Where to start with macros???

Options
Hi I have had my recommended macros worked out for weight loss at my gym. They are the following:
Protein 100-120g, carbs 100-120g, fat 40-50g and fibre 35-45g.
Question is how did you all re educate yourself without getting a degree in nutrition?!? Did you plan every meal out till you get the hang of it? Any tips would be appreciated thank you. I have also been given a 1500-1600 calorie goal thanks :)

Replies

• kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use the website www.iifym.com to caculate macros. Im def not an expert just started working on looking at macros a couple weeks ago.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and I've just started experimenting with macros last week. After playing around with the numbers I've chosen a 45c/35f/20p split for right now and I don't think I'll ever hit it exactly, but my goal is to come within a few grams-especially for the protein number. It's actually kind of fun to do-like a puzzle where you're trying to make the pieces fit :laugh: I'm sure it will also get easier with time!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I think the best place to start is to review what you currently eat, and see how it will fit into your macros.

I found when I started I was very low in protein, so I just played around with entries and food amounts of foods I commonly eat, and was slowly able to find out what works.

Pre-planning is key. If you can't do long periods at a time, I suggest at least tracking one day ahead so you can basic meal-prep!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Pre logging your day is the easiest way to be sure you are hitting your goals. Eat what you log and only what you log. Be sure you weigh everything. You'd be surprised at how often the serving size is not actually the true serving size.
  • Emmalp35
    Emmalp35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I looked at the protein and weighed a chick breast which looked pretty big and it was only 38g! Will have to research some other non meats protein as I can't afford to eat any more than 1 chick breast a day. I'm on a detox from the gym this week so ill track that. It's going to be a challenge financially as I have a partner and 3 kids to think about. I imagine a lot of trial and error and adapting recipies for them.

Thanks again :)
  • Emmalp35
    Options
    Brilliant!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Was googling for hours trying to find a site like this thank you :))

Re: www.iifym.com
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Do research, read the results of scientific studies on nutrition, read articles by respected nutritionists like Alan Aragon and Layne Norton for example.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I looked at the protein and weighed a chick breast which looked pretty big and it was only 38g! Will have to research some other non meats protein as I can't afford to eat any more than 1 chick breast a day. I'm on a detox from the gym this week so ill track that. It's going to be a challenge financially as I have a partner and 3 kids to think about. I imagine a lot of trial and error and adapting recipies for them.

Yes, eating chicken every day all day can be really expensive, especially depending on where you live.

Other good sources of lean protein are tuna, fish and turkey. I love buying turkey after holidays when they are on sale, cook the entire thing, and then freeze into portions. Usually a 14lb turkey makes over 20+ meals for me!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Also a family of five here :) I don't normally eat chicken, so I look for clearanced pork and beef, and then add it to other things that have protein as well (mushrooms, eggs etc). My lunch today, which is my big meal of the day, has over 50g of protein and cost under $3, because the pork was on sale, and then it was clearanced on top of that :) The mushrooms actually cost more than the pork lol.
  • Emmalp35
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I will deff take it all on board and thanks for the protein Suggestions. I'm in the uk so everything is overpriced here! I am sure ill be asking about something again tomorrow lol x