Buying cookies and cakes and then giving them all away

Options
2»

Replies

• Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Rosie I just want to thank you for introducing me to a new word schadenfreude and said it an appropriate format, thank you. :flowerforyou:
    It's been a while since I've been able to sneak schadenfreude into a sentence but it felt correct in this instance.
    I used to live in Zürich and have always had a soft spot for the German language. Got to love those long compound words.

Böse, böse Rosie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. Are these impulse buys that you intend to eat, then once you're home decide against it and want them out of the house? Or are you buying with the original intent of not eating them?
  • Rosie_McA
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. Are these impulse buys that you intend to eat, then once you're home decide against it and want them out of the house? Or are you buying with the original intent of not eating them?
    Definitely impulse buys that I intend to eat (or certainly share). These are usually fresh-baked cookies with only 5 or 6 in a bag. My not eating them is not a problem as there many people coming in and out of my office who will just grab one.
    I only take these biscuits into work and by having a lot of colleagues around means it's not just the same people that I'm "feeding up". I'm not saying that it's a case of schadenfreude, but I always like to analyse and be honest about my actions.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Definitely impulse buys that I intend to eat (or certainly share). These are usually fresh-baked cookies with only 5 or 6 in a bag. My not eating them is not a problem as there many people coming in and out of my office who will just grab one.
    I only take these biscuits into work and by having a lot of colleagues around means it's not just the same people that I'm "feeding up". I'm not saying that it's a case of schadenfreude, but I always like to analyse and be honest about my actions.

Schadenfreude is deriving pleasure from hearing about the misfortunes of others. Do you consider eating cookies to be detrimental to the other people in your office? Because the other thing about schadenfreude is that the person experiencing it usually isn't the one causing the misfortune. If you are purposefully bringing in cookies so you can watch others eat them and congratulate yourself on avoiding them, then you are basically using your coworkers to boost your own ego or self-esteem. And frankly, it kind of makes me question whether or not you have a healthy relationship with food.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    buy non perishable food and give it to a food bank or shelter if youre feeling that generous
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop at my workplace. Last Friday was extreme. Within 10m of my desk there was chocolate mini cupcakes, lemon and raspberry mini cupcakes, brownies, Bakewell tarts, lemon drizzle cake, caramel shortcake squares, rocky road squares, crispy creme doughnuts and halawi dates. After lunch several big bags of crisps and dorritos appeared along with a can of Pringles.
  • Rosie_McA
    Options
    Schadenfreude is deriving pleasure from hearing about the misfortunes of others. Do you consider eating cookies to be detrimental to the other people in your office? Because the other thing about schadenfreude is that the person experiencing it usually isn't the one causing the misfortune. If you are purposefully bringing in cookies so you can watch others eat them and congratulate yourself on avoiding them, then you are basically using your coworkers to boost your own ego or self-esteem. And frankly, it kind of makes me question whether or not you have a healthy relationship with food.
    I'm fully aware of what the term means.
    If you read my previous comments you'll see that my first intention in buying the cookies is to eat them and not to demonstrate to myself how "clever" I am in being able to resist them. I can accept that maybe I have an issue with my relationship with food, but "frankly" I don't accept that my actions are designed to boost my ego or self-esteem.
  • Rosie_McA
    Options
    buy non perishable food and give it to a food bank or shelter if youre feeling that generous
    Occasionally buying a £1 bag of cookies = "feeling that generous"?
    I suspect people throw away much more than that on a daily basis from leftovers alone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Your intentions do not sound bad, at least not consciously.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time with Girl Scout cookies. I give the girls $20 and tell them to give boxes of cookies to anyone that looks like they need some. I have also given the Girl Scouts money and have them bulk ship the cookies to our troops overseas.
    This is a truly wonderful idea. Especially like shipping some to the troops.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    I'm fully aware of what the term means.
    If you read my previous comments you'll see that my first intention in buying the cookies is to eat them and not to demonstrate to myself how "clever" I am in being able to resist them. I can accept that maybe I have an issue with my relationship with food, but "frankly" I don't accept that my actions are designed to boost my ego or self-esteem.

I did read your previous comments, including the part where you asked if you should feel ashamed for doing this. The fact that you even need to ask says to me that you are questioning your intentions in doing this - hence my questioning of your use of schadenfreude. If I buy cookies with the intention of eating them, I eat them. If I second guess myself later as to whether having an entire bag of cookies around is a good idea for me, I would bring them in to share with other people, but I wouldn't then continue repeating that behavior in the future.

There's a difference between bringing in a treat for everyone to share (which could just as easily be fruit or veggies) and bringing in foods you consider "unhealthy" just to watch others eat them and congratulate yourself on resisting. Since I'm not sure why you continue to do this and you yourself haven't self-reflected on it beyond "yeah, I do it and admit that I do," I can only speculate on your motivation based on your own words. If you really don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing, I'm not sure why you bothered to ask for others' opinions. *shrugs*
  • Rosie_McA
    Options
    Your intentions do not sound bad, at least not consciously.
    As my actions weren't part of a cunning plan I didn't think my behaviour was so bad either. Doesn't seem to stop people sitting in judgement on me though.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    NO PROBLEM...that is normal and actually makes you think about what matters most. It also lets you know that it is OK to throw or give away food; this means that you are beginning to Value Yourself...You, your Wellness and Well-Being are worth wayyy more than a $5.10/15/20 bag of cookies or pizza or whatever. You are learning what is important and to put First Things First (but first you have to Learn what is First), that is the process you are now going through. There WILL become a time when you will take that extra 2 minutes and look at those cookies or whatever and say, Nope, I'm keeping My 5/10 Bucks, this stuff is not even worth the effort to take home, then give away...not only that if I DO NOT believe in it for Me what if someone else is having the same struggles and I just made their Life worse...so Imma take this 5 Bucks and put in My REWARDS JAR to Reward Myself upon reaching a new milestone like: A new Digital SLR Camera or Lens; or New Outfit; or a New Revolver; or Green House Items or House Plants; or Weekend Excursion; or Music Lessons to learn how to play the Guitar or Art Lessons...

Eliminating Old Habits and Learning New Habits are a part of a Lifestyle Change, IF you continue it and be Patient.

I USED to do that with Food Items and Alcohol...can't tell ya how many bags of flour, rice, sugar, wine, soda, liquor, beer...I gave away, then threw away before I became really invested in/committed to Me-My Wellness and Well-Being.

ETA: Being hungry has Nothing to do with our purchases. It is how "we" are PROGRAMMED by advertising and research, the way Grocery Stores are set up, and of course childhood and adult habits. The Food, Supplement...Industries are NOT going to let us off the hook easy. WE will have to fight and struggle for our Physical and Emotional Wellness around food and drink, because TRILLIONS of dollars are based on BAD eating and drink habits, The Medical/Insurance/Pharmaceutical/Supplement/Food Industries make TRILLIONS of dollars based on Human Dysfunction, and they also Employ Millions of people. One hand washes the other BUT YOU have to decide for Yourself what will be your water source for washing!
  • Rosie_McA
    Options
    I did read your previous comments, including the part where you asked if you should feel ashamed for doing this. The fact that you even need to ask says to me that you are questioning your intentions in doing this - hence my questioning of your use of schadenfreude. If I buy cookies with the intention of eating them, I eat them. If I second guess myself later as to whether having an entire bag of cookies around is a good idea for me, I would bring them in to share with other people, but I wouldn't then continue repeating that behavior in the future.

There's a difference between bringing in a treat for everyone to share (which could just as easily be fruit or veggies) and bringing in foods you consider "unhealthy" just to watch others eat them and congratulate yourself on resisting. Since I'm not sure why you continue to do this and you yourself haven't self-reflected on it beyond "yeah, I do it and admit that I do," I can only speculate on your motivation based on your own words. If you really don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing, I'm not sure why you bothered to ask for others' opinions. *shrugs*
    I mulled over your opinion and decided that I didn't agree with it.
    My suspicion is that I make these purchases when I'm hungry and then after eating lunch the craving for sugar drops, and thus I ditch the cookie. As it happens I often take fruit into work and share it, but that seems irrelevant. I have no issue with your opinion, just the condescending manner of the delivery.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I buy or make things to take in because I like to share :laugh: When I make things, it's usually because I've done something to the recipe to make it lower in calories or carbs, so I like to hear the opinions on it.

I also make stuff for our nursing office, maintenance crew, housekeeping and the patient transporters, because they're always understaffed and overworked, and I want to show my appreciation for their efforts.
  • kgeyser
    Options

I mulled over your opinion and decided that I didn't agree with it.
    My suspicion is that I make these purchases when I'm hungry and then after eating lunch the craving for sugar drops, and thus I ditch the cookie. As it happens I often take fruit into work and share it, but that seems irrelevant. I have no issue with your opinion, just the condescending manner of the delivery.

:huh: There wasn't anything condescending in my delivery. I wrote words, you supplied the perceived tone based on your personal standpoint as the reader. I wasn't attacking you or being rude.