thoughts on bacon?

Options
I always assumed that bacon was some kind of thing to stay away from when watching what I eat. I'm starting to think different now. For the past several weeks I have been eating center cut bacon every morning FOR BREAKFAST. For every 2 bacon strips of bacon it's 50 calories. Honestly when it comes to bacon it's not like I am going "hog wild" to cook a crap load. I think it's great for energy yet small enough to eat in moderation. I would like to know other peoples thought on this?

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bacon, or any other food, as long as you stay within your calorie allotment :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's bacon, what's not to love?

Except turkey bacon. That's blasphemous and punishable by death.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's great.

/thread
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bacon is one of my favourite food on Keto diet. The only doubt I have is all the artificial things they put in...Other than that it's perfect.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I always assumed that bacon was some kind of thing to stay away from when watching what I eat. I'm starting to think different now. For the past several weeks I have been eating center cut bacon every morning FOR BREAKFAST. For every 2 bacon strips of bacon it's 50 calories. Honestly when it comes to bacon it's not like I am going "hog wild" to cook a crap load. I think it's great for energy yet small enough to eat in moderation. I would like to know other peoples thought on this?

Pretty much anything is okay to eat in moderation. As long as you are keeping track of your macros, sodium intake, etc, you should be fine. Eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight doesn't mean you have to give up foods you like, you just have to eat less of them. Eating center cut bacon is something I've done for a while, my hubs and I both enjoy bacon and this way we can have what we want and keep it within our goals.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Bacon is one of my favourite food on Keto diet. The only doubt I have is all the artificial things they put in...Other than that it's perfect.

Artifical things such as?
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How punny.......
    :wink: :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking up 3 or 4 lbs of berkshire pork belly at a time and pulling out what I need.....yum and cheaper than bacon in my area.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that the calorie count you are using assumes yours cooking the crap out of the bacon, and then draining the fat and patting the slices.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

nitrites?

the only thing with bacon for me is the amount of sodium. if I have it I need to watch my sodium for the rest of the day or i'll go way over.
  • mccindy72
    Options

nitrites?

the only thing with bacon for me is the amount of sodium. if I have it I need to watch my sodium for the rest of the day or i'll go way over.

You know that nitrites are naturally occuring in vegetables, right? And are you on a low-sodium diet, that you need to watch your sodium after a couple of pieces of bacon?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Bacon is delicious and full of vital nutrients, eat it if you like it.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's bacon, what's not to love?

Except turkey bacon. That's blasphemous and punishable by death.

LOL! I have two slices almost every morning...can't go wrong with bacon
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love bacon and eat it a lot actually.
    Just be aware that the calorie count you are using assumes yours cooking the crap out of the bacon, and then draining the fat and patting the slices.

I do cook it pretty good(not sure what "cook the crap out of it entails tho) and drain the fat (mostly then cook my eggs in a bit of it) and pat it down...I hate that feeling in my mouth...
  • shelisa619
    shelisa619 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've cut it out of my diet for the while. Till I fall back into routine.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Many brands will fall into the processed meats category so I can't say there isn't some evidence that it might not be great for you.

Now, that said, I honestly don't care. I like bacon too much and if my death at 95 occurs from bacon overload, then bring it on!
  • mccindy72
    Options

You'd be better off to put it back into your diet in moderation and adjust the rest of your diet for moderation, and make that your routine, rather than restricting yourself and waiting to fail.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

So sad. :sad:
    Oh well more for me! Nom nom nom :drinker:

sizzling-bacon-cinemagraph.gif
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

nitrites?

You know that nitrites are naturally occuring in vegetables, right? And are you on a low-sodium diet, that you need to watch your sodium after a couple of pieces of bacon?

I'm not on a low sodium diet but I do try to limit myself to 2500mg a day. I love bacon, and there is no way I eat a couple slices, so I get a huge dose of sodium when I eat it.

I'm definitely not arguing against bacon, or sausage, or any other cured meats, I love and eat them all, but like anything else, moderation is the key if someone is worried about the additives they contain.

I'm aware of nitrates in vegetables, but I'm also not eating a pound of radishes at one sitting to get a nitrate overload.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently wrong with bacon or any other food. Bacon can easily be part of a well balanced and nutritious diet. I have a couple of slices pretty much every Saturday and Sunday.