Golds Gym??

Options
So I have come across some issues at my gym (Bally's) where I am now strongly considering changing gyms. One of the ones I am considering is Golds Gym....I have never had a membership there nor do I know anyone who has either. I called to get information about the gym (pricing...etc...) and all I got was a basically...come see us and we'll talk. Thus far, not so appealing or welcoming. So do you have experience with Golds Gym??....what are you paying?...or how are their prices based. The guy on the phone said "it is based on your goals"....ummm what kind of answer is that???

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    From what I recall, Golds Gym's pricing is very similar to buying in bulk: the more you buy at once, the less you pay per unit.
  • katzak729
    katzak729 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was a member there for 6 months. I paid about 100.00 to join (I didn't want a contract) and about 45.00 a month. I'm not sure how pricing is different at other places. I live in Austin TX. They have a free 1 week trial membership, you could give it a try to see if you like it.
  • crissi66
    Options
    hey, i did ballys it cost a small fortune. there is a fee every month( to be expected) plus a membership fee. Usually to get a affordable plan you need to sign in for 3 yrs.

I use planet fitness. I looked up and saw there are some in cali but im not sure how far they would be from you. they are nice and priced really good. 20 bucks a month and you can bring a friend for free with you everytime. check them out.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I go to Snap fitness (I live in milwaukee, wi). It cost $35/mo for a single or $50/mo for 2 ppl (I did that for me & my bf). They also have a rate that the more months you pre-pay, the cheaper it is.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    That was a common "Sales" answer, he didn't want to be locked down by a cheap quote over the phone. I've had some experience with fitness gym's and I would say there isn't a penny's difference in any of them. they are all trying to make as much profit as they can (as with any business) and they cut corners to the point it's uncomfortable to workout, I know where I worked they would keep it so cold in the winter your breath would almost fog up, and in the summer they installed huge ceiling fan's and tuned up the temperature to the point people were constantly complaining about getting so hot they were getting sick. My answer to this situation; exercise at home, I invested in a durable Sybex Brand treadmill and fitness balls, and oh course my old dependable Health Rider.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I did Golds for many years (I switched to a gym closer to home)..but I miss Gold's. It was franchised (which I think most are), but loved it. It was huge and very well maintained. I could just get lost in it. All the classes were included and they were constantly upgrading. I paid 32 a month but that was at the very beginning before they opened their permanent place, so the rate was low and I locked in for as long as I stayed a member.
    Anywho...I think it just depends on who runs it. Just like any other business. Some are great, some are bad. Try a free week and see what happens.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really dislike Bally Fitness :) They never stop calling. Their gyms are cramped, dated & too packed.

My friend joined Golds Gym so she could go with her trainer. I think its one of the few chain gyms that let you use your own trainer. I personally have not been in one, but I hear they are 'no frills' which can have its own benefit. I bet the posers are less there than in Bally's ;)

I belong to LA Fitness, and I love them. Been with them for years now. No contract.
    I can keep track of my account online, go to many locations that are all well maintained and each offer their own unique benefits - like one has a pool, another raquetball courts, another has a basketball court etc. Also you can take a non member to play racquetball with and they can pay $15 per month to play with a member & not have to sign up themselves.
    And its easy to put your account on hold if you travel for a few months (or take a break) and they'll only charge minimal for those months. I put about $180 down, theres no binding contract like Ballys, you can leave whenever you want, and I pay $30 a month. They have great family plans too.
    You can put less down & pay more - my friend just joined (through their online site) and no deposit, $8.95 a week, $25 down, no contract. That deals on till November 30th.
    https://www.lafitness.com/Pages/NonMemberHome.aspx
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    I was a member of a Gold's Gym in Wisconsin. I only paid 35.99 a month. I think Gold's are owned by individuals, so each place can charge whatever they like... and it varies from place to place. I didn't have any problems with the gym and really enjoyed it.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oh yes definitely try the free trial week or 3 sessions whatever they offer - make sure they let you do that before you commit to anything!
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a Gold's in Georgia and loved it. The instructors were fun and upbeat, and it was just overall a great atmosphere. My current Gold's is okay....but not nearly as wonderful as my previous one. All gym's, even the same franchise are going to have a different feel, so definitely go in and take advantage of the free week they offer. The nice thing about all Gold's is that the classes are included in the price. Don't be afraid to check out any local Y's too. Some of the ones around here are REALLY nice and offer loads of classes!
  • trackgirl_08
    trackgirl_08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness because they only cost like $10 a month, but you don't get to have the advantage of classes like at the larger gyms. I must say though....for just price, it is some bang for your buck.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness because they only cost like $10 a month, but you don't get to have the advantage of classes like at the larger gyms. I must say though....for just price, it is some bang for your buck.

I go to Planet Fitness as well and love it.
  • annie008
    Options
    hey, i did ballys it cost a small fortune. there is a fee every month( to be expected) plus a membership fee. Usually to get a affordable plan you need to sign in for 3 yrs.

I use planet fitness. I looked up and saw there are some in cali but im not sure how far they would be from you. they are nice and priced really good. 20 bucks a month and you can bring a friend for free with you everytime. check them out.

There are two planet fitnesses that come out when I enter in my zip code and they're both nearly 30 miles aways....near Disneyland. Which to go to the gym, is toooooooooooo far. I checked out their website....they sure are bright!
  • annie008
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!...do any of you know if Golds offer packages that include going to various locations...or because it is franchised you're stuck with that specific one?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    i just got a membership to LA fitness and they charged me $19.99/mo. no startup, all clubs. And they are 1. NICE and 2. EVERYWHERE!!
  • alex51026
    Options
    I'm a member of Gold's Gym in RIchmond, Va. I pay about $27/month. I joined when they had their "Turn back the hands of time" event and I joined at the rate my wife's friend joined at several years ago. Two words, Body Pump. Great class to get back in shape, good luck!
  • knsmall
    knsmall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!...do any of you know if Golds offer packages that include going to various locations...or because it is franchised you're stuck with that specific one?

I belong to Golds in Reno, Nv. I LOVE MY GYM!! It has tons of classes at various times, child care, personal training, a pool and a women's only work out area; and I use all of them. It is one of the newer gyms here so not all Golds may be like this.

My husband & I both belong and we use our membership at different locations (there's 3 or 4 different ones in my area) and when I signed up, they said my membership was good ANYWHERE!! So far, it's true locally.

I only pay $30 a month and I've seen recent "specials" for $20 a month with no fees (wish I'd got in on that) and mine was a year contract. Try the free week you get from their website and expect to feel a little pressure to sign up, it's just how it is.

Good luck in your search!
    Kelly
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Have you tried 24 Hour Fitness? I did a trial membership there and loved it! I have a really cheap gym through my work ($60/year) so I haven't joined yet. I didn't feel pressured to join at all and I didn't feel judged like at some of the bigger gyms. I could just do my thing and get out and not have to worry about being what other people thoughtl. They have some awesome deals if you buy a couple year membership it ends up being less than $15/month. Here is their website http://www.24hourfitness.com/ I know Costco is having a sale on it, but if you sign up for 24 hour's emails they send you emails when they are having membership sales. Good luck!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Double post of death!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness 19 if you're in the southern California area.. they have dues as low as $7 a month. There aren't any classes but every location has trainers that you can hook up with and they're always having specials on session packages. You can tag on an all club membership for like, another $3 a month. They're not really pushy, the gyms are clean and bright, there's childcare and lockers, and there's a great variety of machines and free weights. I had to give up my membership because of school but I wish I hadn't because I seriously loved it there.

I had a membership to Gold's when I first, first started working out. My mom prepaid a year's membership for me for Christmas so I'm not sure what the financial specifics were on it but I really liked that they're 24 hours and they have a specific women's workout room. Gold's tends to be populated with more srs bsns people who come to work out, sweat, and leave, so there's not a lot of fluff. The people at my location were really friendly and while I never took part in any classes because I was too intimidated, there was a good variety of activity spread throughout the week.

I'd check out either place and ask for a trial offer and try them on for size. Good luck!