Constructive criticism....

Options
I've always thought that if someone at the gym offered me constructive criticism that I would be able to take it. Wrong. This afternoon, I was in the free weight section doing trap bar dead lifts when I stopped to take a drink of water. This old man in his 70's was sitting on a machine about 20 feet behind me, waved me over to say something. I walked over taking my ear buds out to hear him. He goes, "Can I give you some constructive criticism?" Not knowing what he was going to say, I said sure. It went downhill from there. He told me he noticed I had some fat around my midsection and the best way to get rid of that is to get a big long rubber band from the sporting goods store. "And do what with it?" I asked. Apparently, I'm supposed to wear it while exercising. That's when I noticed he was wearing gardening gloves with the finger tips cut out.

Replies

• amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    *face palm*

Don't forget to wear your sauna suit too!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh jeeze. What an asshat. I figure unless someone is doing this:

25fk3nk.jpg

They probably don't need my help in the gym.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Doesn't cost anything to make an old man's day.

I would have said something like...."thanks for the tip", smile and continue on.
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't mind help if its legit, but don't tell me I'm fat. hahahaha!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OMG.

I hate people who give asthetic advice. I had a guy tell me his plastic surgon could remove a mole on my face.

This was someone I am acquainted with (we are NOT friends)... but it was like a random sentence about 2 or 3 sentences in to the conversation.

Jo>Hey Al
    Al> Hey how's my favorite lady lifter
    Jo> I'm good how are you
    Al> Oh you know you could get that thing shaved off right? My guy could do it really fast- recover is super fast.

W.T.F. How do you know ANYTHING about my body and what I like.

I dont' deal well with those kind's of comments.

They actually make me very. very. angry. Nope- not worth trying to "make someone's day" piss off.
  • keef1972
    keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You look great - ignore him!!!
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The gardening gloves are cracking me up. When I read big rubber bands, I imagined one of these things...

w2124l.jpg
  • slw5X5
    Options
    The gardening gloves are cracking me up. When I read big rubber bands, I imagined one of these things...

w2124l.jpg

LOL!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Gardening gloves - what a great idea.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Next time some old dude asks you that.. reply "No thank you. I'm all set." Then put your ear buds right back in and walk away.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    hahahaha You look great, dont worry about the old dude...Im glad you are my friend so I can give *kitten* to you about it :flowerforyou:
  • slw5X5
    Options
    Next time some old dude asks you that.. reply "No thank you. I'm all set." Then put your ear buds right back in and walk away.

Yeah, that's a good come back. Thanx!
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Better yet, never take your earbuds out! That's my strategy.
  • slw5X5
    Options

Better yet, never take your earbuds out! That's my strategy.

Even better!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    OMG.

I hate people who give asthetic advice.

This, exactly.

Constructive criticism... especially UNSOLICITED constructive criticism... is some advice about your technique, or perhaps ideas for a different mix of exercises in your workout routine.

Commenting on the look or shape of ANYONE's body - when that person is a total stranger - is simply being nosy and is out of bounds, IMO.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options

w2124l.jpg

HAHA!! I remember those things. In fact, our state fair had a vendor that featured a vibrating platform for weight loss.

LOL!!