Best Blender for Green Smoothies?

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
I mentioned in another thread awhile ago that I had been looking for a different blender for the green smoothies I make in order to make a smoother product. I was wondering what types of blenders or juicers do you use? What are the pros and cons?

I looked at Amazon reviews for various models, and even though a number of them had overwhelmingly positive reviews, some of the negative reviews concerned me. They consisted of the longevity of their models, as well as how models with lots of plastic parts would wear over time. What's your experience?

Replies

• rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure what model it is, I can check if you like. The con is, obviously, the price. I was lucky enough that they're sold at Whole Foods where my boyfriend works, so he was able to catch it on a sale and use his discount on top of that, and it was still expensive. However, we literally use it every single day, if not two or three times. I use it for my green smoothies, my protein shakes, making sauces, blending soups, you name it. It's definitely our most used piece of kitchen equipment.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The Cuisnart Smart Power 7 speed has been the little blender that could in our kitchen. We use it everyday for smoothie making, including frozen fruit and ice crushing. It's also excellent for puree and soup making. We picked it up on sale for less than 50 bucks. It makes some noise, but nothing excessive. I blend up a cup of spinach with frozen fruit and veggie chunks with some green juice or almond milk daily in less that 30 seconds.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/blenders/spb-7.html
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use a Magic Bullet for my smoothies. It blends very smooth and is easy to clean. Also, it doesn't take up much space on the counter.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    Magic Bullet was not working for me. It was not griding all the fiber properly for me. Blend Tec is what I have and I love it, but it is expensive. I believe NurtiBullet is good if you only want to use it for smoothies.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have a standard Oster and a Ninja, neither make green stuff smooth. I hear the $200+ Ninja might though...
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Vitamix blender comes high recommended by many friends of mine, but I haven't made the jump quite yet (I'm a newlywed and can't justify spending $500 on a blender right now, as much as I want it).

I use a Breville juicer every day I purchased on Amazon for $100 to make my daily juices. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-Fountain-700-Watt-Extractor/dp/B000MDHH06/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390226483&sr=8-3&keywords=breville

I've used it just about every day for over a year, and it works great! There certainly are fancier juicers than this one, but it gets the job done and is a great place to start.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My NutriBullet is FANTASTIC!! I love it. Very easy to clean up, and does not leave my smoothies chunky! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have a Blendtec and love it. Costco has a smokin' deal right now- $300. I'd love a Vitamix but I can't really justify two $$$ blenders.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Vitamix BAM! it will liquify whatever greens you throw at it. pricey. but i have regretted it. quite possibly be the last blender you buy. as opposed to replacing standard blender after standard blender like i did for yrs.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and I LOVE it.

I know it's expensive, but for me it was worth is because 1. I got mine for less then $250 2. My previous blenders worked great for a short amount of time, so I was always having to replace them. It was a lot to spend at once, but saves me in the long run because I don't have to replace it for many, many years
  • dsearle1
    Options
    I have a high end Ninja, it doesn't blend my shakes the way I know a VitaMix will. I've gone to Whole Foods / Costco where they would use the same ingredients and there would be no chunk (specifically the chia seeds). Get a Costco membership and buy a VitaMix for $379.00 I believe you basically get a lifetime warranty on it as Costco honors returns at any time (I'm certain this doesn't fall under their electronics category limiting returns to 90 days)

Otherwise, use a cheap blender and invest in high quality straws :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have a high end Ninja, it doesn't blend my shakes the way I know a VitaMix will. I've gone to Whole Foods / Costco where they would use the same ingredients and there would be no chunk (specifically the chia seeds). Get a Costco membership and buy a VitaMix for $379.00 I believe you basically get a lifetime warranty on it as Costco honors returns at any time (I'm certain this doesn't fall under their electronics category limiting returns to 90 days)

Otherwise, use a cheap blender and invest in high quality straws :)
    The Vitamix warranty is like 7 years on the motor. Costco will take stuff back out of warranty if you're unhappy with it, but I don't think it's right to return an 8+ year old blender. We all pay for that, in the form of higher prices.

Though the Vitamix salesmen suggested exactly that -- that I return the Blendtec despite it being 4 years old and working great so I could get a Vitamix. :noway:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix and it works very well. I also had a kitchenaid and it worked well enough for me. Because I don't really care if my smoothies are a little rough sometimes. No idea what midrange blenders do, but vitamix makes everything smooth.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    How long have you guys had your blenders? I ask only because the negative reviews on products like the Magic Bullet and Nutribullet were all from people who have had them for a rather long time (I think at least 1-2 years). They said parts wore out rather quickly and it was a pain to use the warranty every so often...and the like.

But then I read some counterarguments saying that they weren't using the blender right, that things should be pulsed first, then blended, and only in short bursts. I don't know....I've been using a borrowed Ninja blender for now. This Vitamix, I've heard about it, that its $500, but that it lasts awhile and makes things super smooth. Haah......that's a lot of money. But maybe I should just start saving.