What went wrong with my refrigerator oatmeal?

Options
RLeighP
RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
Help, please! I tried making refrigerator oatmeal/overnight oats last night, and when I got up they were still the same, clearly separated water and oats. I used 1/2 cup rolled oats with 1 cup water in a small jar with a lid.

Replies

• TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was intrigued by the concept so I did a quick Google search. All of the recipes I came across involved either milk, almond milk, or yogurt and fruit. I never saw one with just water and oats so perhaps that was the problem. Here are some of the sites I found:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

http://kitchenconfidante.com/simple-sundays-overnight-refrigerator-oatmeal-recipe
  • RLeighP
    Options
    Maybe so. I was trying to cut down the calories by using water because I prefer mix-ins. Thanks! I'll give it a try with almond milk.
  • notsofatroxy55
    notsofatroxy55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I made overnight oats last week and loved them, one half cup uncooked old fashioned oats, one fourth cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon honey, one fourth teaspoon cinnamon, , mix and put in fridge overnight, next morning I added one fourth cup greek yogurt and YUM! I am going to try putting raisins in it next time and leave overnight in fridge.
  • framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's the water. I make overnight oats with almond milk and that same ratio and never have an issue.
    Another option I'm loving lately is 1/4 oats, 3/4 cup Greek yogurt. Can mix in PB2. Add any fruits you want. More protein and the oats retain a good bite.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk. It only adds 20 calories tops if you go unsweetened.

My personal favorite recipe is 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, tablespoon honey and Greek yogurt, and 1/4 cup of frozen berries.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you use quick oats, I believe you can use water.

If you are not using quick oats, then you would have to heat the water up (like regular old oatmeal), or can use one of the milks.

I don't know the science behind it, but a quick review of the recipes shows that this is the difference between them.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    actually, I'm finding vegan recipes which use oats and water, so maybe try googling them. The problem is that many of them just say to use "oats" so I don't know what kind they mean.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I haven't opened any links yet (probably should have lol)

but what kind of oats would you use? I have a huuuuuge bag of quick oats and I'd love to try this! Do you heat the oats in the morning?
  • boudtin
    Options
    Here are recipes with chia seeds, greek yogurt and oatmeal. I have been making the blueberry/maple one for the past week and its really good. Try it!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • geekmomof3
    geekmomof3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my cold oats.

I use whole mike because I make them for my kids as well.

I use whole milk
    non-fat greek yogurt
    crainrasins and sliced almonds

so good and googy in the morning...very filling
  • watto1903
    watto1903 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    strange because if you look at ingredients on almond milk, first ingredient is water and next is 2% almond. This suggests that 98% of almond milk is in fact water!

So OP using water should be no different to people using almond milk i guess?
  • 427_Cobra
    427_Cobra Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1/2 C Oats (150 cal)

1/2 C Unsweetened Almond Milk (15 cal)

1 Tbsp Plain Greek yogurt (8 cal)

1 Tsp Chia Seeds (opt - 60 cal)

I serving protein powder of your choice (I use Body Fortress - 170 cal)

Top with 1/2 C of strawberries, cranberries, raspberries or banana.
  • RLeighP
    Options
    Yeah, my almond milk is 30 cal for 1 cup, so 15 cals isn't too awful. And perhaps it is the oats, I used old-fashioned.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas