Calorie loss. Pedometer vs. Elliptical Machine

Options
So today I worked out with my new pedometer for the first time. It told me I burned 350 calories, BUT the elliptical screen said I burned far more. I logged the smaller number, just in case. Both of them know my height and weight. Which one do you normally base your logs off of? I wondered if the pedometer picked up my steps properly as the stride for the arms doesn't seem that large. My pedometer registers several steps at a time not really one step at a time, as it is electronic. This is the pedometer http://www.blingberry.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ped No I did not pay that much for it, I used a living social deal :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are known to over estimate calories burned by a wide margin. That said the pedometer would also be an estimation. I would suggest when using estimate to err on the side of conservative, which would be the lowest amount.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The elliptical, my fitbit, and MFP all have different numbers. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories so I take the lowest number.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Go buy a Garmin device w/ a heart rate monitor.
  • trippymace
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, but my elliptical always shows MUCH lower numbers (HRM says I burned 300 calories, machine says 170). So in general, I wouldn't trust anything that doesn't go with your heart rate. But in your particular case, I'd probably opt for the lower number, just to be on the safe side.
  • JamieBeth19
    JamieBeth19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great advice from all!!! I'm not high on funds right now so I will log the lowest until I can compare using a HRM :) I'm not big on eating my calories back either, usually I just don't.