Advice/Feedback

Options
I joined our local gym mid-December and went about 3 days a week until January 1st and have been going 6-7 days a week since, running 45 minutes daily on the elliptical. I run about 3.3 miles at a 13.5 minute mile currently, and have the elliptical set on a cross training workout so the difficulty goes up and down twice like a hill.

I have been doing some weight lifting, mostly free weight bicep curls and a few arm machines, but haven't been doing much with my legs because I don't want them to be too sore that I can't run the next day.

I have lost about 8 pounds on the scale since I joined in December. I'm not sure if I'm doing enough to keep up my weight loss long term or if it's enough in general? Just kind of looking for general feedback and suggestions from fellow mfp friends.

My highest weight was once 230
I am currently 201-202
Started around 209-210

Goal: 150 pounds (at least)

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You're wasting your time with the weight lfiting. Your goal is weight loss. That comes from diet. Yes, the cardio does burn calories, but it also drives you to want to eat more. Do the cardio if you want to build cardovascular fitness. Lift weights if you want to build lean muscle mass or get stronger.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress. Keep it up.

Now, here's my $0.02:

1) The first couple of times you do a leg workout, you'll probably get some serious delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). It's just something you'll have to work through, just like any other soreness when you first start working out. But once your body adapts, which should take like 2-3 leg workouts, you'll be able to lift for legs and still do elliptical the next day. Over time, you'll find that it will help your elliptical performance.

2) Ditch the "mostly free weight bicep curls and a few arm machines." It's a classic newbie strength training mistake to focus on arms. You need to focus on compound lifts.

I would start you off with:
    Day 1:
    -Bench press, 3 sets
    -Overhead press, 3 sets
    -Dips (use the assist machine), 3 sets
    -Tricep extensions, 2 sets

Day 2:
    -Pullups (use the assist machine, do NOT do lat pulldown machine it's worthless), 3 sets
    -Deadlifts, 3 sets
    -Seated cable rows, 3 sets
    -Curls, 2 sets

Day 3:
    -Squat, 3 sets
    -Lunge with dumbbells, 3 sets
    -Leg extension, 3 sets
    -Leg curl, 3 sets

Day 4 - repeat day 3, day 5 - repeat day 2, day 6 - repeat day 3, day 7 - rest.

All sets load up to do 8 reps the first time through the routine, 9 the second time through the routine, 10 the third... when you can do 10 reps in any 1 set, increase the weight by the smallest increment possible and start back at 8.

That looks like a lot, but each of those days should only take you about 20 minutes to move through the 4 exercises. Pair that with 45 minutes on the elliptical and your whole workout is done in an hour and 10 minutes.

Now, if you don't want to do all of that, that's fine. But then just ditch weights entirely because doing 'a few arm exercises with free weights' is just wasting time.

"But SS...."

There are a lot of believers in SS. I'm not one of them, and neither are a lot of other strength trainers. The criticisms:
    1- SS is usually done by young men who add their own accessory work. If you follow the routine verbatim, SS has a rather poor exercise choice.
    2- It doesn't have enough frequency for a beginner. You need to be hitting muscles at least twice a week to maximize the effectiveness of what you're doing, otherwise you're likely to stall very early.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You're wasting your time with the weight lfiting. Your goal is weight loss. That comes from diet. Yes, the cardio does burn calories, but it also drives you to want to eat more. Do the cardio if you want to build cardovascular fitness. Lift weights if you want to build lean muscle mass or get stronger.

I agree that the type of weight lifting OP is doing is likely a waste of time, but following an actual lifting program while eating at a deficit generates fantastic results in dropping body fat while maintaining lean mass.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Great job! My advice would be to ignore any advice that says not to lift weights. haha. Honestly, the key is to keep on moving. Keep challenging yourself. Be consistent. Keep reading, asking, learning. It's a never ending process. You're doing awesome :flowerforyou:
  • mchixenbaugh
    Options
    My biggest question would be:
    From the info I've shared, is the amount of running I'm doing sufficient for weight loss?

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. (And the positive vibes) I think my biggest struggle was wanting to go the gym and now I'm looking forward to it.

Muscle building and toning is something I am more concerned about down the road, where as now my bigger concern is weight loss but I didn't want to completely ignore lifting at all.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I agree that the type of weight lifting OP is doing is likely a waste of time, but following an actual lifting program while eating at a deficit generates fantastic results in dropping body fat while maintaining lean mass.

This,

I'd also ignore the routine from pvarg - it's a tad complicated for a beginner.
    Look at Stronglifts 5x5 and get a good base
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My biggest question would be:
    From the info I've shared, is the amount of running I'm doing sufficient for weight loss?

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. (And the positive vibes) I think my biggest struggle was wanting to go the gym and now I'm looking forward to it.

Muscle building and toning is something I am more concerned about down the road, where as now my bigger concern is weight loss but I didn't want to completely ignore lifting at all.

I would start lifting NOW. I saw the most results when I started lifting than when I did strictly cardio. As long as you eat at a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Lifting while eating at a deficit helps maintain your current muscle while you lose body fat.
  • mchixenbaugh
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I will try adding more strength training to my workout. My arms are so weak it's hard to feel successful when you are doing arm machines with 35 pound weights on them. But I'll keep working at it!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'd also ignore the routine from pvarg - it's a tad complicated for a beginner.
    Look at Stronglifts 5x5 and get a good base
    4 exercises a day is too complicated? Ok then.
    Yes. Just keep pushing yourself to increase the intensity on a regular basis so you don't stall out.
    This is a false dichotomy. If you start strength training now, you will build some muscle and retain more as you lose weight. Colloquially known as 'toning.' If you strength train later, you'll find that you're rebuilding tissue that your body decided it didn't need.