Ran here from Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• 62smt
    62smt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a WW "alum" too---and am new to MFP. You are welcome to add me as a friend!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I lost 30 pounds with WWs years ago, I thought it was a really balanced and healthy plan. The plan is flexible enough to allow for you to eat processed 'diet' foods or whole, healthy foods... your choice. Of course 2% milk is going to be more points than skim milk. And quinoa isn't going to be cheap in the points either. I love whole foods but they tend to be higher in calories than diet foods... which just means you eat less of them (volume wise!) Portion control is key. The only way to lose weight is reducing caloric intake, and if you want to do that with whole unprocessed foods, just be prepared to eat less of them than you normally would. Obviously.

I think you'll do great here... it's the same concept just with calories instead of points! Good luck and best of success to you!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also had this issue with WW, that so many of the recipes I found for them had fat free cheese, fat free sour cream, margarine, fat free Cool Whip, etc. I don't eat "clean" by any definition and I often bring frozen lunches to work for convenience, but I've lost 35 pounds so far without the help of anything that said "diet" or "fat free" on the label. Not saying it as a judgment on people who use those products, it's just not my choice and the weight can come off without it if it's what you want. I won't use Hungry Girl recipes for the same reason...processed cheese food is not food to me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat the processed foods WW suggests-- I try to eat clean and as close to nature as possible which is why suggestions to eat fat free cheese, reduced carb bread, and fat-free cool whip were not acceptable to me.
    I'm not a fan of weight watchers, but also... this amused me.
    Is it those products, or the fact they are fat-free/low carb which worried you?
    Because the vast majority of the 'processing' would also be in place for the 'normal' versions.

I would suggest there's also no decent evidence for 'clean eating' bar the basics of getting appropriate amounts of nutrients.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've was on Weight Watchers for the past week and ended up hungry, cranky, and light-headed. I know-- it was only one week but that was all I needed to realize how unrealistic and frankly, unhealthy the plan is. They are right, you WILL lose weight on Weight Watchers, but only if you're willing to eat processed foods and very few proteins.

I refuse to eat the processed foods WW suggests-- I try to eat clean and as close to nature as possible which is why suggestions to eat fat free cheese, reduced carb bread, and fat-free cool whip were not acceptable to me. So when I added 2% milk to my coffee, or ate 2% Greek yogurt-- it took away a lot of my allotted points. When I addressed this on their message board the only response I got was, "Umm, eating 2% is not part of the plan".

That freaked me out, but also made me realize that those on it, use it without critically thinking about it.

In addition, I'm nutritionally educated enough to know the importance of protein, but WW doesn't seem to feel simillarly. Three ounces of plain, grilled chicken was worth more points than one large round of pita bread. Really?? Without enough protein, I'm never full for long so when I Googled, "still hungry on Weight watchers", the suggestions I got were to fill up on a lot of fruits and vegetables and...(wait for it) WATER.

What?? How is this a lifestyle change if people are asked to fill up on fruits and vegetables, which are GOOD-- but aren't filling. The human body needs protein, but I felt penalized any time I added a protein into my food log--and it makes you want to avoid them so you aren't left with very few points to eat at the end.

Sorry that my introduction began as a rant, but I'm still cranky from not eating enough on Weight Watchers, lol. When I entered what I ate into My Fitness Pal, I was permitted 400 more calories!

It is possible you didn't get past the initial weigh-in and intro meeting (if you only did WW for one week)... Have never heard WW (at any of the many times I've attended) promote and encourage processed foods. I personally quit WW because I didn't want to pay the fees.

But then, I've had an acquaintance say that MFP doesn't work, either...well, duh! When you give up too soon or eat everything you think you're entitled to eat (in whatever quantities) NOTHING will work.

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Chris45925
    Options
    Hello! I am a WW alumni and though it worked well for me (when I followed the plan and recorded daily), I found the online interface to be awkward and irritating. Of course, that led me to avoid it, all while paying the monthly fee. I thing this is a much better interface and I'm excited to be part of the community.
  • ready2beme
    ready2beme Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat the processed foods WW suggests-- I try to eat clean and as close to nature as possible which is why suggestions to eat fat free cheese, reduced carb bread, and fat-free cool whip were not acceptable to me.
    Because the vast majority of the 'processing' would also be in place for the 'normal' versions.

I would suggest there's also no decent evidence for 'clean eating' bar the basics of getting appropriate amounts of nutrients.

Except for the fact that most reduced/fat-free versions of anything have more sugar and artificial sweetener than their less processed and more "original" form counter parts.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Except for the fact that most reduced/fat-free versions of anything have more sugar and artificial sweetener than their less processed and more "original" form counter parts.

For milk and cheese? lol

I love these processed vs. unprocessed discussions. They are so full of B.S.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

For milk and cheese? lol

I love these processed vs. unprocessed discussions. They are so full of B.S.

I think She's also referring to the WW products that they try to sell along with the program. WW snacks are low points, but highly processed. I was on it a few years ago and I ate "clean" organic foods, like I normally do and I lost weight, but ended up gaining most of it back. The ambiguous points system bothered me. I like MFP because counting calories make sense to me and I can see exactly what I am putting into my body and why it's good for me or not. (too much sodium, too much cals, carbs...etc...)
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers twice and I wasn't a fan both times - I don't like the whole points system and whatever points I was allowed was apparently not enough calories, so I think the whole thing is just frustrating. And I agree all the crap they try to sell you just because it has the name Weight Watchers plastered on it is just junk. I think Vitamuffins/brownies are way tastier/better for you than those stupid Weight Watchers snack cakes that wouldn't even fill up a bird, and I'm choosing foods that are better for me as opposed to eating crap as long as it makes up my points for the day. I mean really, i know people on WW who eat pizza and other crap because WW said they can as long as their points are ok! lol not worth it. I'm way more accountable on here, but WW have it's good points I'm sure and does work for some people so more power to them - if it helps you lose weight then stick to it. At least MFP is free :)
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I too am a former WW and had a lot of success there (lost 50#). The thing I love about MFP is that there are so many different opinions and you can pick and choose who you trust and what you want to try. WW leaders have to speak "corporate", so they're never going to tell you "Hey, you're pretty active, maybe you need to eat more", or "Try changing to a 40/30/30 macro profile and see if the scale starts moving for you again." And certainly not "So, you're 5 lbs above your max goal weight, but you're at 20% BF - you are successful!"
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I too am a former WW and had a lot of success there (lost 50#). The thing I love about MFP is that there are so many different opinions and you can pick and choose who you trust and what you want to try. WW leaders have to speak "corporate", so they're never going to tell you "Hey, you're pretty active, maybe you need to eat more", or "Try changing to a 40/30/30 macro profile and see if the scale starts moving for you again." And certainly not "So, you're 5 lbs above your max goal weight, but you're at 20% BF - you are successful!"

So true! WW focuses mainly on the scale #, not other measurements. So frustrating for me when I was up 2 lbs. once and the woman who weighed me gave me a dirty look & no encouragement!
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I find that I am eating the same foods I did when I was on ww'rs but I find it easier to track calories vs points and this is free!
  • 62karen
    62karen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was going to WW and couldn't afford it anymore, so I had to quit. If I tracked everything that I put into my mouth and stayed within my points for the day, I did lose weight. I did enjoy going to the weekly meetings. I felt it kepted me in check with myself. Sorry to hear it did now work for you. I too just ran here from Weight Watchers and am looking for friends to help keep me motivated. So, if you feel like chatting for moral support, I am here! Send me a message. :smile:
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    rockmama72 said:
    I lost baby weight very quickly on WW in the late 90's. And then tried again with WW Online a couple of years ago. I found that I'd learned a lot about nutrition and my tastes in a decade, and also had developed my cooking skills too. It is very tedious to figure points when you don't eat many packaged foods. I mean, it's a little tedious here too, but not quite as much. I've found MFP to be very liberating for that reason.

I also found the message boards there to be overrun with gangs :) We have them here, but over there it was like people were paying to get beat up by mean girls. At least here I get it for free. (And they're not as bad here.)

That said, I know many who have been successful with WW because it fits their lifestyle. And that's really the key, we all just need to find our home.
    Absolutely agree. It really is about finding the program that works for you; it simply didn't fit with mine. Glad to have found MFP because it does!
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    mumblemagic said:
    /rant

Sorry, this has been bugging me.

Although the NHS has its faults, some of its advice is good. Its review of SW and WW said that they do not teach about calories and portion sizes so for a long term diet change are not good. I have noticed that some of the stuff they advocate is completely unscientific twaddle. The primary purpose of those diets is not to help people lose weight, it is to make money. This is probably why 80% of people on SW or WW do not acheive and maintain their goal weight over a 2 year period, and 86% do not over a 5 year period. It is not designed for long term healthy life change, it is desiged to keep people paying and coming back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23463006
    Wow, that is frustrating to have family members be on another plan that teaches differently. There is unfortunately a lot of information out there, but if you go to reputable sources (as you clearly have) you'll find information on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The angle I've personally taken is to eat as all-natural as I can in moderation. Instead of opting for the spray can of oil (which WW pushes), I prefer to use real olive oil because my background in Biology and public health, tells me that some fat is needed for the cells in your body. If I'm going to have them, I'd rather they be delivered as unprocessed as possible because I'm not sure what companies do to the products they churn out.

Your last paragraph is the truth. Ultimately, WW is a company that lives on profits, so the end goal is to really make lifetime members. It wouldn't optimize profits if members were able to sustain the lifestyle on their own. I can't blame them for that, it's how all successful companies operate. You will lose weight on WW's, but keeping it off is another matter.

They have a new Simple Start sub program that is a two week intensive diet of almost O point foods. The recipe's call for a lot of fat-free cheeses, reduced calorie breads, and fat-free Cool Whip for dessert (Cool whip by itself isn't natural, so the fat-free version is....well, less so). If I were to eat real cheese in moderation, and real bread, and a bit of real whip cream-- my points would be gone by mid afternoon.
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    I did WW for 2 yrs and lost 70 lbs until finances finally forced me to give it up. I went to meetings faithfully and never once was I encouraged to eat processed food. 3 ozs of plain grilled chicken is only 3 points a small pita is 2 points. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Furthermore, I have found that the points plus and calories were pretty comparable. Meaning lower calories = lower points. I do hate that I have to count the calories in my fruits and vegetables now when before I could eat them with abandon. Finally, there are plenty of other ways to get your protein. Vegetarians have been doing it forever. With any weight loss program it is a lifestyle change. Whether you are counting points or counting calories you should be learning to eat healthier.
    I know there are plenty of people who do enjoy/appreciate Weight Watchers, but I was feeling very poorly every morning when I was on it. I tried upping all the 0 points fruits and vegetables that I could to maximize what I ate, but they didn't keep me full for long. It was just demoralizing to enter hummus and have it be 4-5 points, that's a lot when you're on just a 27-29 point diet.
    sargessexyone said:

Yes it can be and I do find that I am eating foods now that I wouldn't have when I was on WW. I realize that WW is not for everyone and I am just saddened that you had such a bad experience because it is an awesome program (at least for me). In any case, the important thing is you didn't let it deter you from your journey. Good luck to you.
    Ahh, and the thing is, the foods I would have had to cut out are good for you. Yes, some of them have oil, but some oil is needed to keep our cell walls plump and functioning, and our organs robust and strong.

I also think WW has changed as of late. They have a new Simple Start sub program that is a two week intensive diet of almost O point foods. The recipe's call for a lot of fat-free cheeses, reduced calorie breads, and fat-free Cool Whip for dessert (Cool whip by itself isn't natural, so the fat-free version is....well, less so). If I were to eat real cheese in moderation, and real bread, and a bit of real whip cream-- my points would be gone by mid afternoon. I'd simply eat more of real, natural foods because we truly don't know what companies do to the foods they process.
  • thekeelbystamps
    thekeelbystamps Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did WW for 2 yrs and lost 70 lbs until finances finally forced me to give it up. I went to meetings faithfully and never once was I encouraged to eat processed food. 3 ozs of plain grilled chicken is only 3 points a small pita is 2 points. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Furthermore, I have found that the points plus and calories were pretty comparable. Meaning lower calories = lower points. I do hate that I have to count the calories in my fruits and vegetables now when before I could eat them with abandon. Finally, there are plenty of other ways to get your protein. Vegetarians have been doing it forever. With any weight loss program it is a lifestyle change. Whether you are counting points or counting calories you should be learning to eat healthier.

Here Here
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    geebusuk

Oh, I'm sure there is processing at hand for the other items, but one main reason I try to consume 2% milk products verses fat-free is because fat in limitation is needed for your body to function. Your cell walls need it to stay plump and functioning, your organs need it to do their jobs...etc, etc-- I just prefer to eat as they did in the past. Another reason? I have worked in the field of public health cancer control and prevention and am concerned about how much higher cancer rates are in the U.S. than in other countries. Do we know why? No. But I figure, eating the way our forefathers did might be good since their rates were low as well. (Naturally, there are other factors that could be causing the higher cancer rates like environmental toxins, but we can only control so much).
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options

This x10. When the natural fat or sugar or "bad" ingredient is taken out, something artificial usually takes it's place or it is processed even more in order to remove that ingredient.