Working out everyday - opinions?

Options
Hi everyone
I would like to know your opinions about the effects of working out everyday.
In my case, I am now unemployed. I have absolutely nothing else to do. I am 24y, 127lbs, at 30% body fat (I know, its ridiculous. But its true.) And I am a bit over 5ft 5in.
My routine has been: wake up, breakfast with a lot of protein, go to the gym - elliptical for 15 minutes, and then all the machines that the personal trainer advised me. Like leg press, chest incline, pulldown, leg extension, plank... Basically I work many muscles but of course not a lot of weight since I havent exercised in a long time. After this, 45 min elliptical. And then I have a normal day at home, sometimes I go out. My diet is low carb, high protein, healthy fats. All the carbs I get are from veggies and quinoa. So, because I have a long period of rest, can I still workout everyday like this? I started last week and I already feel much better. It was hard doing 30 min elliptical, now I finish my workout with 45 min and I feel great.
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• DezSheMeetHerGoals
    Options
    I say that moving is always a good thing. I have noticed that when I stop exercising, my bad habits creep up fast. So exercise as long as you feel up to it. :)
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    Regarding the bad habits, its the same for me! Working out everyday keeps me focused! Thanks :)
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There is NOTHING wrong with exercising every day. Obviously, there are some that allow it to get to a point where it is unhealthy, however exercise can make you happier during this tough time that you're not employed. This could a great time that you get that bf% down, too since you have more time to focus :)

Ang
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'd be sure and vary your routine ... put a day of cardio in between the weight workout you're doing, unless you break it up. Optimal recovery of muscles after lifting is 48 hours. Or you can do legs one day, then chest and back the next and then legs the next ...

I choose to workout every day, unless work gets in the way. I throw in yoga as well as lifting and HIIT cardio. Sometimes just easy cardio if I'm tired. I just feel better if I go. :)
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    At 24, exercising every day is no problem if you're in OK health, although it's still not a bad idea to have a rest day maybe once a week to let your body recover somewhat.
    As you get older, recovery does take longer and then rest days are needed every couple days or more. Your body lets you know when it needs to rest, so learn to listen to it as your primary source for what you need to be doing.
  • shimi1991
    Options
    I love working out and I get a huge kick out of it. I work out 6 days a week and would go seven but I have two jobs and a two year old. I dont see why there would be a problem with that.
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    I love working out and I get a huge kick out of it. I work out 6 days a week and would go seven but I have two jobs and a two year old. I dont see why there would be a problem with that.

Thats amazing , really!
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    In my case, I am now unemployed. I have absolutely nothing else to do. I am 24y, 127lbs, at 30% body fat (I know, its ridiculous. But its true.) And I am a bit over 5ft 5in.
    My routine has been: wake up, breakfast with a lot of protein, go to the gym - elliptical for 15 minutes, and then all the machines that the personal trainer advised me. Like leg press, chest incline, pulldown, leg extension, plank... Basically I work many muscles but of course not a lot of weight since I havent exercised in a long time. After this, 45 min elliptical. And then I have a normal day at home, sometimes I go out. My diet is low carb, high protein, healthy fats. All the carbs I get are from veggies and quinoa. So, because I have a long period of rest, can I still workout everyday like this? I started last week and I already feel much better. It was hard doing 30 min elliptical, now I finish my workout with 45 min and I feel great.
    Thanks in advance!!

Hold up. How the heck are you 30% body fat? How did you measure this? You're at the lower end of what's considered normal weight for your height.
  • indigoigloo
    Options
    Yeah, this seems odd. I'm 5'6, 150lb and am about 33% body fat, and I'm not exactly an athlete.
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    I told you it was ridiculous. Its true. Because im naturally very very skinny. My weight was for a long time, 115lbs. I put on a lot of weight in the last year. But if you saw me with my clothes on you would say im still a skinny girl... They measured me at the gym. And last year I was 10 lbs lighter and I was 27% body fat (measured at another gym).
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    Thats why BMI is not something I take very seriously.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you and you're not in pain or feeling fatigued, go for it!
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    Oh my god. Whats wrong with you? I've worked and studied since I was 18. And I am waiting to start as a flight attendant in March. In case YOU dont know, you ignorant woman, in my country its VERY hard to get a job, and I worked my *kitten* off to get accepted on this airline. It is NONE of your business how I can afford it. Get a life, hating on people on myfitnesspal, really? I feel sorry for you
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    And as usual thanks to everyone who gave their honest opinion. I value every single one of them. Thanks for being so encouraging
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thanks in advance!!

Hold up. How the heck are you 30% body fat? How did you measure this? You're at the lower end of what's considered normal weight for your height.

Lower lean mass, higher fat mass.
    Very easy to be at a lower healthy weight and have a high body fat.

OP, since you have the time, look into actual strength programs like AllPro, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting.

Theyll take you more time at the gym and get yiu better results. You wont be lifting daily. Every other day. Use the off days for cardio and stretching
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    On 7x a week eventually you are going to burn out..there is nothing wrong with one, one hundred percent rest day ..

Also, if you are just starting out, I would say ditch the machines and focus on free weights, compound movements, and lifting heavy ; maybe your trainer can show you these..?

I would recommend picking up a copy of starting strength and then incorporating a program where you are utilizing squats, deadlifts, rows, bench press, overhead press, chin up/pull ups and then build program around these moves.

You could go with a four day upper/lower split and then mix in some cardio on off days. 5x5 is a good beginner program as well..
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you're listening to your body and you feel good. I can always tell when I need a rest day because I will have muscle aches. If you're not overdoing it, keep doing what works. :)
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    I am looking into the 5x5, its supposed to create muscle while burning fat... Just what I need! Thank you so much!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eh. Not a fan of exercising just to exercise. I think you will get bored and should try to find something physical you want to actually commit to. Whether that's lofting, running, cycling, tennis, doesn't matter. If you're not training with a purpose you're not maximizing your time.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thanks in advance!!

I workout every day. I don't see why it would be an issue if you listen to your body... E.g. If you feel as though you are dealing with muscle pain take an 'off-day'.