Encouragement needed

Options
Hello everyone! I'm back to fitness pal again, but new to the message boards. I sure hope that I have posted this correctly:smile: I lost a lot of weight back in '08 on my own by counting calories despite having severe osteoarthritis in both knees! I did it though, and then I found out that I was expecting another child. I gained almost all of that weight back and then I lost almost all of the pregnancy weight. I then had a series of health problems, surgeries back to back (had a total thyroidectomy & tonsil surgery) then I gained back all of the weight that I lost. I'm really having a hard time and I'm feeling pretty sad:frown: . Please help.

Replies

• ITJava
    ITJava Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    While I can't relate to the pregnancy aspect being a male I can certainly relate to the feeling of gaining lost weight back :sad: . I personally lost about 60 pounds a year and a half ago and the combination of a moving across state and getting a new job has brought me back to my old familiar self. Life is always going to find ways to get you down but the most important thing to do is to always pick yourself back up. If you need a friend on here feel free to add me, I may have more weight to lose but I'm always happy to help :smile: .
  • claumgr
    claumgr Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Hurtingkees45!! I'm sorry to hear all of this =( losing weight is not an easy journey for sure, specially after having kids! I have 2 and its been tough! you just have to set your mind on healthy mode and once you start it will get easier, specially when you start seeing results you will not want to stop. It is hard like I said but you will feel much better about yourself and your kids will see a happy mommy and that is very important!! I hate counting calories, what I do is try to eat clean, which means I try to eat as many vegetables and fruits as I can along with lean protein, try not to eat processed foods those are the worst!!!! change is hard that's why you have to start little by little and trust me you will get use too it.. I am a wellness coach and what I tell all of my clients is that in order for you to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle you need 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, as long as you are eating right you will start seeing results!! try going for short walks, or do some exercise that will not be hard on your knee =)
  • Hurtinknees45
    Options
    Thanks! It's just really difficult with arthritis in both knees to exercise. I was thinking about gastric bypass, but I think that's kind of extreme. I have an exercise bike and a treadmill. I think that I just lost my will to exercise again especially after total thyroidectomy:frown:
  • Hurtinknees45
    Options
  • kiwoloshin
    Options
    Hi My name is Karen and congrats on the new baby. Sorry for all the health issues you had. I to lost a lot of weight then I had a hysterectomy and became very depressed and gain all the weight back plus some. I have just started back right before Christmas to loss this weight. I was going to have to buy a larger size pants and when I was checking out I looked up at my husband and said NO I am not doing this. I but the cloths down and we went To Emerald City Gym and have working out every other day. There are having a biggest loser comp. that started today and I joined to do this. You are on here and starting again that right there is GREAT and you should be very proud of your self for getting started. This is a great site for fitness. Remember you are worth it. If you feel good about yourself your family also wins and you will show your children the correct way to live healthy and happy. On here we can friend each other and watch each others process and be accountable to each other if you would like my name is Karen Woloshin. I know you will do great.
  • acassanova
    acassanova Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HI! You can do it!!!! I don't call it dieting I call it clean eating! and when you eat good food actually tastes better!!! the secret I have learned is to not eat super low calories like I used to! because when I did that... I gained 50 pounds back as soon as I upped my calories because they were sooooo low for so long!
    So right now I am 5'5 weighing 202.. I eat between 1600-1900 daily! And i am still losing weight!!! If working out is hard on you ( which I totally understand because it is hard working out if in pain or heavier) just watch what you eat.. eat plain Greek yogurt mixed with some brown sugar, and a pear or even pb... it is the bomb!! it is just things like that that really make a huge difference.

Don't be too harsh on yourself! You are AWESOME and can accomplish this!! :)
  • lovetotravel04
    lovetotravel04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey there, how much weight do you want to lose?
    So sorry about arthritis in your knees, that must not be real fun. I have arthritis in my hands, hips and lower back so I get what you mean.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Arthritis sure doesn't help :-(

But WELCOME BACK!

Feel free to add me, and regardless, if you haven't read this MFP classic, do!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Also (and I'm sorry about the title, not calling you obese!), this is another really encouraging (if long) article about food & exercise:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Wishing you all success!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ITJava
    ITJava Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can defiantly recommend biking as a great cardio for people with leg issues. While my knees function ok I've had perthes in my left leg since childhood that has stopped all attempts at high impact cardio. While walking is what a lot of people start on and love sometimes if you have leg issues it's just not viable long term. I have found 30 min on my recumbent bike does me more good than walking ever did and with less worry of injury.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to My Fitness Pal. Congrats on the new baby. I too had thyroid surgery after losing over 50 pounds. I have gained some of the weight back, but I am slowly losing it again. I find if I walk at least 10,000 steps per day, that seems to help. It is a lot of walking though. There are groups on My Fitness Pal that might help for hyperthyroid and hypothyroid. as well as others you can join for various reasons. :smile:
  • Hurtinknees45
    Options
    @ ITJava Thanks! I sent a friend request. I had to fiqure out how to do it first, ha ha. Not that great when it comes to message boards, etc.:embarassed:
  • Hurtinknees45
    Options
    @skinnyme47 I had that baby a few years ago, lol. I had total thyroidectomy (TT) in 2012. I just can't seem to lose this weight. It's hard when you have to wait for the doctor to get your levothyroxine regulated.:frown:
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you can get to a pool say at a college or high school you might find a water aerobics class. I have Psoriatic arthritis and PAD so I can definitely relate to the let pain. Water exercise is the very best and very low impact on the extremities. Good luck and feel free to friend me for encouragement. By the way I can relate to the pregnancy weight. I had 8 kids and if I have all the weight off right now I have taken off in my life time you could bury me in a shoe box. LOL:bigsmile: I am 70 years old and have lost 33 lbs in the last year and a half. I wasn't trying that hard over the last year.
  • Hurtinknees45
    Options
    @nancyluckhurs. That's funny what you said about the shoe box:laugh: Yes it would be nice to swim now in my pool, but the weather is literally freezing :sad: I don't know about going to any local place to swim:embarassed:
  • amysgottadothisthang
    Options
    I feel for you! I too have knee issues. But......u can do it!! Slow and steady wins the race!!!!!! If you can afford a personal trainer, GET ONE! Mine helped me to strengthen the muscles around my knees and that helped tremendously! My knees are still "snap crackle and pop" but are not near as painful as they were before I started exercising!

You would really benefit from water aerobics as well! Good luck to you! YOU can do this!!!!!!! xoxooxoxox:happy:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Had a total thyroidectomy.
    MFP has "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I know how illnesses and being ill because of them can cause problems in getting healthy.
    When I am feeling sad I have 3 quotes I like to tell myself which are:

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
    -Muhammad Ali

"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
    -Nido Qubein

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!"
    -Audrey Hepburn

I hope those help you some ^_^ Remember believe you can do it and you are halfway there!
  • 2014you
    Options
    55134427.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Leanmeup53
    Leanmeup53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't feel sad, pregnancy weight is the best kind to lose! Just think about your goals and start a diary or just use this one to log your foods, hope it gets easier.
  • Hurtinknees45
    Options
    Well I had my last child a few years ago. After multiple times at weight loss I then had to get a total thyroidectomy. I also have bone on bone in both knees. Too young for knee replacement. Taking one day at a time. Thank you everybody for you words of encouragement! Sometimes having that from other people besides your own family is helpful because the family can only understand so much. They don't feel my pain. I have kids ranging from their 20's down to really young, so I do need to do this, "one last time" :smile: