Back pain with strength training

Options
Hi! Long time listener, first time caller. :)

I started back in August eating at a deficit, doing cycling classes a couple days a week, running a couple days a week. I lost about 30 pounds. Around November, I started the Les Mills Body Pump class, which is a high rep, lower weights lifting class. It felt great, and I lost another 10 pounds adding Body Pump into the mix. Physically, up to this point, I've been feeling healthy--no knee pain, no back pain, just strong and healthy.

However, I've been feeling a little stagnant on my exercise routine, and I wanted to try something new. Reading the comments and discussions on this board, I decided to give weight lifting a try, and I started The New Rules of Lifting for Women last week. I've done three lifting workouts so far, and I am getting quite a bit of back pain, specifically in my mid back and my shoulders under and on the spine side of my scapulae. It doesn't feel like sore muscles--I also have a fair amount of those right now, and I know that feeling. But this is more achy pain than soreness. Has anyone else had this happen? I assume it is a technique issue, and I have watched heaps of videos from Mark Rippetoe and other lifters online to look at form, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. Also, I assume it is from the big lifts (squats and dead lifts), but could another part of the routine be causing this? I'd love some feedback. Is my solution to go to the doctor? A sports therapist? Stop lifting? (I hope not the last one--I really want to do this!)

Thanks!

Replies

• snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting too heavy or too often? Try lifting lighter weights and see if that helps. If you're working out every other day, try resting two days in between until you become more adapted to the routine.
  • kamolai
    kamolai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. The amount I'm lifting is challenging, but not overwhelming. I have been lifting T/Th/Sat. I like your suggestion of taking an extra recovery day, but I'm doing that today, because I don't lift again until tomorrow, and I am still in a fair amount of pain. I'd definitely take extra recovery days if I thought that would fix the problem! :happy:
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit like you might have a bit of scapular instability (not the worst thing in the world and generally fixed with some exersices.) and possible a tight thoracic spine. I would do reach and roll here is an awesome link
  • Jaceface27
    Jaceface27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've experience an immense amount of back pain this month-- and I actually "strained" my lower back. Couldn't move & on pain killers/muscle relaxers for a week. It ended up being a combination of increasing my weight in lifting/trying new lifting moves/shoveling snow.

Lifting has been slow moving because I don't want to hurt my back again (still pain that I'm not used to). What I've been doing at the end of my lifting days is stretching. A full body stretch that starts standing up (head rolls, arms rolls, chest isolations/rolls, etc) and doing moves to ending on my back where I incorporate rocking on the floor, battements with my legs with the goal of getting my back as relaxed and "into the floor" as I can. I used to dance when I was younger, so I've incorporated a lot of "dance" moves and stretches into it.

Try a floor stretch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3971112387&feature=iv&list=PLvP8YsX0ebXZ73_3nmaKABeLyzRkGAv1O&src_vid=5NgRcaKdrAU&v=4_c7TKvbCTI

There are also really good videos that pop up, like the "total body stretch" that could help as well.

Goal when you stretch: breathe, don't let your muscles tense up, and take your time.

Of course-- that's just my advice. Many people do different things. If it is severe pain and you think you've hurt yourself, definitely go to the doctor!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like form issues. Your best bet is to post a video of you so people can see