overindulging in fruit derived sugar-good or bad?

Options
This morning I had a bowl of fruit for breakfast, consisting of a banana, apple, and some coconut. Its got a fair amount of calories and carbs, but I've already gone over my sugar intake for the whole day. I know too much sugar is bad, but since its coming from fruit (and not processed junk) is it ok? Can I have even more fruit today or would that be bad because of the sugar?
Follow up: this means that if a person actually had five fruits and veggies a day (like we're supposed to) they would go way over their sugar limit. Who is at fault, the traditional food pyramid or our idea of dieting?

Replies

• fatchancemom
    fatchancemom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    See: https://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea

this chick is kind of a nut, but I think what she says is true as far as limiting or eliminating animal fats and oils and eating Gods dessert all day. The food pyramid was derived as a way of getting consumers to buy more wheat products and meat.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    As long as it's from a natural source, I personally don't care if I am over in my sugars.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a bowl of fruit for breakfast, consisting of a banana, apple, and some coconut. Its got a fair amount of calories and carbs, but I've already gone over my sugar intake for the whole day. I know too much sugar is bad, but since its coming from fruit (and not processed junk) is it ok? Can I have even more fruit today or would that be bad because of the sugar?
    Follow up: this means that if a person actually had five fruits and veggies a day (like we're supposed to) they would go way over their sugar limit. Who is at fault, the traditional food pyramid or our idea of dieting?

Should always eat vegetables first and fruits should be looked at as a treat or a dessert. We are not meant to eat massive quantities of fruit at any one time every day.

In the long run it is not healthy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    See: https://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea

this chick is kind of a nut, but I think what she says is true as far as limiting or eliminating animal fats and oils and eating Gods dessert all day. The food pyramid was derived as a way of getting consumers to buy more wheat products and meat.

Natural or not, it is not healthy nor ok to eat "dessert" all day long. Not healthy in the long term.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Should always eat vegetables first and fruits should be looked at as a treat or a dessert. We are not meant to eat massive quantities of fruit at any one time every day.

In the long run it is not healthy.

And it is supported in not being healthy by?
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    2 fruit and 5 veg is the recommendation.

Not all fruits sugars are equal either, so I try to eat things like apples, citrus fruits, stone fruits, mangoes, strawberries and bananas, which are slower release, and avoid watermelon, rockmelon, pineapple and dried fruits.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a problem if you burn all or more of the calories you eat.

Excess sugar that isn't burned is stored as fat and too much excess sugar in your blood for extended periods is not good for your circulatory system. That being said, fruit has lots of benefits like fiber, nutrients, and phyto-chemicals so it's definitely the better choice for where you get sugar in your diet compared to other foods with added sugar. The only issue with eating lots of fruit is that is isn't a great source of protein, so do make sure to also get your needed protein and essential fats you need to round out your daily calorie totals.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Sugar isn't a problem if you burn all or more of the calories you eat.

Excess sugar that isn't burned is stored as fat and too much excess sugar in your blood for extended periods is not good for your circulatory system. That being said, fruit has lots of benefits like fiber, nutrients, and phyto-chemicals so it's definitely the better choice for where you get sugar in your diet compared to other foods with added sugar. The only issue with eating lots of fruit is that is isn't a great source of protein, so do make sure to also get your needed protein and essential fats you need to round out your daily calorie totals.

Not sure why you feel the need to make things up. Sugar is either oxidized or stored as fat through DNL?
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fruit sources of sugar aren't bad for you. Yes it would be smart to eat more fruit if you plan to be very active that day, if not it will be stored as fat.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, your body can't tell the difference. The thing that makes fruit sugars better is they're usually coupled with fiber. If you're trying to watch your sugar intake, sugar from fruit would count in my opinion. If you're just talking general dieting and you don't have an issue with blood sugar or anything, then go for it, it probably won't hurt you. As long as you're not eating nothing but sugar all the time.
  • hlopez_
    Options
    Yes sugar is sugar, but sugar from fruits are already broken down ready for use and are coupled with fiber and nutrients to aid in efficient digestion. You can't get this from a candy bar. Fruits help to increase fullness and satisify micronutrients without a large caloric requirement.
    Sugar is sugar, your body can't tell the difference. The thing that makes fruit sugars better is they're usually coupled with fiber. If you're trying to watch your sugar intake, sugar from fruit would count in my opinion. If you're just talking general dieting and you don't have an issue with blood sugar or anything, then go for it, it probably won't hurt you. As long as you're not eating nothing but sugar all the time.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Yes sugar is sugar, but sugar from fruits are already broken down ready for use and are coupled with fiber and nutrients to aid in efficient digestion. You can't get this from a candy bar. Fruits help to increase fullness and satisify micronutrients without a large caloric requirement.

Fruits only contain glucose? No other types of sugar? Hello ignorance
  • hlopez_
    Options
    So you are saying sugar from fruit is bad?
  • Acg67
    Options
    So you are saying sugar from fruit is bad?

How did you even jump to that conclusion?
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you have no reason to be concerned about your fruit intake, then it really doesn't matter. Although you should still eat more veggies than fruit, there's no reason to limit your fruit intake much.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for either 1) an enlightening discussion about the magical properties of fruit glucose > not-fruit glucose, or 2) an insistence that we are designed only to eat fruit in moderation (despite the certainty that if ancient man discovered a fruit tree in season, he would no doubt EAT ALL TEH FRUITZ!!!1!1!!eleven!!1).
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd week of using MFP. My opinion may be slightly biased, as my most recent attempt to get weight off previously was Weight Watchers, and their program promoted "free" fruit, although it wasn't meant to be a free for all! I also am lucky to live in a place where lots of fruits are grown and available locally, and are delicious. With the WW program I got down to my goal weight eating a lot of fruit.(although maintenance was another not so happy story). I am amazed that so many people here seem to be scared to eat fruit! It is a brilliant addition to a balanced diet, it makes a healthy alternative to other processed, sugar added, nutrient deficient, fat laden, sweet stuff. With MFP, as long as the calories are counted, it will fit well with the program. Fruit is good for our bodies and definitely should be eaten, IMHO