protein snack ideas

Options
anyone have any good high protein snack ideas? my numbers have been very low lately! I'm trying to stay away from artificial protein bars and find it through real foods - any advice would be great!!!

Although I do love Quest protein bars but I have been overdoing it lately!

Replies

• towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, 0% fat, plain, mixed w any flavor crystal light. Dannon & Fage are my favorites. Filling, low cal, low carb, high protein, satisfies my sweet tooth (most of the time)
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    String cheese
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Probably the ultimate" protein bomb" is 2-3 ounces of baked or broiled chicken breast. I know many MFP-ers who do what I do - cook several in advance and snack on them during the week.

A smoothy made with non-fat milk and a little flavored whey protein supplement is also good. I like to use chocolate flavored whey protein with my milk, and then throw in 1/2 a banana. Yum

Cheese has good protein, but it's also what you would call "energy dense". In other words high cal. I try to limit it in my diet.

If you lean towards plant-based sources, do a Google search on "complementary proteins", and knock yourself out. Lots of tasty options there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    good ideas above. I'll add hard boiled eggs and beef or turkey jerky.
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely going to look into the turkey jerky - i've never tried it but it sounds delicious - i'm starting a new job so hard boil eggs on the go are a great idea too - i put whey protein in my oatmeal but i might try the swap out of quinoa instead of oatmeal for an additional protein punch!
  • creativecalico
    creativecalico Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Egg white smoothies: blend your favorite fruit with liquid pasteurized egg whites.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Quest bar Cookie dough!!!
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Quest bar Cookie dough!!!

THIS...

as for snack greek yogurt have a ton of protein per serving.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

If you lean towards plant-based sources, do a Google search on "complementary proteins", and knock yourself out. Lots of tasty options there.

So this leads me to a question... Will MFP's "Nutrition" analysis count "protein" that is consumed through "complementary proteins"?
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I take a string cheese and wrap it in sliced turkey mmmmmmmm

Also, second the Greek yogurt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

So this leads me to a question... Will MFP's "Nutrition" analysis count "protein" that is consumed through "complementary proteins"?

of course, provided the nutritional information for whatever you are choosing in the data base is complete.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast. I eat it like string cheese.