Bbq ribs logging question

Options
I looked in the database, and all of the entries for baby back ribs are so different!! I'm having them today, and want to log them accurately. Sauce aside, is the best way to figure how much I eat to take uncooked total weight including bones and fat, eat, then weigh whats left and subtract? Wouldn't that give me the amount of meat I've eaten? I'm going to log the sauce separately.

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I generally do what you are saying... weight them first, then weigh what's left. Just make sure that you find an entry that's for cooked ribs rather than raw.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    But won't the fact that I first weigh them raw affect that? I'd weigh them cooked before eating, but that would include the sauce my husband is using to cook them in. Usually I can figure this stuff out, but with ribs being such a high calorie food and me wanting to eat more than just ribs, I want to be close on count.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the bone weight would change that much in cooking, so you probably could just weigh the bones and get a decent idea of the weight of the raw meat.

Usually when I do ribs I just do the cooked weight, subtract the bones, and figure that the weight of the sauce is not going to make too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I was actually just thinking that the sauce probably balances out any water evaporation from the cooking. Thanks for your help!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's how I do it, I know it isn't going to be exact, but it seems like the best way.