back on the weight by refilling glycogen, the person is upset because the weight is back. Which that can set them up for just giving up because it can lead to a failure attitude.

A fair point which I had not considered.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is a good thing to do. Yes your kidneys, liver, and skin are detoxifying organs but the reason for a detox is to give these organs a break and not have to focus on anything else but the impurities already in your body. Detoxing is even more necessary if you have had a history of bad eating and have medical conditions such as being over weight or even the common cold.

So much fail in just one paragraph! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Skip this and just do coffee enemas. The health perks are the same plus they're way more fun!

Did I miss the sarcasm font? :huh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I get the sense (from your other threads) that you're maybe not ready to do this.
    But when you are, here's the thread again:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read it, and try starting there. You'll see so much more success than you will with cleanses, VLCDs, and 1200 calorie diets (at your height/weight/age).

Trust.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the non-juice detox since January 2. It's just clean eating - no processed foods. I feel great and not hungry. We're friends so you can see my diary. I don't go much for drinking my meals although before this clean eating started, if I was too busy for lunch I would have a slim fast. But I was hungry. Good luck to ya whatever you choose! :flowerforyou: