How to drink MORE water...

Options
I find that my calorie intake and exercising are great, but I'm having trouble 'remembering' to drink as much water as I should be throughout the day. When I exercise I drink lots, but feel like I need to drink more throughout the day.

I know I've seen all over the web different ideas/rituals that people utilize to remind them to drink their water (ex: packing 8 water bottles around.. seems excessive), and I'm wondering if any of you utilize a routine that you have found works for you??

Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    I schedule my water like I schedule my food. Breakfast is my planned food and a planned 16 ounces of water. Am snack is my snack food and 16 ounces of water, etc.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I actually have a couple friends that send me wall posts, PM etc telling me to do it,,,seriously....
  • nimmernom
    Options
    I schedule my water like I schedule my food. Breakfast is my planned food and a planned 16 ounces of water. Am snack is my snack food and 16 ounces of water, etc.

that's actually a smart idea, don't know why I never thought of that.. thanks!
  • MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I feel like I sound like a broken record but water is my diet plan!

When I wake up I drink a cup of water. Then before breakfast, 16 oz. and another 16 before lunch, 16 with lunch, 16 whenever I feel thirsty in the afternoon, 16 before dinner and 16 with dinner. Needless to say, I am meeting my water intake for sure! :-) It was hard before when I was used to drinking a pop with meals or coffee with breakfast. (Not to say that I don't drink coffee - I would be a ZOMBIE! I just make sure to drink a glass of water before).

In the beginning, it forced me to eat less, and now it's a habit. Before I put ANY food in my mouth, I down a glass of water. Good luck!
  • leaner426
    Options
    I bought a couple of quart water bottles and keep them in the fridge. I have myself in the habit of trying to drink so much in the am, afternoon and pm. If I've forgotten, at least the bottles let me know how much I have drunk. If you have a smart phone you can also set it to go off every couple hours to remind you to drink water.
  • nimmernom
    Options
    When I wake up I drink a cup of water. Then before breakfast, 16 oz. and another 16 before lunch, 16 with lunch, 16 whenever I feel thirsty in the afternoon, 16 before dinner and 16 with dinner.

Like the first post, this is a great idea. Basically have to drink before I can have my meal.. makes perfect sense.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I keep a 16 oz bottle of water at my bed. I might take a swig or two during the night, but I make sure I drink it completely when I take my vitamins in the morning. Therefore, I'm already in 2 cups before I take a shower.

After a while, you will get used to drinking more water, but it took me around 6-8 months to regularly remember to drink 8 cups per day minimum. I average 12-14 cups per day now, but I imagine that I weigh a lot more than you!!! :laugh:
  • chmill24
    chmill24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 oz water bottle which makes it quite simple. Fill it up twice for the 'recommended' 8 glasses of water a day. In truth I usually end up drinking a full 32 oz around 4 or so times a day. Filling up a water bottle only twice (due to increased capacity) makes the eight 8-oz glasses of water seem like a lot less effort.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up and start my day by having a glass of water... followed by my preworkout... and mix that with 12oz of water...I usually make an ice water to take down the road to the gym... I usually drink the preworkout/water before I am even 5 mins out the door. Then I sip on that ice water til I get to the gym...
    Usually refill the water bottle I bring with me... at least every 30 mins when I work out... and refill it before I leave for my house...

I usually take in anywhere from 5-8 (servings/8oz) before 8am when I leave for work...

Then just like the lady before me...
    I usually schedule my water all day long.

We have an ice machine here at work and I am usually filling up my glass with ice and water every hour and half... minimum!!

It was really hard for me to get started on the water...because I loved Diet Dr Pepper so much... but I have found that I stay much better hydrated and much less hungry if I am able to stick to my water routine!!

It's do-able... just get into a routine!!
  • courtkizer
    courtkizer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was never into drinking cold water. I often would chug water just to get drinking it out of the way to meet my daily goal. Now I make myself have cold water, so I sip it all day long. Works great.
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bought a 64 oz water bottle at my local supermarket. Fill it up at the beginning of the day, make sure to have it done by 5 p.m. I loathe drinking water, but, hey, gotta be healthy and all that.
  • MissDLynnR
    MissDLynnR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi All! My problem is that I don't like water. Does anyone have any ideas for something I can add to it so I can enjoy it more. I am drinking less than 2 glasses a day and I know that if I could drink more Id lose weight easier! Ive tried lemon that is good but I need something different. Any ideas?
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that puts rubberbands around her cup. And instead of trying to remember to fill it 4x each day, she rolls one rubberband up each time she fills it up. That way she has a visual throughout the day of how much water she still needs to drink.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I "bribe" myself... "you can have another bite of whatever when you get the water below this point on the water bottle." Seems to work for me.
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Something that's worked for me is using effervescent vitamins and things like fibre sachets as an excuse to have another glass of water.

When I start my day, the first thing I want to do is take the multivitamin so I fill up my glass... but my glass is a pint glass and the multivitamin tastes better in a half pint so I have to down the first half pint before I can get the vitamin in there :) (oh yeah, added bonus is that fizzy vitamins are orange or berry flavoured but zero calorie so it's a win!).

My routine now has a fibre sachet after lunch so, same routine (although the first half pint tends to go with the meal this time).

That's half my recommended daily water intake merely as a side effect of my nutritional goals :) A couple of cups of peppermint tea and I'm only one pint away from my recommended amount of water :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I make myself get at least 3/4 of my water in before I allow myself my 1 Diet Dr. Pepper for the day!!
  • sweiland1
    sweiland1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A contigo bottle with a straw. Seriously, I drink 10 glasses of water vs my zero or 1 glass before. Something about the straw and being able to take it with me everywhere.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I got a 64 oz "big gulp" container and I make it a point to drink at least 3 of them a day (extra if I exercise). I keep it at my desk, between my hands as I type, and I suck on the straw all day. Literally. I think having something "fun" to drink helps too. I drink a lot of iced tea and that keeps my sweets cravings in check.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi All! My problem is that I don't like water. Does anyone have any ideas for something I can add to it so I can enjoy it more. I am drinking less than 2 glasses a day and I know that if I could drink more Id lose weight easier! Ive tried lemon that is good but I need something different. Any ideas?

Lemon wedges, cucumber slices, mint leaves. I try to stay away from Mio, etc....those have citric acid & fake sugar.

Herbal tea bags are great for flavor.....lots of fruity ones available.

Another idea.....a Brita water pitcher. I keep it in the fridge....much better than tap water....less waste than individual bottles.
  • OwnedByAshKaiPet
    Options
    Try some water infusion. My fav is strawberry and lime. I have a 64oz bottle I slice 2 strawberrys and one lime into. I use the fruit all day and refill the bottle 2-3 times a day. Make up a pitcher and let it sit over night for even stronger flavor