Can Whey Protein aid Weight Loss??

I'm 30y/F/5-3/CW 172.

Net Calories Consumed* / Day - 1,600 cal/day (Carbs 160.0 g/ Fat 53.0 g/ Protein 120.0 g)

1. Can someone please tell me if it is ok to have whey protein? I'm currently drinking with banana & 1% milk after workouts (Insanity) for 1) muscle recovery & 2) to meet my protein quota for the day! I'm eggetarian (eggs+vegetarian) so my main source of protein comes from lentils, eggs & protein shake.

I would appreciate any advice or a different perspective which can help my weight loss.
I've been seeing little bit of inch loss, but my weight scale is not moving much (in fact increasing); and that's frustrating.

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Protein supplements don't directly aid weight loss. If you want to lose weight then reevaluate your daily diet and decrease the amount of animal protein (dairy, meat, eggs) and eliminate refined white carbohydrates. Include and increase your fruit and vegetable consumption, they will make you more full with every meal and help increase metabolic processes that in turn help in weight loss.
  • Please don't listen to this advice. Whey Protein by itself will not help you lose body weight directly BUT it will help you put on lean muscle mass which will help you burn more calories just sitting around. DO NOT decrease protein.....
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    I never said decrease in protein. I said decrease in animal protein (higher fat) and can be replaced with vegetable/beans/nuts protein sources.
    Please don't listen to this advice. Whey Protein by itself will not help you lose body weight directly BUT it will help you put on lean muscle mass which will help you burn more calories just sitting around. DO NOT decrease protein.....
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    I use whey protein and feel that it has helped me lose weight. I do eat meat, though I don't like it, and find myself short on my protein macros most the time. I use protein powder in refrigerator oats and in shakes too. My net numbers are lower than yours though.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    No it won't aid weightloss.

You do not need to take a supplement in protein unless you are deficient in daily intake from regular foods. Many people get greater satiety from eating protein vs carbs, though there is nothing wrong with carbs.

Therefore, eat plenty of protein (meats and greek yogurts and other sources). 1g/lb of LBM.

If you are falling short on a daily basis or are pressed for time to prepare foods, you can supplement with a whey or casein protein.

To lose weight, eat less calories than you burn daily / weekly.

Sorry, did not see you were egg-tarian!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Please don't listen to this advice. Whey Protein by itself will not help you lose body weight directly BUT it will help you put on lean muscle mass which will help you burn more calories just sitting around. DO NOT decrease protein.....

it will probably help her maintain her lbm, she may not put on much lbm in a deficit, sans newbie gains.

ETA I see she's doing insanity so she really may not have much newbie gains.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Protein shakes are perfectly fine to help meet your daily nutritional goals. There is nothing special about them that will specifically help you lose weight, but they can help you meet your nutritional goals which in turn helps you lose weight.

BUT, you realize whey is milk protein, right? IDK how strict you are about being an ovo-vegetarian but whey is dairy. There are egg protein powders you could alternately use.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    I only have whey protein after a tough work-out. It's not to lose weight, but to keep my lean muscle (which in the long run helps lose weight). I prefer to get my protein from other sources, like greek yogurt, but drinking a whey protein shake after my work-out is a better way to replenish after a big calorie burn.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Protein supplements don't directly aid weight loss. If you want to lose weight then reevaluate your daily diet and decrease the amount of animal protein (dairy, meat, eggs) and 3eliminate refined white carbohydrates. Include and increase your fruit and vegetable consumption, they will make you more full with every meal and help increase metabolic processes that in turn help in weight loss.
    Wow, so much "no" in one post.

Op, yes, using whey as a protein supplement is fine. It will neither hinder nor hasten your weight loss, not specifically. If it is helping you meet your protein needs for the day and you are remaining in your calorie goal then all is well.

If you just started the Insanity program then the increased exercise may cause water retention, which leads to temporary weight gain. This should eventually stabilize. If, after several weeks, your weight is still unchanged then you are eating more than you need. If you are not already weighing your food start now: underestimation of intake is a common problem...as is overestimation of calorie burn from exercise. Make sure those are in order, and if you're still not losing then you need to consider increasing activity or decreasing intake.
  • She will not gain LMS I agree, BUT it will help her keep more of what she has. When you diet for long periods of time in a deficit it is impossible to maintain it all.
  • Khushi22
    Khushi22 Posts: 47 Member
    Protein shakes are perfectly fine to help meet your daily nutritional goals. There is nothing special about them that will specifically help you lose weight, but they can help you meet your nutritional goals which in turn helps you lose weight.

BUT, you realize whey is milk protein, right? IDK how strict you are about being an ovo-vegetarian but whey is dairy. There are egg protein powders you could alternately use.

Yes, I'm fine with Dairy (though sometimes with certain cheese, I feel that I am border-line lactose-intolerant!)
    Yes, my main purpose of Whey Protein Shake is
    1. To meet my daily protein goal requirement
    2. To not have muscle pains after Insanity workouts!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Whey protein is just food. Treat it like any other food. Control your calories, get enough protein, get enough fat, get several servings of fruit and veggies, and exercise. That's really all there is to it.
  • Khushi22

it will probably help her maintain her lbm, she may not put on much lbm in a deficit, sans newbie gains.

ETA I see she's doing insanity so she really may not have much newbie gains.

sorry I didn't get - "maintain her ibm" part & "... sans newbie gains" kindly please explain :):)

As I had replied to someone else: I am having whey protein for - 1) to meet my daily protein goal 2) muscle recovery/no muscle pains!
    I was just concen if this is causing me **NOT** to lose weight?!?!?
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    She will not gain LMS I agree, BUT it will help her keep more of what she has. When you diet for long periods of time in a deficit it is impossible to maintain it all.

^ This - you want to maximise fat loss and avoid lean muscle loss during dieting.

Doesn't matter where you get your protein from but too much meat is meant to be bad for you (Well too much of anything is) and I struggle to get my daily protein requirements without a protein shake or a protein bar/cookie most days.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Too much meat is bad for you?

How much is too much?
  • Khushi22

Op, yes, using whey as a protein supplement is fine. It will neither hinder nor hasten your weight loss, not specifically. If it is helping you meet your protein needs for the day and you are remaining in your calorie goal then all is well.

If you just started the Insanity program then the increased exercise may cause water retention, which leads to temporary weight gain. This should eventually stabilize. If, after several weeks, your weight is still unchanged then you are eating more than you need. If you are not already weighing your food start now: underestimation of intake is a common problem...as is overestimation of calorie burn from exercise. Make sure those are in order, and if you're still not losing then you need to consider increasing activity or decreasing intake.

Thanks so much!! :) I'll keep it in mind.
    I started with 1200 cals/day... then i discovered from MFP, something called macros/BMR/TDEE... too overwhelming, but trying to eat @ 1600 cals/day now since past 5 days.
  • Khushi22

Thanks soo much!!! Its very encouraging to know!!!! :):):)
  • kuroneko1082
    kuroneko1082 Posts: 6 Member
    Khushi22,

I am 31yr/F/5-10/CW 182,

One and half weeks ago, I started on my journey to health. My goal weight is between 155 and 165, depending on how much muscle I decide to build as I go. I am currently on a 1300-cal/day (carbs: 65g, fat: 29, protein: 195). This might seem extreme to some people, but honestly, this is quite close to what I grew up eating. I have only been eating bad for the last 5 yrs and I usually eat back half of my calories burned from working out, so my intake is actually closer to 1400-1500 per day. I do eat meat, but I tend to steer clear of red meat due to GI issues. I also get my protein from Vega One, which has Saviseed, Pea, Hemp and Sprouted Brown Rice Protein in it instead of Whey Protein. As you are mainly vegetarian, I would recommend going with a protein supplement that is plant-based instead of dairy. Protein does help you lose weight, but also cutting your daily calorie intake will assist with that. I am also taking Casein Protein before I go to bed as this is a slower burning protein which helps my muscles recover better while I am sleeping. Some of these are specifically made for being taken before bedtime, so they will also have ingredients that will assist with relaxation and sleep, like chamomile and/or melatonin. In response to the comment about over-estimation of calorie burn from working out, I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor with the chest strap. The receiver is in a sports watch form and the transmitter is right on the chest strap. They are more accurate than the machines with the hand sensors and most of them will read off of the chest strap so you don't have to keep your hands on the sensors. Most HRM's also track how many calories you have burned and it is much more accurate. Polar has a nice one called the FT7 that I found on sale on Amazon last Friday that only cost $71 instead of the $120 something it sells for on Polar's site. It was brand new in the box, in case there is concern about that. There is also the FT4 which has a few less features and costs a bit less. Good luck on everything Khashi22.
  • Khushi22
    Thank you all !