Has anyone made friends at the gym?

Options
This is probably going to sound so juvenile but I'm going to get a membership tomorrow at a local gym not only for the fact that I want to work out but more that I want to get out of the house and actually meet people. I figured I'd probably be able to meet people at the gym, right?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sure. I've gotten to know alot of the (older) ladies in the swim classes. Sure they're old, but they're all very nice. I've also gotten to know a few instructors a little bit. Maybe these people all fall under the acquaintance category, but it's nice to hold conversations with them :)
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is totally possible, however some people may want to be left alone...like me. I am a cranky, anti-social seventy year old lady at heart. I put my headphones on and pretend everyone else isn't there in the nicest way possible, even when I swim lanes. I like to focus when I workout, plus I suppose I'm a bit insecure and don't want to risk getting criticized by someone. Which probably would only ever happen in my head. But whatever.

But I'm sure you will meet other lovely, social butterflies at the gym! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Most of us are there to work, we really don't notice other people, but there are some guys that I have a "what's up bro? Nice set" relationship with. I wouldn't consider them friends, but they're good guys. Not saying you couldn't make friends, I'm just there to work, not socialize, so maybe it's just me.

Rigger
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have made some very good friends at the gym. We enjoy encouraging each other and working out together. Many days I drag myself out of bed for a 0530 class because someone is expecting me.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I haven't made friends but I've made tons of acquaintances and people I'm friendly with. I generally don't socialize when I'm lifting (headphones in, doing my thing) but before and after classes (and during sometimes!) I chat with the other people in class.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes I've made some cool friends at the gym that I work out with regularly. Usually you make friends thru classes. Take some fitness classes and you will develop friendships because people see you have a common goal and interest.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Met a famous actor. Didn't know he was an actor or famous until 2 months later because nobody made a big deal out of it.

We became friends and now we're workout partners.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ive actually made good friends at my old gym, many i kept in touch with after i moved. It can be a social scene...but also a meat market. Get a feel for the hours and who goes when, dont be afraid of the free weight area, ask for a spot and start talking..
  • mschf3
    mschf3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can definitely make friends at the gym! If they have group exercise classes or bootcamps (or both) try those out. And smile a lot. :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've made many acquaintances lifting weights in the weight room. I know the names of many of the regulars, and can predict their workout routines, such as who I need to beat to the squat rack, and who's advice to take when someone offers it.

If I weren't old, introverted and extraordinarily busy, I could easily convert my acquaintances into friends.
  • drsean
    drsean Posts: 9
    Options
    I never intended to make friends, but yes. I have been going to my gym for about 4 years now. I am kind of shy around new people in these situations, but I have taken many classes over the years and have become acquainted with the trainers and other folks who go. Mostly we socialize at the gym, but I went to a party from a gym friend's invite once and feel I have met a few people I would miss if they ever moved on.

So if you are wanting to make friends and are more proactive, I am sure you will meet some great people.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    nope. i have no interest in gym buddies.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I wish I could make friends at my gym... meet new people AND workout!

But most people are there to focus on themselves and are not looking to be chatty and meet people, but I sometimes wish they were. Actually, people (ok, women) seem a *little* more friendly in classes like yoga, in my experience.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been actively going to the gym for almost 6 months now. I'm just now starting to really make friends/acquaintances. Now I don't want to scare you, it's because I'm very reserved and guarded in general. I take a while to warm up to people and gather the courage to talk to them. Add to the fact that I'm an expat living in a country where the native language is very difficult to become fluent in and locals whose English ability is not so great...well I think you can understand why it's taken me so long. ;)

I was very lucky to have another expat encourage me in my first class, so that helped keep me coming back. It's gotten to the point where I'm friendly with most of the expats and locals who I know speak English and I know all of the instructors whose classes I go to, though the language starts to be a problem in that relationship. But they all know me and will say hi and ask how I'm doing and where I've been if it's been awhile since I last came. But yes, going to the gym has vastly improved my lack of a social life!

Especially as I know they'll be wondering where I am if I don't go!

If you're just going to use the weights/treadmill etc. it may be harder to make friends as opposed to if you're doing the group fitness classes where there is the opportunity to chat with people before or after the class about what's going on. That doesn't mean it isn't possible if you're lifting weights or doing cardio, it may just take a bit more of an effort.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have made quite a few friends at the gym, I have been there for 4 1/2 years. Helped that the trainer I worked with and the owner and I became friends and did things socially outside of the gym. Now I have a whole group of friends that I have met at the gym and through people at the gym. I am pretty shy and quiet most of the time, it took me a while, just had acquaintances for the first year or so. I am at the gym 4-5 days a week, the people I have become friends with are similar to that. I have also made friends at classes that I go to, once I became a regular.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If they have group classes, those are great to meet people who have similar goals as yours.
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    I have become great friends with one of the guys who works at the gym. He's really cool and helps me out all the time. He's the only person I like there.
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Met a famous actor. Didn't know he was an actor or famous until 2 months later because nobody made a big deal out of it.

We became friends and now we're workout partners.

And inquiring minds want to know...
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I made a friend there 7 years ago. Now I'm best friends with him and his wife and Godmother to his daughter. Good luck!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    There are other people at the gym?!

I only notice others when all the squat racks are taken. :grumble: