Heart rate monitor

Options
A response to my previous question led me to this question - do you wear a heart rate monitor while exercising? Do you find this to be more accurate when tracking calories burned? And if so, any recommendations on what I should purchase?

Replies

• SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I personally do not wear one and never really thought that I should. I do spot check my HR occasionally when on the treadmill. They are supposed to track calories better but I'm not sure. I'm good with the estimates I get from here and my Fitbit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    they do track better, plus you get performance data to analyze in order to find improvements.

As far as burn goes, of course it's more accurate, sometimes 50% or more.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar T4 last week. Before I just used the MFP numbers or the computer on my treadmill. But I bought a fitness trampoline recently and wanted to know how many calories I was burning. I've learned some surprising things about my calorie burns, so I'm glad to have it. I also find it motivating. I'll stay on that trampoline until I burn the calories I want to burn.

What I've learned is that cranking the treadmill up to a 9% incline, which the treadmill computer says is really burning up the calories, is way off since the incline is too steep for me not to hang on. Lowering it to 3% and moving my arms burns way more than the computer says. And the fitness trampoline burns a lot.

I'm eager to see what happens if I vacuum or scrub a bathtub!
  • shimi1991
    Options
    I just got an ft4 also and I LOVE it. Those machines annoy me when I get on and it all of a sudden knows what im burning without me even entering any information? Yea right....