Unsure about set Macros

Options
henwoosa
henwoosa Posts: 14 Member
I have been Eating mostly clean for over nearly 3 weeks now (only been on MFP for little over a week). Previously I ate whatever I wanted and didn't hold back, so I have a lot of weight to lose (36 kg/ 79lbs).
I am just a bit concerned that I still haven't lost anything. I would have thought at my weight and with the amount I need to lose that it would be falling off me, at least in the first month or so as it has done previously.
I wonder some of my macros need to be adjusted, I seem to go a little bit over in protein everyday, but still under my calorie goal.
I would really appreciate any advice - my diary is open so feel free to have a look.

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Have you tried checking your measurements vs. weight? There is a possibility you could be gaining muscle...
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    Options
    Have you been getting enough calories? As mentioned above, check measurements instead of relying on the numbers on the scale. Your body may still be changing even if the numbers aren't. I, personally, know my body doesn't process carbs very well so I go in and set my macros at Carbs- 30%, Fat- 30%, Protein- 40%. Lower carbs and higher protein is how my body best functions. It's going to vary person to person, though.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on protein - I think the default is something like 15%?

Like someone else said, maybe try weighing everything in case you're underestimating calories and you can change your macro goals if you want in 'goals', 'change goals', 'custom'.
  • rjb1311
    rjb1311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sputtered a bit out of the gate and then started to drop weight. It seems like most people I talk to, start strong and then sputter. Don't get frustrated and keep getting that heart rate up while staying under on calories.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have you tried checking your measurements vs. weight? There is a possibility you could be gaining muscle...

Just looked at your diary for Sunday - if that's a normal day you're not gaining muscle!

Seems a bit low to me - which won't affect weight loss but isn't particularly good for you. Apologies if that's not a good reflection overall (only looked at one day).
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You need more protein
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    You need to double your proteins intake.

You need to exercise.

Proteins turns your body into a fat burning monster.

Right now your fat burning system in your body is a baby monster so you take baby steps.

Feed that monster protein and let him eat all the fat.

Eventually you will eat your own self.

But only if you exercise 3 times a week doing light compounds.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Didn't know which post to reply to....

Check this link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

There's probably another link to a thread, 'You're probably eating more than you think....'

It's only been 3 weeks. If you're really only taking in what you think / say you are, you'll start losing weight.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    So, I checked out your diary and it looks like you're eating fairly nutritiously, but not enough. If MFP gives you a goal of 1200, then try to actually eat that much. I have. since I started here in August, aimed to be within 50 cal of my goal on either side. I don't make it every day, but I try. (yesterday, I was more than 200 short, and ate two shortbread cookies to fix it.) I only saw two days where you made it to 1200 at all. I don't care if you eat back your exercise calories, but 1200 calories is a reasonable amount of the kinds of foods you're eating. Other things - sleep & stress, for instance - can also affect weight loss. Don't be afraid to adjust your own macros; I have done it and so have many others here. Don't get discouraged, eventually your body will believe you mean to treat it well and start cooperating with you. Good luck!!!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Check this link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

There's probably another link to a thread, 'You're probably eating more than you think....'

It's only been 3 weeks. If you're really only taking in what you think / say you are, you'll start losing weight.

Yep, this ^^^
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

Check this link

Yep, this ^^^

This, this ^^^ x 2. Macros can help dial things in, like making sure your are getting enough protein to help with muscle preservation and fats to keep hormonal functions in check, but weight loss is purely calories in vs calories out. If you are not losing weight after a few weeks, then you are eating too much. Get a digital scale and weigh everything that you eat, do not use measuring spoons or cups, as this only accounts for volume, not weight. Check out http://www.iifym.com to dial in your macros, but again, from a simple matter of weight loss, you could only eat Twinkie's and as long as you ate below your maintenance calories, you would lose weight...would not be the healthiest of people, but weight loss would still occur. Also, get on a weight lifting program if you have not done so yet. Lifting weights will stimulate the body to build muscle in the beginning for a bit (that ends quickly though depending on how fat or lean you are) and helps preserve muscle mass as you lose weight. There are many documented programs listed on this site, so do your research and as always, check with your Dr. before engaging in any program.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

Check this link

Yep, this ^^^

This, this ^^^ x 2. Macros can help dial things in, like making sure your are getting enough protein to help with muscle preservation and fats to keep hormonal functions in check, but weight loss is purely calories in vs calories out. If you are not losing weight after a few weeks, then you are eating too much. Get a digital scale and weigh everything that you eat, do not use measuring spoons or cups, as this only accounts for volume, not weight. Check out http://www.iifym.com to dial in your macros, but again, from a simple matter of weight loss, you could only eat Twinkie's and as long as you ate below your maintenance calories, you would lose weight...would not be the healthiest of people, but weight loss would still occur. Also, get on a weight lifting program if you have not done so yet. Lifting weights will stimulate the body to build muscle in the beginning for a bit (that ends quickly though depending on how fat or lean you are) and helps preserve muscle mass as you lose weight. There are many documented programs listed on this site, so do your research and as always, check with your Dr. before engaging in any program.

First of all this is misleading for a newbie: guess what, there are exponentially more calories burned when you your body composition has a high protein ratio.

So if you tell someone cals-in/cals-out then the intrinsic thing would be to cut out things that are useful tools in the process. Its just misleading.

OP is clearly one of those people who is confused and believes protein will make her gain weight.

The first step in losing weight is gaining muscle mass.

That whole right up is actually bogus because though it starts with a great sentence, "I generally think that people put emphasis on things that either don't matter at all, or only matter a small amount, while ignoring the things that matter a great dea " --it goes on to talk about things that ALSO don't matter much lol and barely helps with confusion. I think people just like the term sexypants and got overly excited.

What you need to know is, don't cut out protein, don't cut out carbs, don't cut out fat. Just eat the correct doses of all three. I noticed in one of your posts you cut carbs. Don't do that. Just cut donuts, not whole grain organic penne pasta. You need that or you'll be miserable and quit.

Exercise Mon/Wed/Fri (tue/thurs/sat/sun = rest) Squats= 30lbs. Deadlift = 60lbs. Bench Press = 30lbs. Every day you come back you add 5 lbs to those numbers. You will get stronger and you will become more anabolic.

Protein: set to 140 grams (4x140= 560cals)
    (Complex) Carbs: set to ~240 grams (4x240 = 960 cals)
    Fat: set to ~50 grams (50x9 = 450 cals)

So you need those sources to turn your body anabolic. So thats still under 2K calories at a total of 1970cals.

Once you do this for about three weeks, cut some of those carbs to about 200 grams and the fat to about 30 grams and by then you will be burning way more cals when you work out. You will be burning more fat when you sleep even. And then you start to see your body is in a position to really burn and cut.

If you simply just lower calories and not exercise it will take you about a year what would take you a month. Your goal is to become anabolic first. Remember Annie Anabolic - the anabolic monster, you have to feed her first. She is the only one who can help you transform your body and look good naked.

Everything else will not work and is a short term gimmick. The body can lose the first 15lbs but thats it, the next 15lbs is exponentially tougher and the 15lbs after that is impossible without exercise.
  • henwoosa
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice. It can be really confusing when some people are saying i am not eating enough and others are saying i bet you not logging everything and therefore eating more than you say! I do actually weigh everything - except veges so if i am going over in anything it will only be in broccoli and stuff like that! I am still eating brown rice and whole meal pasta and sweet potato for carbs so I am getting them in every day, I have just cut out white carbs as I am trying to eat as clean as possible.
    I am also going to the gym 4-5 times a week. I am going about 20 mins of cardio and 25 mins of strength training and doing the squat challenge as well before I go to bed.
    I will up my protein and and good carbs! thanks again!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    First of all, this guy's reply is so full of broscience, its hard to know where to begin.

"First of all this is misleading for a newbie: guess what, there are exponentially more calories burned when you your body composition has a high protein ratio."

-Complete misnomer as while protein does have a slight higher thermic effect on burning calories, it's almost negligible and definitely not exponential *Halton T, Hu F: The effects of high protein diets on thermogenesis, satiety, and weight loss: A critical review. Journal of the American College of Nutrition (2004), Vol 23, pps. 373-385.

"The first step in losing weight is gaining muscle mass."

-Wrong, the first step in losing weight is to address diet. The second step in aiding in that weight loss is exercise depending on the OPs goals. Does she what to get tone, does she want to run, does she want better cardiovascular health, does she want to bodybuild, etc...Weight loss is dictated by diet and aided/assisted by exercise. Sufficient protein and proper weight training will ensure she is not losing muscle mass as long as her caloric deficit is not too large. Fats will keep hormonal function in check, and carbs will be used for energy. The body's fat storage is called upon once those carb stores are exhausted.

"That whole right up is actually bogus because though it starts with a great sentence, "I generally think that people put emphasis on things that either don't matter at all, or only matter a small amount, while ignoring the things that matter a great dea " --it goes on to talk about things that ALSO don't matter much lol and barely helps with confusion. I think people just like the term sexypants and got overly excited."

-Dude, if you knew anything about the person who started that thread and the actual help he and his partner Sara have given to thousands upon thousands of people. You have proven to be the "noobie" in regards to these types of things just with your statement on this alone.

"What you need to know is, don't cut out protein, don't cut out carbs, don't cut out fat. Just eat the correct doses of all three. I noticed in one of your posts you cut carbs. Don't do that. Just cut donuts, not whole grain organic penne pasta. You need that or you'll be miserable and quit. "

- So what your saying is as long as my split of these macros is correct, she'll lose weight? So the actual calories at the end of the day mean nothing or that she is probably not accounting for food she is really eating, mean nothing because she has a macro split of 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein (for example)? Dang, I guess I could have eaten 10,000 calories a day and as long as I follow my macro split, I'd lose weight :laugh: At the end of the day, it's a matter of simple thermodynamics with the amount of calories burned needs to be more than the amount of calories taken in. The link I provided gives her the calculator to approximate her daily expenditure of calories based on her activity level, then provides a suggested macro split for her preferred dietary adherence, IIFYM by default which will give her ample protein and fat and the remaining to carbs (OP, all of these macros in grams added and multiplied out by their calorie amount (carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram, while fat is 9 calories per gram) will equal your ... wait for it... total calories alloted per day (angels singing) which will be less than your maintenance calories if trying to lose weight and more than maintenance if your trying to bulk. It also provides information about being flexible in your dieting to allow for foods that might not be considered "clean" in people's eyes, but as long as it fits your macros, your fine. OP, if ice cream fits within your calorie adherence and thus the macros it calculated based on that calorie count for the day, then by all means, eat ice cream.

"Exercise Mon/Wed/Fri (tue/thurs/sat/sun = rest) Squats= 30lbs. Deadlift = 60lbs. Bench Press = 30lbs. Every day you come back you add 5 lbs to those numbers. You will get stronger and you will become more anabolic."

- I suggested she research this site for the many tried and proven workout programs developed by properly educated people to fit her goals she chooses and not some bro program thrown together. Also, while she is in a caloric deficit, her body will be in catabolic state and only in an anabolic state if she was eating at a surplus. So all of the other comments you made about turning your body into an anabolic monster crap, is just that, crap. If she strength trains, will she get stronger?...Yes. Will she add some muscle?... Yes, but this will slow down proportionately based on her fat mass or if she used to train before and stopped. It would then be for her to decide if she wants to cut further, bulk, or recomp (which is spinning your wheels in my opinion).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

sigh...no, this is not what is happening. you cannot be in a caloric deficit and build muscle...Also, OP never mentioned if she was lifting weights or not, so not sure how we jumped to this conclusion...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - are you weighing and logging everything you eat? do you own a food scale? If the answer to these questions is no, then turn them into a 'yes' and start there...

what is your current training regimen like?
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you are beautiful now. Research everywhere you can from reputable sources and good luck.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Check this link

Yep, this ^^^

Exercise Mon/Wed/Fri (tue/thurs/sat/sun = rest) Squats= 30lbs. Deadlift = 60lbs. Bench Press = 30lbs. Every day you come back you add 5 lbs to those numbers. You will get stronger and you will become more anabolic.

I am curious as to how you have any clue a to where OP should start regarding weight on her lifts? Does she even lift? does she even know proper form? I agree with a routine for compounds but just telling someone to jump into them with no background on how to perform the lifts is a little out there...
  • henwoosa
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I bought some food scales in the weekend and have been weighing everything apart from veges such as broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce. what I have been entering has been pretty much accurate against what I am weighing so i haven't been eating over calories. I also haven't been picking at anything so what i have logged is exactly what I have been eating. Although it is usually under my 1200, the only time I am ever hungry is when I get home from the gym and that's dinner time anyway.
    I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, but don't have much time so I usually do 20 mins cardio (mix between treadmill, elliptical and rower), I then do about 25 mins of strength training using both machines and free weights. I am also half way through the 30 day squat challenge which i do before bed. I will be starting a few different classes when they start back up in Feb as well.
    I am wanting to loose fat, and ultimately get toned but Obviously need to loose a lot of weight before i can achieve that.
    Also I did my measurements when I first started and again last night and lost maybe 1-2 cm overall.
    I do hope its just a slow start, and I know its going to be a long process but its just so disheartening to see no results when I have been trying so hard.