dr oz 3 day detox cleanse

Options

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

And if Dr. Oz promotes it, you know it's a scam.

^ This. Dr. Oz is a quack.

Only in terms of his Oprah/weightloss stuff. He's still one of the world's preeminent heart surgeons.

Not anymore. He's pretty much been written off by the medical community.

He does surgery only one day a week, and every cardiac surgeon I know (I work with them, so yes, I do know a few) says that low frequency is not enough to keep you at your best form. Two days a week is the minimum they suggest, and they'd prefer cardiac surgeons work in the OR 3-4 days a week.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

Only in terms of his Oprah/weightloss stuff. He's still one of the world's preeminent heart surgeons.

The fact that he's a world-leading heart surgeon (debatable) should tell you that he is more than likely not an expert in diet & nutrition. Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they know everything about anything medical/health related ever.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A detox is not a purchased product, it is a time period where one stops their regular diet to let the body begin repairing the issue causing problems. Juicing and fasting allows for the body to receive nutrients and proper rest so it doesn't need to worry about heavy foods needing processing. That's a detox. I don't care for what Dr. Oz is pushing. Go buy greens, vegetables, and fruits then watch how well your body responds.

Does your body detox all the chemicals in your natural, fruit and veggie detox?

ku-xlarge.jpg
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have patients ask me all the time about colon cleansing, detoxing, fasting - most of these promoted by the great OZ. It may make you feel good at the time, but it is not healthy. Your body does not need a "break" from toxins and if you are truly concerned about toxins eat organic. By avoiding processed foods as these detoxing schemes push you will automatically feel better because you are eating whole foods, not chemicals with some food products added.

Any crap you see on TV is just that, so in addition to avoiding the toxins in your food avoid the toxins in your environment and stop believing the junk on TV. Eat healthy, don't buy prepackaged/processed foods, drink water and exercise. Try it for 2 weeks and I guarantee you will feel better (and lose weight). (WOW now I think I could do Dr. OZ's job...LOL)
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your body does need a "break" from toxins. You even suggested avoiding processed foods that contain toxins because they will make you feel better. So in essence you do then need a "break".
    I have patients ask me all the time about colon cleansing, detoxing, fasting - most of these promoted by the great OZ. It may make you feel good at the time, but it is not healthy. Your body does not need a "break" from toxins and if you are truly concerned about toxins eat organic. By avoiding processed foods as these detoxing schemes push you will automatically feel better because you are eating whole foods, not chemicals with some food products added.

Any crap you see on TV is just that, so in addition to avoiding the toxins in your food avoid the toxins in your environment and stop believing the junk on TV. Eat healthy, don't buy prepackaged/processed foods, drink water and exercise. Try it for 2 weeks and I guarantee you will feel better (and lose weight). (WOW now I think I could do Dr. OZ's job...LOL)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what the vehemently anti-detox crowd will purport, it's not going to harm you either.
    It can in the wallet. There are lots of "detoxes" that are $50 or more. For people on tight budgets, there's no need to spend money on this if it's just a short term VLCD. One can do that without spending the extra money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what the vehemently anti-detox crowd will purport, it's not going to harm you either.
    It can in the wallet. There are lots of "detoxes" that are $50 or more. For people on tight budgets, there's no need to spend money on this if it's just a short term VLCD. One can do that without spending the extra money.

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed. I like an occasional 24-hour fast. It's even cheaper than eating.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A detox is not a purchased product, it is a time period where one stops their regular diet to let the body begin repairing the issue causing problems. Juicing and fasting allows for the body to receive nutrients and proper rest so it doesn't need to worry about heavy foods needing processing. That's a detox. I don't care for what Dr. Oz is pushing. Go buy greens, vegetables, and fruits then watch how well your body responds.
    Lol, that's not a "detox". People that already are eating greens, vegetables and fruits along with "junk" food would receive NO BENEFIT from your description of "detox" since they are already consuming these.
    And fasting REDUCES the amount of nutrients due to less consumption. So much conflict in statements here.

IDEA Fitness member
  • It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Your body does need a "break" from toxins. You even suggested avoiding processed foods that contain toxins because they will make you feel better. So in essence you do then need a "break".
    Lol, dude please stop. All you're doing is discrediting your knowledge more and more. It's okay to admit you're wrong and chalk it up to not really understanding how physiology works. That's how one learns.
    Think about it: what is a toxin? It's a poison. It can kill you. If processed/low quality food were laced with toxins, our prison population should be much smaller due to them eating nothing but toxins.
    Processed foods may be devoid of NUTRITIONAL value and high in calories. That's the reason why people MAY want to limit them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Not anymore. He's pretty much been written off by the medical community.

He does surgery only one day a week, and every cardiac surgeon I know (I work with them, so yes, I do know a few) says that low frequency is not enough to keep you at your best form. Two days a week is the minimum they suggest, and they'd prefer cardiac surgeons work in the OR 3-4 days a week.

You may be right about his surgical chops, I have no basis from which I can debate that with you. But someone doesn't remain professor at the Department of Surgery at Columbia University and director of the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital if they've been written off by the medical community. But hey, I'm not as good of a programmer as I used to be before I moved into management ... I don't think that's an indictment of me or my skill. Take that as you will.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't love a good detox thread? Who's with me??

th_popcorncat.gif
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Detox this, detox that.....the LIVER removes the "toxins".

If you are really concerned, follow a diet that people with liver disease follow:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002441.htm
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

What toxins are you talking about? Give me the names of two. That's it. Only two.

....How about just one? Can you manage it?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Who needs a fancy cleanse when you can just eat these....

41g0q9VxkbL.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What, it all works great for Oprah, right guise?
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz was on the Elvis Duran show just after the holidays and said, flat out, that he does not endorse or support ANY kind of programs WHATSOEVER pertaining to health and weight loss. He has several books out and his show, that is all he does. Though people think he's a quack, or whatever you want to call him, he's bringing education to those who don't go to the doctors as much as they should and enlightening people on conditions and diseases that they should know about. Should you follow him like the Bible? Absolutely not, but he's not doing any harm to those who watch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz was on the Elvis Duran show just after the holidays and said, flat out, that he does not endorse or support ANY kind of programs WHATSOEVER pertaining to health and weight loss. He has several books out and his show, that is all he does. Though people think he's a quack, or whatever you want to call him, he's bringing education to those who don't go to the doctors as much as they should and enlightening people on conditions and diseases that they should know about. Should you follow him like the Bible? Absolutely not, but he's not doing any harm to those who watch.

Have you ever watched his show? It's nothing more than a glorified infomercial for whatever miracle of the week he's shilling.

Bringing education and enlightening people? We obviously have very different ideas as to that those terms mean..........
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit
    Exercise

That is the way to do it.