5k Times

Options
What's your best 5k time?

Best mile?

I ran sprints throughout highschool, but anything over 1/2 a lap full tilt and im done. Pacing myself, i can make it 1/4 mile (so im a drag car-what of it?)

My goal is to run a 5k without dying, puking, crawling, or walking in a decent time-except i have no concept of decent.

I want the mile time because you need to run a mile before you run three miles....;)

Before anyone starts laughing-i can pull a 1984 F350 dually 100y at a jog, so shut up. :)

Help me to not die :D

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The best decent time for a 5K is the time you complete a 5K. The only person you should compare yourself to is yourself. What my 5K time is should be completely irrelevant to what you want to do.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Best 5k: 21:35 (2013)
    Best mile: 5:54 (1998...in high school...lolzzz)
  • richbut
    richbut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    only compete against yourself, keep aiming to beat your last run.

my best was 27.29 and im aiming to beat that every time i run now

my problem is boredom, keeping my brain active during the run, especially on a treadmil
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The best decent time for a 5K is the time you complete a 5K. The only person you should compare yourself to is yourself. What my 5K time is should be completely irrelevant to what you want to do.

This.

And I dont know how pulling an old truck is useful info here.
    And telling us to shut up isnt going to help with response.

To work on your 5k goal, look at Couch to 5k (c25k) and start from there.

Eta: to answer your question, my best 5k time was 24:58 (pre injurt, dec 2012) and 27:52 (post injury and PT, nov 2013). Every race I do, my goal is to beat the previous race time and get to that sub-25. But I had completed a half mary only a few weeks prior to that sub25.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Best 5K: 19:45
    Best Mile: 5:20something...
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I wish my 5K time was better. But at least I can do a 5K! My best mile was like 9minutes, but I can't sustain that pace past that first mile. My best 5K time is 43:something. I think half an hour for a 5K is pretty standard as I have a slow pace and short stride but definitely don't get discouraged if you go over that time. You first 5K should be all about finishing, hopefully without walking. Then work on your time from there. And most of all - have fun!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

^this.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

This.

Work through a program such as C25K and don't worry about time. Just being able to run for 5K is reward itself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What's your best 5k time?

Best mile?

I ran sprints throughout highschool, but anything over 1/2 a lap full tilt and im done. Pacing myself, i can make it 1/4 mile (so im a drag car-what of it?)

My goal is to run a 5k without dying, puking, crawling, or walking in a decent time-except i have no concept of decent.

I want the mile time because you need to run a mile before you run three miles....;)

Before anyone starts laughing-i can pull a 1984 F350 dually 100y at a jog, so shut up. :)

Help me to not die :D

First, not dying or puking is a good thing. All I can suggest is that to build your endurance find a pace at which your breathing is relaxed (you can speak in full sentences) and do the majority of your running at that pace (worry about speed later)

Your mile time has nothing to do with your 5K time - energy management is completely different, your pace for longer runs is always going to be slower than shorter distances.

No at all helpful but the world record for a 5K (men) is 12:37.35 for women it's14:11.15...........my first 5K (in 2009) was close to 40 min, last year I was closing on on 25 min but I'm also old....
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My best time was 42 minutes I stupidly decided to do it on my first day back at the gym so now put myself off attempting it for a while but I will try it again lol
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My best time is 31:48, which I achieved this past weekend. My goal is to run a sub-30.