Gaining weight on Birth Control?

Options
Ladies... please help me make sense of this. If you look at my diary and you look at how much I workout, SHOULD I be gaining weight? I was sick back in October/November and in December had to go in for "girl stuff" (I had a cyst on one of my overies) that had caused me to gain about 10lbs. My hormones were EVERYWHERE!. I knew I could get back to where I was in about a 2 month span. However, it was recommended to me to go back on Birth Control (Evra Patch) which I have done. I feel like I'm blowing up like a damn balloon!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm 31 (going on 32) I feel disgusting and it's really effecting me physically and emotionally. Is there any other way to maybe stay on birth control and NOT gain weight? Has anyone else done it?

Thanks!

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask your doctor or NP about this.

I lost 20 pounds while taking birth control. But the hormones will not have the same effect on every woman. Your doc might have a better option for you.
  • morganwelch165
    Options
    I gained my thirty pounds right after I went on birth control (IUD) I just started working out so idk if it will effect my weight loss but I am going to get this thing taken out of me asap!
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did gain a little bit of weight when I started on birth control late this summer. My pills gave me a HUGE appetite and I gained about 10 lbs, but that went away within 2 months and went back down to my pre-birth control weight. From what I hear, it takes about 3 months for your body to adapt to the hormonal changes and return to normal.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    This is making me so depressed. I put on my pants and I'm like 'What the hell?" I've gone from my "holiday" eating which was a tad excessive, to "clean" eating 85% of the time and it's like my body is totally confused. I'm ready to freak out! I'm going to email my doctor and see if I can schedule an appointment with her this is absolutely ridiculous. I work far too hard and eat way too well to be putting on weight.
  • TheBunnyStrange
    TheBunnyStrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight with the shot but now we are trying a lower dose pill. Maybe you need to ask for somthing with a lower amount of hormones.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had a cyst on my ovary and had it (along with said ovary) removed back in 2011. That caused a huge hormonal outrage on whole system and I gained like 20 lbs in the two months following surgery. I maintained after that. I know many people say that hormones don't make you gain weight, but I beg to differ. (I may have been off work after surgery for 6 week, but after a week at home I started going for walks twice a day).

I know that once I changed birth control from Orthotricyclene to Min-Ovral, I have had a harder time losing weight.
  • ewinge
    ewinge Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on birth control as well. If you are eating correctly and you are working out it could be the wrong amounts of hormones for you. I had to get off of the patch because of that...of course I was pregnant by the time.