Today: Running

Options
Today I start my journey to become a healthy person. I bought a gym pass, and would like to become a running. I managed to run a mile on the treadmill and walk half a mile. I was wondering if any of you runners have any tips for me?

Question One: Which burns more/is better for you? Distance or speed?

Question Two: Will this help me lose inches? (I would rather lose inches than weight at this point).

Question Three: When will I start to see results?

I'm going to try to net 1,400 calories a day. I'm not completely changing my diet, but I am switching out some of the really bad foods for better ones. Cutting out fast food and juice calories completely. (I don't drink pop so I have no problem with this).

Thank you!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Getting the maximum caloric burn requires a balancing act of speed and distance. The initial few minutes of aerobic exercise burn sugars as the primary energy source. Distance becomes a requirement to keep you exerting yourself long enough for your body to use fat as the primary energy source. To start, try to keep the pace at the point you could speak in sentences with a running partner as a simple guideline to regulate exertion levels. Both your pace and ability to cover distance improve with practice. If you start with a run/walk routine ... stick with it until it is a run routine ... then build upon that base.

The inches will come off if you remain in a caloric deficit. Where they come from first is a matter of genetics as everybody stores, and loses, fat a little differently. The same goes for seeing results ... a deficit will produce them it's just a matter of your body playing nice and taking the fat from obvious places first. Some people lose inches from their waist quickly ... others it's a fraction of an inch here and there that doesn't show as readily but it still happens.

For starting ... look to Couch to 5K (C25K), some of Hal Higdon's training plans for beginners, or running magazines for tips and ideas to keep you going.
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k will get you running and build your stamina. Go slower than you think you should to build your stamina.
  • ZB17
    ZB17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, as the previous poster suggested, look into C25K. I can run a lot more than I used to think I could, and it's all thanks to this program.
  • dirtchick97
    Options
    I loved the C25K program, I finished it last August and have since ran 3 5k's and I already have 4 more lined up for this year! I recently started C210K program and I love it! Awesome programs that will help you ease your way into running!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Getting the maximum caloric burn requires a balancing act of speed and distance. The initial few minutes of aerobic exercise burn sugars as the primary energy source. Distance becomes a requirement to keep you exerting yourself long enough for your body to use fat as the primary energy source. To start, try to keep the pace at the point you could speak in sentences with a running partner as a simple guideline to regulate exertion levels. Both your pace and ability to cover distance improve with practice. If you start with a run/walk routine ... stick with it until it is a run routine ... then build upon that base.

The inches will come off if you remain in a caloric deficit. Where they come from first is a matter of genetics as everybody stores, and loses, fat a little differently. The same goes for seeing results ... a deficit will produce them it's just a matter of your body playing nice and taking the fat from obvious places first. Some people lose inches from their waist quickly ... others it's a fraction of an inch here and there that doesn't show as readily but it still happens.

For starting ... look to Couch to 5K (C25K), some of Hal Higdon's training plans for beginners, or running magazines for tips and ideas to keep you going.

This is a very helpful answer.
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I did C25K about 18 months ago and am planning my first half marathon now!

Please read up on running safety. Get a RoadID or carry your driver's license at all times. Reflective/lighted clothing. Etc...

I'm reading a book called "Running on Air" by Budd Coates. Fantastic book on rhythmic breathing. It really helps me run at a consistent pace and helps with endurance.

Last tip: Find a running friend or two (or dozen). Nothing will keep you motivated better than having friends to talk about running with.
  • Cyan99
    Cyan99 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Today I start my journey to become a healthy person. I bought a gym pass, and would like to become a running. I managed to run a mile on the treadmill and walk half a mile. I was wondering if any of you runners have any tips for me?

Question One: Which burns more/is better for you? Distance or speed?

Question Two: Will this help me lose inches? (I would rather lose inches than weight at this point).

Question Three: When will I start to see results?

I'm going to try to net 1,400 calories a day. I'm not completely changing my diet, but I am switching out some of the really bad foods for better ones. Cutting out fast food and juice calories completely. (I don't drink pop so I have no problem with this).

Thank you!

I'm in NO WAY an expert but I've been running regularly (but not intensely) for a few years give or take.
    I think distance is better, start slow and build up the speed over time as you get used to it. Focus more on keeping a steady pace than trying to run fast. Set a goal for how far you want to run and if it's too hard, don't give into the temptation to stop, just slow your pace until it's achievable.

Running won't really make you lose weight quickly - diet is probably more important to weight lose or losing inches, but it will increase your stamina and build up muscle and tone for when you do lose the weight. And if you run regularly for long enough I guarantee you WILL come to enjoy it and it will make you feel better, healthier and more relaxed.
  • shadowrealms
    Options
    All of these answers were amazingly helpful! Thanks so much!