best money I've ever spent

Options
Recently I bought a digital food scale and a heart rate monitor watch off of Ebay, both fairly cheap, under 10 dollars, and it's the best thing I've done. Instead of blowing through a weeks worth of groceries in a few days, I've been able to weigh and separate them like I should. And my watch, I'm finally getting accurate readings in my calorie burn. MFP was giving me way too many burned calories for the amount of time and intensity I do.

Replies

• craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What did you buy for a heart rate monitor?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You're totally right--most people really overestimate what counts as vigorous exercise. Then the exercise calories are over the mark and people can overeat.

I love my measuring cup and scale. Helps me tremendously!

Congrats and good luck! :)
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just bought a polar FT7 on line. I haven't received it yet but am really excited to get an reading on calories. Hope it works well.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Both are amazing products. I definitely feel that I became more serious when I purchased both. Good luck to you!
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @ Craig, I went in Ebay, typed in heart rate monitor, not knowing what to expect, and I ending buying the stopwatch pulse heart rate monitor calories counter fitness watch clock HD23L from happydeal88. I got it about 4 days ago, and it's amazing. I knew I wasn't burning as much as what MFP was giving me. You put in your height, weight, age, and it's great.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I don't have a HRM because I thought they were also costly didn't know I could get one from $10 on eBay. Thanks!
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just beware there is a difference between the pulse rate HRMs and the more expensive ones that come with a chest strap - , there more accurate, you do get what you pay for.

In saying that I have had a Sigma HRM (with chest strap) for several years that I got online fairly cheaply for NZ$50 (about US$35-40) and I would say definitely still worth the extra few dollars over a pulse rate one

I agree though, HRM and Scale are the best tools for consistent results!
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    They have ones with chest straps for around the same price, I just liked the watch
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I never thought of weighing my food right when i buy it. That's a good idea. i might have to do that!! Thanks for the tip!
  • Jovette42
    Jovette42 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    YES! YES!! YES!!:drinker: I won my chest heart rate monitor through my insurance agency and then I earned my fit bit and stepper with the points. BUT the first thing I purchases 2 years ago was my scale for the food. It's the old fashion one BUT it works:wink:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Both are great tools, but be mindful that a HRM with a chest strap is far more accurate than just a watch.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! Best investments I made were my HRM, digital food scales and digital weighing scales (for weighing myself).
    Really don't know what I did without any of them:smile:
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just bought a polar FT7 on line. I haven't received it yet but am really excited to get an reading on calories. Hope it works well.

Thanks @boxpunk. I actually just purchased a fitbit on Ebay, but I think I'm going to re-sell it because I don't think it's going to record and capture the data I want. I am thinking of going with the Polar FT7 instead. I've researched it quite a bit, and watched video reviews on Youtube and it looks like it will fit the bill for me. I'm curious how the above poster likes it so far?

It's cheaper than the Fitbit too, so I can actually make some money back on the purchase!