Buying cookies and cakes and then giving them all away

Options
I have to admit to occasionally doing just that.
I will do my healthy shop in Sainsburys and then buy a bag of fresh cookies or doughnuts on my way to the checkout.
I then take this bag of calories into work and hand them out. More frequently than not I won't eat a single one.
Should I fee ashamed and is there some sort of schadenfreude going on here?

Replies

• professormudd1
    Options
    Nah... Unless you are honestly just trying to make other people fat, there is nothing wrong with hooking your office mates up with goodies. Consider it eating vicariously through them.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think I know where all of the people who start the "sabotage" threads work....you...you..sabotager!

I think you subconsciously or unsubconsciously want to be the skinniest person in your office.

:devil:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • dsearle1
    Options
    The fact that you are actively trying to lose weight makes this a great idea, it reminds me of when I quit smoking, but I'd still go out and get cigarettes for my co-workers. It was a test of my will, and I won. You are also winning.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I will do my healthy shop in Sainsburys and then buy a bag of fresh cookies or doughnuts on my way to the checkout.
    I then take this bag of calories into work and hand them out. More frequently than not I won't eat a single one.
    I think it's sweet (pun intended :bigsmile:) you do that. My friend at work bakes all these wonderful treats, brings them to work, and doesn't eat a single one. I hear she also does not eat out of the bowl.

Our office was re-carpeted after Christmas. When I came back from break expecting to have to put my own office back together, but found my boxes with things neatly stacked by my desk and my computer all set up and ready to go. I didn't know who did this so I made some lemon poppyseed cake to share with everyone. This is the first time that I did not have any prior to taking it to work (I had a taste of the dough, though, instead of eating spoonfuls), but I did have one small piece at work because (1) I wanted it and (2) it fit just fine into my calories for day. This is so new for me.

Just keep sharing your food, but don't be afraid to have one if you want it and it fits into your calories. :smile:
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would try to avoid it on a regular basis because it seems a waste of money...

I would understand it better if you had one or two yourself and gave the rest away, although then I'd probably suggest buying in smaller quantities. Like last night I made dinner and a dozen cookies. I could have portioned the cookies out over a few days for myself, but instead I had three and gave the other nine to people with whom I was on call.

The only thing that I can guess is that you like buying them but then don't want to eat them. I've run into this before--I like the idea of a food but not the food itself, or I can't make it fit my calories. Usually when that happens, the product languishes in a cabinet/the back of the refrigerator somewhere until it gets too old to eat. (My dad would roll his eyes at me for wasting food, but I can/should eat only so much at a time!)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Put that money you would spend on cakes and cookies in a jar. At the end of the month buy yourself a non-food treat. takes care of you and helps others take better care of themselves.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You should donate them to me...
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think I know where all of the people who start the "sabotage" threads work....you...you..sabotager!

I think you subconsciously or unsubconsciously want to be the skinniest person in your office.

:devil:

That's not going to happen. There's one girl in my office who is always trying to gain weight and is way thinner than me. We are good friends and she always gets offered the first cookie. Also, there's no-one in my workplace who is obviously overweight so I don't feel that guilty. I believe I'm buying these things with the intent of at least having one later in the day, but it just doesn't work out that way. I'm not buying them all the time and like a lot of these treats they are cheap compared to fruit and veg.
    It may be that I'm evil, but hey at least I'm honest.
  • jennyxoheff
    Options
    I recently got into a bit of an argument at work with someone who was doing what you are doing. I don't fall victim to treats and goodies, but I saw my colleagues spending much of their workdays full of regret and self loathing for making too many trips to the staff kitchen to indulge. I had to deal with the "ughhhhhs" and "GOD WHY Do I eat that crap!? Next time Im saying NO!"

If you are, in some way, trying to sabotage others efforts, I would kindly leave the cookies in the store :) If you even remotely SUSPECT that you could be doing that....just stop.

That being said, there is always something sweet and "motherly" about the lady who brings the goodies to work. I don't think you're a bad person :) Probably the complete opposite.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time with Girl Scout cookies. I give the girls $20 and tell them to give boxes of cookies to anyone that looks like they need some. I have also given the Girl Scouts money and have them bulk ship the cookies to our troops overseas.
  • marise29
    Options
    Hahahaha, I love this! Now I know why people bring doughnuts to work! :laugh: evil evil... :drinker:
  • marise29
    Options
    :huh: hang on.... that means they're trying to sabotage me.... :embarassed: :grumble:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Rosie I just want to thank you for introducing me to a new word schadenfreude and said it an appropriate format, thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That being said, there is always something sweet and "motherly" about the lady who brings the goodies to work. I don't think you're a bad person :) Probably the complete opposite.

I like that ^

You're also testing your willpower, too. So it's a win-win for the people being loved on and for you practicing self control :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I usually buy them because I want one and I give the rest away.

I can't same I'm innocent of a bit of schadenfreude though.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think it speaks more to your relationship with food. Why do you need to buy it and give it away? Not buying it serves the same purpose.

I bake a lot. I keep a small amount at home and bring the rest in to work or give to friends.

Buying it and not eating it or tying to show others your will power will only last so long. I'm not saying this to be harsh. I can almost relate to the desire to do it. But, it doesn't sound like its a healthy way to approach achieving good health or good eating habits.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Apart from my friend who is trying to gain weight I don't go round offering my cookies and doughnuts. The bag stays on my desk and I just look at it from time to time thinking "I'll have one of those with a coffee later". Trouble is later never comes.

Actually, the more I think about it I would say there are others in my office already doing this to me. There are a least three girls who graze on biscuits all day and are always offering them to me. Worst is Pizza-Thursdays when they all come back at lunchtime with more than they can eat! You know how it plays out: "go on, just one piece, I can't possibly eat all of it".
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, except the recipients are my family-usually my own kids. I limit it to once per week when I'm at the store.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think it speaks more to your relationship with food. Why do you need to buy it and give it away? Not buying it serves the same purpose.

I bake a lot. I keep a small amount at home and bring the rest in to work or give to friends.

Buying it and not eating it or tying to show others your will power will only last so long. I'm not saying this to be harsh. I can almost relate to the desire to do it. But, it doesn't sound like its a healthy way to approach achieving good health or good eating habits.